Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis for wife.

Poster: A snowHead
She's mid 50's, 8 stone 8lbs, 5' 5", very fit (in both meanings of the word (ln my view)), 50+ week skier and is competent in all conditions all over the mountain. Her only weakness is on piste at high speeds (35mph+ fear factor) so she wouldn't want a race ski. I'm thinking of B3's or B2's but not sure if they manufacture a girly B3. Any advice please.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If she can cook, it's a deal. Where do I pick her up?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond, I think you've misunderstood the OP for comic effect, this isn't Buy & Sell you know wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond, sorry, I do the cooking in this house. So near, yet so far! What skis were you offering, anyway? Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 15-12-06 21:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chris, I know I've said it before, but K2 One Luvs are the way to go - stable at speed, good in slush and crud, good on piste, good off piste - but not a 'piste at high speeds' ski (if she wanted that, Burnin Luvs are the way to go).

They do have slightly dodgy graphics ( pink flowers on black - v retro chic). But they are truly great women specific skis.

The only caveat is that they are much heavier than many other female specific skis - I think this is an advantage because they really cut through crud and slush, but you do need serious thigh muscles...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SkiBod, serious thigh muscles.....if only!!!!!! No, a heavy ski is out of the question as we do spend lots of time skiing moguls so they have to be light enough to lift off the ground. Thanks anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SkiBod Yours have
Quote:

slightly dodgy graphics
because they're last years rolling eyes . This year's are much more tasteful [url=http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/700533||@cSkis@bK2|0|user|1,0,0,1|17|[url] are they not?[/url]
And they are lighter than the Burnin Luv.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not sure I'd necessarily rule out a "race ski" (by which I mean punter slalom or GS I guess) because it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that her fear of speed might be down to the instability of what she currently skis. Some skis are scary at even low speeds. With a ski that's stable at speed it just doesn't feel as fast imo. But then she may not be looking for a race ski because she might be looking for something that can spend 50% of its time off piste. You'd better tell us more about where you ski
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch, she's not interested in fast piste skiing and prefers moguls and skiing through the trees in powder but the ski will have to be able to perform well on hard packed snow as we tend to have an abundance of that here in January. So I'm looking for an all- rounder with a bias towards off-piste.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chris, OK fairy snuff, hence the question of where you adn she like to ski. I was just pointing out that the fear of speed might be a symptom not a cause IYSWIM.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chris, not sure if you can find any in Serre Che (if you do let me know), Elan Wave Magics were brilliant, and are a really good all round. I also tried some MissDemeanours in LDA, and although they say they are a park ski were great on the hard pistes too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chris wrote:
I'm thinking of B3's or B2's but not sure if they manufacture a girly B3. Any advice please.

I have a pair of B3's myself bought last season in Whistler. I'm probably a similar size to your wife but a bit heavier. Shocked

A load of us tried out the B3's - both men and women of all heights (none of us as lardy) - and loved them.

Unfortunately they're pants at going fast down a race course. Other than that, they're perfect for moguls and jumping around in the powder off-piste and stuff which doesn't involve going 90mph in a straight line.

I don't know anyone who actually owns their own B2s but know a couple that hired them last year and loved them. They were doing exactly the same type of skiing as described above.

I gather that if you're a european/corduroy/firm-snow kind of skier then B2's might be better than B3's.

Oh and I didn't even bother trying the women's B3's (if there is such a thing).

My previous skis were women's skis and you can see me raving about needing women's skis in previous threads last season in an effort to find out which skis to demo, before I bought my B3s.

I've tried the Salomon Scream Extra Hots while demoing but they were like dead-weights on my feet as were many of the Atomic-metron series, but then I prefer light-weight manoeverable skis and put up with their inability to take me down the race-course at lightning speed.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowy, great report. Thanks. What length did you buy? Also, what level of skier are you?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi wrote:
because they're last years rolling eyes . This year's are much more tasteful [url=http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/700533||@cSkis@bK2|0|user|1,0,0,1|17|[url] are they not?[/url]

Pink tips and a dark centre . . . waaaay too Freudian for me Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, they're not pink. OK, they go darker in the middle. So Puzzled

Why do you remind me of the ink blot joke that ends:
So the Psychologist says, "Well, your problem is that you're obsessed with sex."
"Me?" says the patient. "You're the one who keeps showing me the dirty pictures!" Laughing
ski holidays
chris wrote:
Snowy, great report. Thanks. What length did you buy? Also, what level of skier are you?

I got the 160cm B3s. I am 5'5".

My level of skiing? Mr Snowy did mention that B3s are for experts although I wouldn't put myself in the expert category. I've done about 16 weeks skiing in the last 2 seasons but am a really cautious skier.

I would say I'm advanced though - by this I mean I'll ski pretty much anything as long as it doesn't include 12ft drops off cornices and scary runs like Whistler's "excitation". Shocked

In summary, the B3 is a great ski for Whistler (lots of snow and off-piste), but I'd personally choose something a little narrower if I was doing more on-piste or hard-packed snow skiing.

All I can suggest is that your wife demos any skis she wants to try. It'll soon be apparent if the skis don't suit.
ski holidays
chris, My wife really likes her Head Wild Thangs (Last years model) although the graphics of this years version are an aquired taste.
latest report
Quote:

New skis for wife.

Sounds like a fair swap
ski holidays
martski, Richmond's already done that joke. wink
ski holidays
chris,
doh, hang my head in shame, delete and retire
latest report
After all my research, my wife recieved a pair of K2 Sweet Luv's for Christmas, purely based on the fact that she liked the design of them! rolling eyes She's had 4 days on them and thinks they're fantastic. Thanks for everyone's input.
ski holidays
chris, My SO is similar - although tad younger ( a tad !!) - although she does prefer piste skiing - recently bought her Volkl Attiva 5* ( or is it 'S') or whatever they are called. First female specific she has liked and will do both long and short turns - allegedly OK in deep stuff as well but untried so far ( and maybe this year !!)
snow conditions
chris wrote:
After all my research, my wife recieved a pair of K2 Sweet Luv's for Christmas, purely based on the fact that she liked the design of them! rolling eyes She's had 4 days on them and thinks they're fantastic. Thanks for everyone's input.

Can't beat a K2. but I still think she'd be better on a One Luv wink
ski holidays
chris, Sharon has Tru Luvs and found them great on Piste but poor off Piste
snow conditions
SkiBod, I agree but the colour didn't match her boots and jacket! I plan to buy her some Phat Luvs for her birthday but only if there is more snow this winter.
latest report
'She's had 4 days on them and thinks they're fantastic.' I do wish she'd take them off indoors though(its not very comfortable in bed).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy