Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

World Cup woes & advice needed.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As some of you know I'd arranged to go to Chamonix for the world cup next weekend, I'm taking my mum who isn't a skier but is a very big armchair fan, and to was hoping to get some nice pics too.
Of course, they’ve now moved the Chamonix races to Val D'Isere but I've already booked, flights, accom, the lot, for Chamonix.! Sad I did consider canceling and losing my money but after much thought I'm buggered if I'm going all that way and not seeing any racing so I'm now considering driving (I'll get a hire car) from Chamonix to Val D'Isere for maybe a practice day and a race day (I'm in Chamonix for four days). I don't imagine I'd get any reasonable single night accommodation or I'd consider doing an overnighter.

I’ve already posed this question to a couple of folk who are local to the area, but thought I’d throw it open to the collective wisdom Smile

So, I’m wondering stuff like:

Is the plan, and the drive, feasible? (AA route planner says a couple of hours what of drive is it?)
How accessible is the finish area or course at Val D'Isere ?
Will I get parked up or have to park up outside and get a bus, etc, ?
Will I need tickets ? (As opposed to Chamonix where you access is free)

Cheers,

Jerry.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The finish area for the OK course is very convenient, just by the La Daille village as soon as you arrive at Val d'Isere. There is a free outdoor car park nearby (although this gets filled quite early) and a pay underground car park on the opposite side of the road. Both of these are very convenient for the race course.

You can get right alongside the finish area without needing tickets, as well as a reserved enclosure for ticket holders (but this doesn't have that much of a better view that the public area especially if you stake out a place fairly early on race day). There is a giant TV screen in the finish area which has live coverage of the racer on course. There are also several good vantage points alongside the course up the mountain. My favourite is the terrace of the Trifolieto (sp?) restaurant - there's a great view of one of the jumps, and the racers zoom past an unbelievable speeds. If you can get to one of the training days it's much easier to get up close to the racers and say hello if you want to.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jerry, may be worth contacting the tourist office, there might be rooms available as there will be many people in the same situation as youself that won't bother to try and move, the drive last time i did it took about 2-2 1/2 hours if i remember correctly , the road will get pretty busy [read manic] on race day so staying in town could be a good option
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="Jerry"]Stewart,

Quote:
Is the plan, and the drive, feasible? (AA route planner says a couple of hours)

Plan & drive feasible, but more like 3 hours. Route would be via Annecy/Albertville as some passes closed during winter

Quote:
How accessible is the finish area or course at Val D'Isere ?

finish area accesiable on foot approx 100meters from road & bus stop

Quote:
Will I get parked up etc, or have to park up outside and get a bus, etc, ?

Should be ok to park near by & walk/free bus

Quote:
Will I need tickets ? (As opposed to Chamonix where you access is free)

I think access is free

Stewart

stewart woodward, If I was driving it I would go through the Val d'Arly instead of going to Annecy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Val D'Arly open,unless there is some seriously snowy,cold weather before the weekend.That should take no longer than 2.5 hours.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jerry,

Nice idea and thought.

Know anyone in the Bourg area for overnighting?

Val D Arly...get upto the minute advice on that and winter tyres.
Practice day is the best day in some respects and position yourself at the BIG jumps for that as they often just go for the biggest air if they are in that mood. You might not find it easy to pick out whi is who tho'
On Race day get near a TV screen if poss, so you can see who is running
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks folks.
I've been to Les Houches a couple of times before and the practice days have always been great, got some great pics and able to speak to Finlay, Konrad, Nick from Channel 4 etc.
Usually watched from the finish but had grand plans to get up the course a bit this year but with the move and not knowing Val will see how it looks (Will be pedestrian so won't be able to ski down to the course or to Rob's restuarant)

Been chatting to PG about it over on Mysnowsports and Val is full apparently and Tignes have been putting people up to cope.
Think I'm going for the Friday practice & Super Combi on the Sunday and hoping it's a bit less well attended than the downhill as it always seems to be in Chamonix. All a bit of an adventure which may be a success or may not, it'll be different though Very Happy

Advice seems split on the route - Albertville, long way round but motorway, Val D'arly, shorter but through mountain roads - at that about the size of it ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy