Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

left and right skis?

Poster: A snowHead
May sound like a stupid question, but does it matter which feet you wear your skis on? Is there a left and right?

I was thinking that it might be an idea to change them around every so often to prevent the inside edges getting more wear than the outside.

Stupid?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, in terms of wear and tear, and fatigue.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
element, - is there a forum member called Stupid?

Stupid!, your sevices are required..

Although, sounds kinda feasable but i never know which is left and which is right so i think mine get even wear (or well i hope they do)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stankane, You could always try marking them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
element wrote:

I was thinking that it might be an idea to change them around every so often to prevent the inside edges getting more wear than the outside.

If you don't know which is which, they kind of do this by themselves over time. By statistical chance they should end up with approx 50% use on each foot Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, would you recommend switching skis around from time to time, if they've got different graphics on each ski and you can tell left from right?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's best just to put them on randomly, rather than mark them. having said that I have seen folks who tune their skis differently on the inside & outside edges, so left & right then become critical.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My skis are marked up left and right tuned that way and I can tell if I have them on the wrong feet Embarassed

Doesn't make me ski any better Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
in the days when we used to go in for alignment my husband had wedges under his bindings, thicker on the left foot than the right, so he had to have them marked. He got some funny looks outside restaurants sometimes muttering about left and right. Now he has no wedges and puts them on at random.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
element wrote:
May sound like a stupid question, but does it matter which feet you wear your skis on?

I find it works best if you put them on your own feet.

element wrote:
Is there a left and right?

Yes, my left foot is at the bottom of my left leg, and I've discovered by checking over many years that my right foot is at the bottom of my right leg. It may be the same for you too.

element wrote:

I tend to swap mine over at lunch time, BUT, if I find that after lunch they aren't working as well, I might swap them back again, and give the edges a sharpening in the evening.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I tend to favour a right ski and a left ski.... even though there probably isn't anything in it
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depends on the bindings - both the pairs of skis I'm doing most of my skiing on have a left and right ski as they have tele bindings (Voile 3pin and cable or 7TM), but my old downhill and AT skis will go on either foot.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not sure if it is still the case, but I had a pair of skis a few years ago, where the technician told me one was supposed to left and the other right. They both had a slightly different profile on the cut.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have my skis marked left and right.

The idea behind it is to change them round half way through the week so that the edges remain fresh - especially important if skiing in icy conditions. Years back (in the 80's) when I bought skis the shop would put stickers on them marking left and right.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Left and right skis? no way. I'm lucky if I can get my underpants on the right way round.
snow report
Darling hubby has to have his Missions on the correct feet or the graphics look wrong. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Sage wrote:

The idea behind it is to change them round half way through the week so that the edges remain fresh - especially important if skiing in icy conditions. Years back (in the 80's) when I bought skis the shop would put stickers on them marking left and right.

snowHead

Wouldn't you be better changing them around more often in that case? I sharpen my edges almost every night so it doesn't make much difference to me. If I damage an edge on rocks during the day, I usually swap the skis over for the rest of the day until I can fix it.
snow report
The only time I've really problems is when I've been skiing with two left skis.
ski holidays
petemillis wrote:
The only time I've really problems is when I've been skiing with two left skis.

Feels like that most days for me Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Have a look at the comment I made on the 'Piste' board about the ski's getting knicked. Someone made the comment about marking the skis and that made it easy to see which was which. I've added a note to that thread as to why was this important - now I've come here and seen this thread. Talk about great minds.......
ski holidays
I dont really understand this swapping skis around. Imagine, your right ski's inside edge, becomes you left ski's uphill edge, do you lot only ski on one ski? Puzzled
snow conditions
element, SZK beat me to it .... I had always wondered how folks managed to ski by limiting themselves to only ever turning one way.

in December 2005 at my first ever lesson I asked the instructor which ski went on which foot .. Embarassed now THAT is stupid ! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Megamum, I missed that one, do you have a link or a quick summary. Very Happy

snowHead
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I dont really understand this swapping skis around. Imagine, your right ski's inside edge, becomes you left ski's uphill edge, do you lot only ski on one ski? Puzzled

When you turn left, your right ski inside edge is the most heavily loaded.
When you turn right, your left ski inside edge is the most heavily loaded.

So both outside edges get an easier time and will tend to wear less if the skis are never swapped
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, Laughing
snow conditions
Sage, Its on the front page of the Piste at the moment - entitled 'How do you', but the best discussion has been here - I posted to the Piste thread before seeing this lot of discussion
snow report
Megamum, Thanks, they are being far nicer to you on this thread Toofy Grin

snowHead
snow conditions
Yes - I mark mine with my initials - very clearly near the tip - so I know which is which. I think this makes them even more unattractive to nick - and certainly less likely to be nicked by accident, and I do notice a difference if I put them on the other way round - which I will do sometimes if Icy. Probably this is because like most people I ski slightly differently on prot and starboard tack, and I suspect the skis become conditioned to this after a while. But this may all be tosh.

Do racers ski on left/right differentiated skis?

I also wear Left and Right marked socks...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
......... and C&A underpants?
latest report
Having read this thread from top to bottom and left to right it seems that some people have problems identifying their left and right feet. So to simplify matters just remember that>
Your left foot is where the big toe is on the right and the right foot is where the big toe is on the left. There you go simple really. Laughing
snow conditions
richmond, (Some of ) The old ones are the best.
stoatsbrother, Some slalom skis have different shape plastic/rubber tips so are differentiated. But the tips can be swapped over.
latest report
Sage wrote:

The idea behind it is to change them round half way through the week so that the edges remain fresh

snowHead

I do the same but switch them round at lunchtime. If they weren't marked I'd probably end up putting them on the same feet all the time because you pick them up and put them in the ski rack the same way each time.

I thought that was was everyone did?! Shocked
latest report
Quote:
Yes, my left foot is at the bottom of my left leg, and I've discovered by checking over many years that my right foot is at the bottom of my right leg. It may be the same for you too.

It may be the same, but somehow I doubt element's feet are at the bottom of your legs.
latest report
I was beginning to wonder why i kept falling over.
snow report
If you never swap them round you'll only ever have to pay Syderjon half as much to sharpen them Laughing
snow report
Sharkymark, But twice as often wink
snow report
racers have differentiated right & left ski's don't they? Puzzled
latest report
rpft, Yep.
snow conditions
My skis are identical, but my Tyrolia bindings are marked "L" & "R." Don't ask me why, they look identical to me, but they must be marked that way for a reason so I do as I am told!
snow conditions
the ice perv, It is dead simple, it is to stop you having to ask which is which. Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy