Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Socks when fitting boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If I decide to go for boots (I'll see what A.I. says about Skee-tex when they get back to us) what should I wear on my feet for the fitting? I'm guessing the ones I intend to ski in. The thing is that I have read a lot here about thin socks being best, but I am a chilly mortal. I've got, not hugely thick ones, but the ones with the looping in the back of the fabric, and I typically wear them over nylon stockings, I just couldn't abide to get cold feet whilst out skiing, so have never skied with anything thinner. What do you think, should I wear the same if I decide to go for the boots.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you should get better socks (nylon?!! ugh.) Good quality wool or whatever - Thorlo do nice ones, I seem to remember.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well mum always told me that a pair of tights under everything was good for warmth Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear 1 Pair of good quality socks that you will be using normally, that way the fit you get in store will be the same when you use them. i have seen but never used, battery powered heated inner soles, if you really suffer from cold feet. Cold feet can also be caused by ill fitting boots cutting of the circulation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, thin ski socks will give you the most precice and comfortable fit, if you start with a thin sock then you can move to a progressivley thicker one as the boot liner packs down

if you suffer from cold feet then you should avoid man made fibres like nylon next to the skin, these fibres require heat from your body to push moisture [sweat] away through the material and they do this by moving water droplets, the rate of movement is dependant on the temperature differencial from the inside to the outside ie if your feet are hot and it is cold outside then the moisture will move very quickly, if your feet are hot and it is hot outside the moisture will move more slowly.... if your feet are cold and it is cold outside then the movement will be either really slow or not happen at all [ hope you got that]

if the last option happens then the moisturre remains on the skin you will get cold very quickly....moisture transmits heat and cold 23 times quicker than if something is dry[case in point what happens if you pick something out of the oven with a dish cloth that is slightly damp......ouch!!]

if this happens to you then either wool or silk socks are a must, wool moves moisture in a vapour state by absorbing it and releasing it as it can, it can absorb 1/3 of its weight in moisture before even feeling damp

the best wool socks around are made from fine grade merino wool, you can get them in most ski stores and they are made now by several companies smartwool [IMO the best] , fox river, bridgedale to name but a few

one pair of a lightly cushioned sock should suffice if the boots fit you well, and as Spyderman says you can always get a heated insole if you really need one

hope this helps Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, thanks CEM, I never realised there was so much to think about with socks. Shame I'd already gone out and bought for this year - I've just checked and all mine are acrylic mixtures - even the Bridgedales. Crying or Very sad I'd also managed to get pink ones - the only way I can think of keeping them out of DH's suitcase.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, Echoing CEM (we're not worthy) I would go for thin socks but you may find it useful to wear a pair of silk inner socks. I often use a pair when I go walking and have recently got a pair of silk gloves to wear under my ski gloves.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, A boot buying tip for girls here. Whatever socks you wear, if you intend to get footbeds they make you take them off. Then, you have to roll up your trousers, past your knees Shocked . So, if you are a typical female, you will be mightily embarrassed if you have stubby legs, dry skin and chipped nail varnish (on the grounds that's it's not dress and sandal weather and you haven't had "one of those" kind of dates for a long time Sad ). Those underpaid bootfitters deserve better! Get a leg wax and pedicure the day before Little Angel .
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi, good one! Laughing Laughing And quite right Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy