Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot remoulding, new liner, or new pair?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of 2016 Atomic Hawx 120 that I have skied about 18 weeks.

When they were new they were moulded to my feet and fitted perfectly on the loosest buckle setting, with no heel lift or movement.

Now, on pretty much the the tightest buckle setting, they allow quite a lot of movement, and my left foot has significant heel lift. I definitely don't have the same control I did.

What should I do? Is it worth taking them to a boot fitter to get remoulded or a new liner? Or should I accept that 18 weeks of aggressive skiing is their lifetime and they need replacing?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
New boots. Go visit Ski exchange.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tccambs, quite a lot of boot improvement in 8 years and you’ve got some decent service out of them. I’d get a new pair.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
An alternative viewpoint: a lot of the advances in boot technology are in the freeride/touring space. I'm not convinced the same goes for pure alpine boots. 18 weeks really isn't that much for a shell, which could easily last twice that long. The liner, on the other hand, is likely worn out. I'd start by looking at replacement liners, unless there's obvious physical damage to the shells.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had similar problems with my boots, in which I've done a lot longer than 18 weeks, though I don't ski 'aggressively'. I saved up for a new pair and took myself off to CEM's Solutions4Feet to be fitted. There I had my clips fettled and some cork injected into my somewhat packed Zipfit custom liners. No more movement in loose boots. Very satisfied customer. So I think a trip to a good bootfitter might pay dividends.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was told a few weeks ago that boot liners are only good for 180 days of skiing.
The shells last 5 years (perhaps it was 10 I've forgotten)
So your 18 weeks is pretty close to being used up.
I think its time for a new pair of boots.

As you live in Cambridge the Ski Exchange in Dry Drayton is the place to visit, they have a serious boot lab.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for the advice.

I guess the best thing to do would be to contact the ski exchange and arrange to bring my boots to them. It sounds like they can probably be relied upon to advise me on the refitting vs replacement question, as the wisdom of the crowd is split.

I do like skiing off piste and have enjoyed some touring in the past. Although these boots are a little stiff for it and don't have walk settings or pin bindings, I've never found this nearly as limiting as a poor fit. And none of the technological advances seem worth dropping £600!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boots are a decade old.

Buy new ones.

Lighter, tighter, shinier, etc.

Fit a molded liner.

Try a different brand, like Nordica.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mgrolf wrote:
An alternative viewpoint: a lot of the advances in boot technology are in the freeride/touring space. I'm not convinced the same goes for pure alpine boots. 18 weeks really isn't that much for a shell, which could easily last twice that long. The liner, on the other hand, is likely worn out. I'd start by looking at replacement liners, unless there's obvious physical damage to the shells.

+1!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Liners are done. Depending on state of shells you may wish to hold firm and get new liners.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe Zip liners, talk to CEM. I have them in mine, a good product.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tccambs, What size boots do you have? I got a bargain pair of Dalbello DS 120 shells for sale size 28.5. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zipfit is a great liner, but on an 8 year old shell i would probably just say start from scratch, materials and shell shapes have improved over that time
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone recommend someone in/near London (apart from Profeet)?

My liners are knackered and I recently had to blow out the shells myself, due to changes to my feet. Heat gun and foam pad on my foot did the trick, but my investigations showed that my liners are shot. It worked, but all I've done is extend life if the boots for this season, in which I have 3 weeks of skiing left to do.

Mine are 2018 Atomic Hawx Ultra, and I've done about 20 weeks on them. I quite fancy the new Atomic Hawx Ultra Professional with the foam injection liners. Expensive, but I have weird flat feet and the beginnings of a tailors bunion. And I abuse my boots, with plenty of jumping and messing about.

Other option is to get a new liner (you can get the fancy Atomic one for oldnshells), but I suspect this is a false economy as when the shells are gone, a single fit injection foam liner will need to be binned along with them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Harry Flashman, Ski Bartlett is sort of on the edge of London - Hillingdon. Would that do? Depends a bit where you live, but it only takes me about 30-40 minutes to drive there, and I live in SW London, ie not on the 'right' side for Hillingdon.
latest report
I'm also S London - thanks!
ski holidays
@Harry Flashman, no worries. I've never got boots there myself (I get my skis serviced there) but they come highly recommended for boots by many people on the forum.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy