Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strike at The Canyons, Utah

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
They do have one union in a ski resort in Utah and a dispute may be in the offing.

What may be less surprising is the reaction to this news in the local paper. It is all critical of unions and strikes.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=739056
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strike is now settled.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4914290
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latchigo, I went there once... it felt like everyone was on strike anyway. Windswept and empty. Like Harlow shopping centre at 3am. Spent all my pocket money on taxis down to Park City. The place must be more interesting with a few Red Robbos addressing the workers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, Canyons looks good on paper. I went to Park City once, but I preferred the Cottonwood Canyon resorts -particularly Alta and Brighton.

I would go to The Canyons to tick it off the list if I went to Utah again. I would also visit Deer Valley, Snowbasin and possibly Powder Mountain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Canyons looks good on paper
... just not on a mountainside. No need to stay there to tick it off though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Canyons looks good on paper. I went to Park City once, but I preferred the Cottonwood Canyon resorts -particularly Alta and Brighton.

I would go to The Canyons to tick it off the list if I went to Utah again. I would also visit Deer Valley, Snowbasin and possibly Powder Mountain.

The Canyons isn't bad. It's pretty spread out horizontally and there are some rather long run outs in places. Can be a bit difficult to find your way around till you've spent some time there. Even though there they are geographically proximate, I think the Park City resorts (Deer Valley, Park City Mountain Resort, and The Canyons) have a very different feel than the resorts in the Cottonwoods Canyons (Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude). The base at Park City is lower and the trails are mostly, not entirely, below tree level. The scenery in the Cottonwoods Canyons is much more dramatic, in my opinion, and much more of the skiing is above the tree line; they also get quite a lot more snow than the Park City resorts. The Cottonwoods Canyons resorts average around 500" of snow per year. The downside to the Cottonwoods Canyons is that there's not much at the village base areas. Fortunately, it's only about 45 minutes to 1 hour from Park City to Any of these areas by car. My view is that if you go to Utah and ski only in Park City, you're depriving yourself of the best skiing that Utah has to offer. Snowbasin generally gets rave reviews; the mountain restarants are reputed to be quite good and I always hear that the infrastructure is outstanding. That said, there's very little in terms of a bed base or village right at Snowbasin. Powder Mountain seems to be a rather unique place. There's a total of 5500 acreas but much of it is not accessible by lift. It's either hike to terrain, or they have a snow cat that takes people up to the top of a ridge from which they ski down and take a bus back to the resort, or helicopter. There's only a few lifts. The reputation is that it's very friendly and very retro. Snowbasin and Powder Mountain are both reputed to be among the least crowded mountains around. For our big trip this year we're actually planning to stay in a small town near Snowbasin and Powder Mountain. We went to Saalbach last year and loved the skiing and the apres ski. Semi rural Utah should be quite a different experience.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RISkier, That is interesting. When you say small town is that Eden, or Ogden, or elsewhere ? When I asked on Epic the view seemed to be base yourself in SLC if you only want a few days in Snowbasin or Powder Mountain. SLC is not the most exciting city in the world but I expect the eating and drinking options would be much better than other Utah towns.

I have skied Saalbach, based in Hinterglemm and agree that Utah will be different.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Latchigo,

We are actually staying in Eden. I'd be a bit concerned about activities except that we are going with a group of folks, so we'll make our own entertainment. From the research I've been able to do, there's not a whole lot in Eden. Ogden appears to have a pretty interesting array of restaurants and I really want to get a look at Ogden cause I think it might have the potential to be a good place to invest in real estate -- sort of like Boulder Colorado before Boulder became really hot. There's been some discussion of developing yet another ski resort in that area. I'm sure this is not an area for those who want late night party action. But my wife and I are pretty happy if we have 1) good skiing, 2) a fun pub for after skiing, and 3) a few good restaurants. We also seem to like funky, retro ski areas so we're really looking forward to Powder Mountain. And all the reviews of Snowbasin I've read have been very positive. We may drive over to Alta for a day, though it's a bit of a trek. Of the places we've skied we liked the skiing at Alta the best. Indeed, if Alta were a man I'm quite certain my wife would leave me. SLC as a place to base yourself for skiing doesn't really have great appeal to me EXCEPT for price. You can find lots of ski and stay packages in the Sandy or Midvale areas (suburbs of SLC that are close to the roads leading to the Cottonwood Canyons) for $170 / night or so for two people, and many include some kind of breakfest. We're staying for just a little more than that at what looks like a very nice lodge in Eden (choice of lift tickets to Snowbasin or Powder Mountain every day). And there are Extended Stays that have little kitchen areas that can be had for around $60 or so per night (no lift tickets). The rooms are clean and comfortable, but you're staying in "American suburbs" with lots of chain restaurants, car dealerships, shopping malls, etc. No alpine charm whatsoever. Park City is really an excellent base. The great thing about Utah is that there are lots of really terrific resorts within an hour or so of one another. The bad thing is that a lot of the areas don't have much of an alpine village nearby (perhaps that what makes them so terrific for skiing). I'll try to shoot you a PM with my post visit impressions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RISkier, have you tried Brian Head? I'll be there in 3 weeks time. Looks quiet from the apres viewpoint!... but seems to get heaps of snow. Also fancied Elk Meadows but that's closed while they turn it into an exclusive "gated" ski area - that's they way to go, keep the rif raf out.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You'll love Powder Mountain and Ogden is a good place to stay for a few days - there's an entirely oddball museum combining the Browning gun company and the trans-continental railway which makes it one of the more eclectic places to stop... Grub is good, too.
Powder Mountain is great because the lifts give you enough to get going and scout the place out, but the bus pick-up has to be the finest way to explore I've found. Pick a line off the top, ski down through trees, drops or whatever you want to the road up to the resort and wait for the ski bus to cruise along and stick out your thumb. Repeat until shattered.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller,

No I've not. It looks good on paper but It's quite a ways from SLC or Park City.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RISkier, flying in to Las Vegas so only 200 miles away otherwise, yes, I'd stay around SLC.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy