Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keep up the good work Carled!

Poster: A snowHead
Agree 100% with you Carled, the charts are clearly looking up for all.

Don't let that Mild Ramper win wink

within: http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=35492&st=204
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha. I give up with that lot. With very few exceptions they are so far up their own arrises in there, it's not true. Generally speaking, if it's not happening in England, they just don't want to know about it. I'm seeing some exceptionally promising signs in the gfs charts for the alps still from about the 20th/21st. It's getting close to the reliable timeframe and I still reckon it's looking much colder and snowy. People going this week, unlucky... people going next week (starting 20th/21st), if the snow doesn't disrupt your skiing too much, you could be in for great week. Fingers crossed that the temps continue to stay cold beyond the end of the current forecasts...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carled, do you reckon the snow will reach andorra or is it still borderline ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andorra is borderline... The cold is coming down from the North East and Andorra is very close to the mild muck affecting the UK. It could still benefit a bit, but not as much as places further North and East, I don't think... but I'm an enthusiastic amateur, not an expert so I could be way wrong.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carled, I agree with you totally. The current GFS models are looking very encouraging indeed. So much so that I am starting to feel excitedly confident for when I fly out on the 27th January. Cheers for all your help and guidance in learning how to interpret the GFS models etc. It feels good to finally be able to understand what you, skanky, brian and others are talking about.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
excellant news,is it possible to say roughly how long this one will last,im out on the 27th aswell.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
notverygoodatskiing, my suspicion is that if the models turn out to be correct then the snow that falls between the 20th - 27th Jan should be sufficient to ensure a fantastic week for those of us flying on the 27th Jan. Who knows, it may even snow some more the week commencing the 27th. Now wouldn't that be a real treat! snowHead However, the current models don't go as far ahead as that so we can only hope.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
im really hoping for a decent dump of snow before the 27th,and would really like a good dump while im there,wouldnt mind if i had to give up a day or two on the slopes to see it as ive never experienced a good fall,only the 2 cm's a year i see here Smile (maybe i just want too much)but what ever the conditions it will be a great holiday,where are you going hornster?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hornster, I hope your right as I'm out there on the 27th too. Where are you going? I'm in Pas.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Michael B, going to Bansko in Bulgaria. I spent xmas in Sestriere and although the pistes were compact, fast and kept topped up with snow cannons, it just isn't the same as fresh real snow and some powder to play in!! Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Woo hoo!!!!, I've been ill with gallstones for most of this week and have spent more time lurking on snowHead than ever before. Starting to get to grips with all this modelling-speak and becoming aware of the extent of some Snowheads' expertise wink .

I'm driving to Les Arcs with the family on 26th, so I'm hoping that you're all correct but not so correct that we cannot get up the hill. Also praying that the blasted stones don't flare up again before then. Once there, I won't care, as I'm sure that Messrs Cocodamol and Dicloflex will handle any such problems for me!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carled, this more the French Alps or are we talking Austria here as well?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well. Last two runs yesterday weren't good. However, one of them (the 18z I think) appeared to be a mild outlier (of all the bits of string in the ensembles graph, a mild outlier is one that is kind of out on it's own at the extreme top of the chart - likewise you can get spectacular looking charts caused by the run following a cold outlier at the bottom - very few of the other ensemble runs support it, hence it's unlikey to happen... but still possible)

The 6z run this morning is great from about the 21st to the 24th/25th, with the high pressure over the uk & Ireland and the low over Italy/the Med causing a lovely cold plume coming down from the arctic over Scandinavia and into the alps, but then two high pressure systems join forces above Russia, forming an impenetrable block for the arctic air to get through and the cold air is cut off and marooned, to slowly sink southwards leaving warm air pooling in an enormous european high that covers the whole continent pretty much. That situation is not good and looks to happen on or just after the weekend of the 27th/28th. If the high pressure centred itself over Scandinavia then it would allow the clockwise circulating air (air circulates clockwise around high pressure systems and anti-clockwise around low pressure systems in the Northern hemisphere) to pull down cold air from the Arctic over europe, but with a greater European high, the air is forced much further East (hence the cold temps in Turkey/Greece area) than is usual.

Still, a week or so of colder temps and some snow before a return to warmer (but not as catastrophically mild as will be happening this week) is better than poke in the eye with a sharp stick, eh?

There's precipitation forecast all over the place in the alps for that week, even including Andorra, so all should see the benefits... just a bit concerned about that blocking high showing in the future, hoping it'll go away on subsequent charts. Also concerned about the effects the upcoming week is about to have on the slopes. It's gonna get WARM!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled, very good summary of the models. I was knocked for suggesting two weeks ago that the GFS models were forcasting two weeks of very mild weather, even warm, this has so far been spot on. The GFS has been very accurate this season and from next weekend temps are getting down to what they should be and there is precipitation forecast, my only worry would be the that it will be cold enough but the precipitation will head in a different direction. That said its looking better and I guess if this gets downgraded now and doesn't arrive we could be facing a bleak February. Fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanx carled,heres hoping for the cold stuff,still looks like it will be a good week before i go on the 27th,might get sunburnt while im there though
snow conditions
carled, what do you make of this run?

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_2342_ens.png
snow report
Hornster, That's a long way East! Oh, hang on... you're the one going to Bansko, aren't you? Well.. up until the 23rd... a bit warm, but from then on, the ensemble middle is around freezing or below and there's precipitation around. Looks good enough for snow to me, but a lot of ensemble disagreement towards the end. A few members are plumping for mild, but not many, so fingers crossed, a bit of fresh white stuff there. Just need it to continue cold afterwards.
ski holidays
carled, yes, i'm the one going to Bansko. I didn't think it is looking too bad at this stage. Would I be correct in saying that if it carries on consolidating between now and a few days time, is it likely to be more certain for a decent amount of snowfall?
latest report
I just hope it comes forward a day or two, as I'm off to Engelberg on the 19th Smile 6z looked a lot better than the 00z GFS run Very Happy

EDIT: the 12z seems to have pushed the cold drop back a day, so warmer for longer, and also made it shorter, with a rise again in temps !!

Hope it's just a blip, still a fair few days out, and not all the runs seem to have lined up.....

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
Flaming crikey! I know it's called the "pub run" as it tends to get drunk and go off on one and, at the time of posting I have no idea if it's a cold outlier (see earlier posts to learn what a cold or warm outlier is if you don't understand) but the 18z is an absolute corker of a run! Yes please! Snow & cold EVERYWHERE, Greenland high forming, northerlies & easterlies developing... all very, very good news for cold & snow.

I really hope the 00z doesn't spoil the party and that this turned out to be a drunken cold outlier...

Snow for UK too... any part... from about Weds on if things continue like this...
snow report
Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy