Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dorfgastein?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any thoughts/tips on staying in dorfgastein for a long weekend just before the half term week (dates 15th-18th I think). From my web hunting it looks like it has a decent ski area itself over towards grossarl and lifts up to bad hofgastein/sport gastein area too? Any ideas on how busy it will be? Good cruising blue/red runs?

Very much enjoyed Schladming last year and looking for something similar basically - ski in ski out with enough to keep two lazy crusing intermediates happy for 3-4 days, quiet as possible given the date (It's my birthday present to me!) Flight booked to salzburg but nothing else booked so far so open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance snowHead,

aj xx
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

aj

We stayed in Bad Hofgastein a few years ago in March and skied all of the Gastein area, using the very efficient bus service for those areas that are not linked by lift. I can't remember whether Dorfgastein is linked to Badgastein/Bad Hofgastein or not - someone else will no doubt put me right on this. Sportgastein is definitely a bus ride away - perhaps not recommended if you just have a weekend, although it is the highest area. Dorfgastein was one of the quietest areas while we were there. Plenty of blues and reds in the whole area. You should enjoy it, particularly if the conditions are good. When we were there it was getting a little warm, but that was in March.

Had you thought about Obertauern - only just over an hour from Salzburg. We are just back from a week there and they already have a great base. There are definitely no buses as the whole area is a linked circuit. Good intermediate area, with great mountain restaurants (will recommend a few if you are going there) and lively apres ski in the afternoon. The Beatles film "Help" was filmed there in the 60's and George Harrison's double, Herr Krings, owns a good chunk of the resort. He has a bar dedicated to the Beatles, which is worth a visit. His daughters aren't doing too badly on the snowboard circuit either. Your only trouble might be getting weekend accommodation, certainly in the larger hotels, as they tend to run Sat to Sat. However, I'm sure that the smaller establishments will do weekends. Try the website - www.obertauern.at.

Hope this is helpful.

Hilary
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a.j., Dorfgastein is nice & would certainly be fine for a long weekend - the village itself seemed very nice. Its not linked by lifts to Bad Hofgastein/Badgastein - you have to get a bus to BHG, from where you can ski to Bad Gastein. But the bus service is pretty good and you shouldn't find it a problem.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We spent a week in a farm house in BHG a few years ago and preferred DG so muchthat we skied there most days. It was much quieter and the slopes were more varied and lots of lovely cruising through pretty trees etc. The huts are fabulous for lunches and drinks etc. and it's a really friendly area.

BG and BHG are a bus ride away, I would bus to BHG and then ski to BG. Sportgastein is further away and is higher but not as varied (and no good in bad weather as is in the clouds!). If you're only there for 3-4 days I might not bother with SG as there is plenty at DG, BHG and BG to keep you happy. We just loved the DG/Grossarl area so much so spent a lot of time there.

Sorry can't help with accom as we stayed in BHG, but the Gastein website covers BG, BHG and DG and should have lots of suggestions. Last time I filled in a form on there and abotu 30 B&Bs replied, so I could just pick the one I wanted (instead of having to choose one, email them, find out they're full and then repeat the process 100 times!).

Happy sliding
D
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
great thanks all. Sounds like what I have in mind then (I did know it was bus to BHG etc - maybe wishful thinking made my fingers type lift!)

I'll take a look at obertauern too hilary - thanks for the tip. I think I didn't consider it because an old ski guide said it was pricey and I never shook off the thought (lol) thats not such an issue now I'm no longer a student so will have a look see at the site. Cheers,

aj xx
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed in Dorfgastein last March for 4 days,lovely quiet rustic small village.hotel steindlwirt very good but several others to choose from on the gastein website.Dorfgastein and over to Grossarl is lovely and quiet with plenty for a weekend.We hired a car from Salzburg, only 45 mins easy drive to Dorf and makes it easier to visit BHG and BG if you want to . We did cos we wanted to ski everything.Having done so if conditions are good there is no need to leave Dorf if you are only there for a weekend.However Sport gastein is noticeably higher and probably has better snow if conditions were poor.Depending on how many of you are going , a car might be as cheap as the transfer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you get the chance and the weathers good try and get up to to Sport Gastein. The scenery and pistes are excellent and its not as busy. As Hilary said Obertauern is worth consideration. I go there at least once a year and will be haeding up for a week on the 20th of Jan.

What was the piste condition like Hilary?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a.j., i´ve got an apartment in Bad Gastein. If it´s easy cruising your after, Dorgastein´s a good bet. As has been said before, there´s plenty of buses up and down the valley to get to the other 4 areas. Bad Hofgastein and Bad Gastein do provide plenty of milage and even though you´re only there for a weekend, it´s worth the visit.

Sportgastein is really good, personally I like the place. It has lots of nice wide pistes you can carve down all day!!!! snowHead It´s a long bus ride away from Dorfgastein but it´s worth going if the conditions are poor in Dorfgastein. It´s very remote up at Sportgastein - i´ve been up there in the wind and it´s bleak to say the least!!! However, on a good bright day, it´s more than worth the trip!

Let me know if you want any more info. wink

Cheers
Kersh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy