Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet Changes to Air Passenger Duty (APD)

Poster: A snowHead
Happy New Year snowHead !

Just wondered if any of you who have booked Easyjet flights in the next couple of months have received an email asking you for more money for Changes to Air Passenger Duty (APD)?

The email received seems to take me through to the official easyjet website and it looks like a proper easyjet page and requests that we pay £10 more and input credit card details.

Is this a con? If it is, it is extremely well done and very scary.

Any advice anyone?

Ta
Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that it is genuine...as they do need to collect the extra.....but I decided not to risk it.

I logged into their website and went to "view flight details" but couldn't find out how to pay.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Freestyle, flying Gatwick to Geneva 28 Jan and I've heard nothing at all from them.

Mind you I'm not sure what date the extra kicks in, it may be after I fly.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B,

Me too...that's what made me suspicious..my hubby looked at the different URLs and the only difference seems to be a small m versus a captial M on the word 'Members'.

Maybe other snowHead might know more?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bladeskier,

Could be - our flights are 9th Feb
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
According to http://news.cheapflights.co.uk/flights/2007/01/extra_air_passe.html :-

"The APD is set to increase on February 1 from £5 to £10 on short-haul flights and the government has advised that the increase in tax must also be collected on bookings made before December 6, the date Gordon Brown made the announcement."

I think Dec 6 was the date the announcement was made.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK, I have still got my Easyjet email about the increased tax from them so have just had another look at it and followed the process through.
The email gives you a link to the Easyjet members log-in, thats where you put in your booking reference and your email address.
You can also register at this point.
This then takes you directly into a page for paying the extra charge (mine says I have already paid).
If this fails then this is the number that they recomend you call wif you have any problems 08712 44 23 66 (10p per minute)
Try this and see if it works snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's genuine (I hope), you do need your login password and I have printed out the confoirmation of payment details
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I have printed out the confoirmation of payment details

Me too.
Since I have paid the tax I have added my ski's on to the same booking and the extra tax payment does show on the final confirmation
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If it's not genuine, how do they know my flight booking reference number, which is on the e-mail?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought I read on another thread around here somewhere that it was 'optonal'. IE that nice Mr Brown hadn't worked out how it would Actually be paid and therefore the airlines were expecting to take a kicking. I'll try and find the thread but I'm sure the Easy spokesman said something along the lines of "we'll just have to hope that the passengers will pay". We are travelling with easy in April but havent had the email yet - does it actually state that you will be refused travel if you dont pay?. My plan is to brazen it out at the check in..... sorry if you get stuck in the queue behind me!

If you bought any other commodity and paid for it up front you wouldnt expect to pay any more when you went to collect it .. would you?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
from this thread.. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22146&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=easyjet+fuel+surcharge

Quote:
Do we *have* to pay?

The email suggests not

"Failure to make the additional APD payment *may* [my emphasis] result in you not being allowed to take your flight"

also the link to the beeb story quotes someone from easyjet:

Toby Nichol of Easyjet says the airline faces an extra £4.5m tax bill if passengers are not prepared to pay up but making them do so could be difficult.

He hopes passengers will be prepared to pay an extra £5 to cover the tax as a goodwill gesture.

"We will be going back to our customers and saying - the chancellor has doubled air passenger duty - how do you feel about giving us an extra fiver?" he said.

And he added: "We still have not ruled out the idea of putting on our Gordon Brown costumes and walking up and down the aisle on 1 February collecting with a bucket."
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
pielot,

Genius!

I love it!

Just a quick question though - having watched An Inconvenient Truth over the holidays, should my moral radar be alerting me to pay this extra charge anyway?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually have just read this from the threadpielot refers to and see the political dilemma:

'Gordon Brown is a scammer. The airlines were apparently ready and willing to invest in a carbon neutralisation scheme, but now due to this new tax, they are unable to. Shows a complete disregard for the environment and a blatant attempt to wrangle a few quid more out of everyone's collective pocket. Doesn't he realise that increased tax doesn't deter anyone?
Smoking, drinking, driving etc.'

Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pielot, Yes it does say "may" not "will". But I'm not prepared to risk my ski holiday for a fiver! But if you think you can get away with it .... Cool
snow report
Hmm.. at the risk of exposing just how thin my morals are....
I always find that 'raising the issue'(ahem!) face to face will usually stand a better chance face to face rather than in response to a faceless email. I'm not saying that I won't pay, but if I pay at check in after having 'pressed to test' then at least I have tried. Its amazing what effect a queue of 30 people behind you can have on your negotiating position Toofy Grin . I just intend to find out if they actually mean "may" rather than "will".

Insofar as a 'green' tax ....a load of manure.. Is Gordon going to use the money to plant trees, build a monorail into my nearest city center? -nope ...into the black hole it goes. Infact, now that I'm strting to get carried away (rant) IF, i manage to avoid paying this tax for my party of 8 in April (which I intend to do!) then I will pay the money to the carbon ofsetting people instead. Hows that for green!

(just dont ask how much carbon I produce at work.... doh)

Editted to add: www.carbonneutral.com (incase anyone else feels green), OH and there are other CO offsetters out there, this is just the first one I foud on google.
snow report
pielot wrote:
Hmm.. at the risk of exposing just how thin my morals are....
I always find that 'raising the issue'(ahem!) face to face will usually stand a better chance face to face rather than in response to a faceless email. I'm not saying that I won't pay, but if I pay at check in after having 'pressed to test' then at least I have tried. Its amazing what effect a queue of 30 people behind you can have on your negotiating position Toofy Grin . I just intend to find out if they actually mean "may" rather than "will".

As a counter to that though, you may have 30 people in the queue behind you but what about the other 30 in front of you who are all having the same 5 minute discussion with the staff? Meanwhile the chickens like me who have paid it online will already be through security and boarding the flight.

The matter of the £5 may swing round to "may" rather than "will" but it's a £5 gamble I don't want to take.
ski holidays
Quote:

chickens like me

Isn't there an extra surcharge for livestock on Easy! Laughing

But seriously.... I have had similar issues as some others on this site with budget airlines with their myriad of red tape concerning weight limits, extra ski bags, supplements fo this that and the other, etc, etc. They are all out to make money and I dont begrudge them that, BUT on occasion I have saved not insignificant amounts of money by simply asking the question. If it doesnt go my way, I just pay up and get on with it. Easy have a very efficient system for taking money off you at check in if it needs to be done! They also make a tidy profit so I do not feel that guilty!! (my return flight is now up to £298, I think they can afford a fiver!).

I am never in a rush to get on an aeroplane (unless I'm in the posh seat up the front!), all that time squished into 30inches of leg room eurgh!
snow report
The easyjet email referred to directs you to their relevant terms and conditions. These are dated 14 Dec 06 (and clearly hastily re-written to suit). Presumably if you (like me) paid your £600 for the family (like me....low cost..wot?) in November for a flight in March, easyjet can do no more than ask. Bear in mind that the govt are taxing the airlines directly, not the passenger - Hence the aforementioned begging bowl comments from easyjet.

PS - risk assessment suggests having the £5 (that'll be £40 quid return en famille) available anyway! Check-in staff in Dundee united strips can be a bit scary.
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads, ron allan. £600 Shocked - you must have a big family!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
The relevant bit seems to be the same in the March '06 Ts and Cs:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060907211721/http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/conditions.html

Strangely, I have 2 outstanding bookings with them (made in November) for April and July and they've only asked me for the extra for the July one.

BA have announced that they're not passing on the charge for existing bookings, which is nice Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy