Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone in Tignes at Crimbo?

Poster: A snowHead
We're out for the week on the 23rd Dec if any snowHead's fancy meeting up.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, yup, myself and Mrs will be in Tignes this Christmas. We're there the week from 23rd Dec for a week. We'll be staying in Le Lac.

We have those walkie-talkies for staying in touch on the pistes, so if you have some and hear a 'Mal' or 'Sam' you'll know it's us.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mal0r, Welcome to snowHeads. We're both on walkie-talkies as well. I'll contact you nearer the time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
........."Crimbo"..........is this walkie-talkie speak..or a foreign language...like Geordie...? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bet you're glad to finally see some snow in Tignes, hope it doesn't all melt by Dec 23rd.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC wrote:
........."Crimbo"..........is this walkie-talkie speak..or a foreign language...like Geordie...? Toofy Grin

I'll have you know geordie is not a foreign language........................ Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
...It is for people from south of Hartlepool.
wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Booked a week in Tignes at Christmas this afternoon so hopefully get a chance to meet up with anyone else going.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If the snow keeps going the way it is, we'll all be bunched together on the upper slopes. Wear a snowheads logo and we'll easily be able to spot each other.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Going to be there 19-26, staying in Le Lac. That's if there's any snow by then, having just spent 3 days limited to the glacier, not sure I could face a week of it. Long queues and drag pull lifts get a bit much after a day or so Sad Still 3 weeks to go, it could all change by then. We were there last year for the same week and had a great time Very Happy Will take the walkie talkies too!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The webcams in tignes.co.uk show the toviere slope is still white, but on 12% of lifts running at the moment.

AxsMan, have you been to Tignes before ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mal0r, Was there (well we stayed in Val D, but skied mostly on the Tignes side ) last Christmas, and just got back from a (disappointing due to crowded slopes with little snow) long weekend. If the snow is good Espace Killy is great. The problem this weekend was that the Grand Motte was pretty much the only place open in the southern Alps so it was packed. Long (and I mean 45 minute) queues for the drag lifts, and not enough snow to ski down from the top without ripping your skis to shreds on the stones. Hopefully by Christmas a few more inches (feet?!) will have fallen. (or been made). Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do you know if the distance between Le Lac and Val Claret is walkable in ski boots ? Just wondering incase we can't manage to always join up the pistes to manage a final run into Le Lac
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mal0r, There is a regular bus service. I wouldn't want to walk it in ski boots.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lovely, thanks. Do you know if it's included in the ski-pass?
snow report
mal0r, As Frosty sais it's a long walk. We actually drove round on Tuesday morning to have a look at Le Lac (we were staying in Val Claret) and i reckon it's at least a kilometer, maybe a bit more. Last year the buses ran very frequently so we didn't mind too much where we 'came down' and riding the bus back can be quite a good way to see a bit more of the place.
snow conditions
The Mrs and I (plus a few others) walked from Val Claret to Le Lavachet after being booted out of a club at 03.30. We got in at 05.00. It was a howling blizzard and at least 2 were convinced of their impending demise.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Shocked I reckon I'll be holding out for the bus then.

I'm getting a smidge excited about it though, I've only been skiing a couple years and the novelty hasn't worn off yet. Looking forward to finding a fondue place while we're there, and the vin chaud.
snow report
mal0r, For fondue can I recommend the restaurant de Neige which is directly opposite the Funicular entrance at Val Claret. You can't miss it. We had Fondue for Christmas lunch last year, washed down with several glasses of Vin, bierre and genepi to the point where we didn't actually ski in the afternoon! It was a great day. Very Happy
snow report
AxsMan, Recommendation duly noted. I'm sure I'll possibly bump into you there.

This looks like it may be a piste down to Val Claret, where you can see Le Lac seperated by road : http://www.vivelaneige.com/galerie/displayimage.php?album=58&pos=5
snow conditions
mal0r, From memory I think that's the 'DoubleM' which (given adequate snow cover ) is a reasonably easy red, just a couple of slightly steep sections which could be a bit daunting for beginners but otherwise a lovely run, pretty much right down from the top. You ride up Lanche and Vanoise to get to the top or use the funicular which is very fast, but involves a bit of standing and waiting. The Restuarant du neige is right in front of it at the bottom. Very Happy
snow report
AxsMan, I have been pouring over the piste-map for the last month (that's how excited I am) and looked at the 'DoubleM' run.

I'll need to break myself in gently when I first get there, was looking for a nursery slope, but couldn't find a single green unless I went down Val D side. I imagine, I'll just take a a poma up a small part of one of the fairly innocuous blue slopes a few times before I head right up the funicular.
ski holidays
mal0r,
Quote:

I'll need to break myself in gently when I first get there

In that case remember that when returning to Le Lac -NOT to come in from the Toviere (Val D'Isere side) as there is a nasty little black path that comes from Toviere into Le Lac. If in doubt ski into Val Claret and get the lift back up on the far side and approach Le Lac from that side.
EDITED to correct 11 errors Embarassed

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 30-11-06 12:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Quality advice, another duly noted.
snow conditions
mal0r, Espace Killy is not fantastically well equipped with really easy runs and they do have a tendency to mark pistes 'down' compared to other areas I have skied. (i.e. a 'Killy blue might be a bit of a purply red elsewhere Very Happy). However the three runs over at Val D from the Rocher de Belvarde, the two greens 'mont blanc' and (appropriately named) 'verte' as well as the adjacent blue '3i' were all very nice, and the ride back to them from the top of the Borsat express down borsat or genepi were also not too demanding. Getting back to Val Claret by skiing down piste 'H' is probably the easiest way we did. The only run I'm aware of from that side down to le lac is the black Trolles which wasn't too bad when we were there as there was good snow cover, but as Frosty says I imagine it would be nasty if it was iced up.
snow report
AxsMan, Ok, so that's Christmas Eve's route planned then.
snow report
mal0r, Have fun! (and see you in the restaurant du neige! - I'll be the red nosed one without the antlers Very Happy)
ski holidays
mal0r,
Quote:
I've only been skiing a couple years and the novelty hasn't worn off yet

Warning: the novelty never wears off.

It hasn't worn off with me after well over 20 years snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just finishing my packing before heading to Gatwick and then, fog permitting, off to Tignes.

Probably be in the Crowded House at least to start with most evenings so anyone going feel free to drop in and say hello.

For everyone else, have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy whatever you have planned.
latest report
Have a great time say Hi to spyderjon and Debs for me.
Merry Christmas
snow report
SHello, ..... fog fingers crossed - bon chance....! snowHead
latest report
Was in the Alpaka bar last night and apparently there are christmas eve drinks and munchies planned for this evening. will be in there around 7.00 so hope to see a few snowHead 's Very Happy
latest report
SHello, AxsMan, I keep missing you guys. We're out with Evo2 this afternoon so will be in the Jam Bar (bottom of the Pallafour lift) just after 5pm tonight for an apres ski shandy.
latest report
Didn't hear many English voices over the radios, however really enjoyed Tignes, did all of the blues, greens and even some reds!

Some photos: http://www.mallabar.co.uk/photos/Tignes/
ski holidays
spyderjon, SHello, Sorry we missed you, hope you had a great time, back now and looking forward to next weekend at Pila! snowHead
latest report
Nice pictures mal0r, Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy