Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go close to Salzburg? - First attempt at DIY Weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads, been an avid reader of the forum for a while but never posted. I need some advice so where better to ask it then here.
I am trying to plan a DIY Skiing weekend this winter (probably mid march) to Austria. I have easy access to Coventry airport and cheap flights to Salzburg. Not having done this sort of thing I am a bit overwhelmed by info on the web. I have been looking at resorts such as Badhofgastein, Zell am See, Radstadt, etc which are all within an east bus or train ride from Salzburg, I am also interested in Saalbach. I have not been skiing for a few years (6) but used to be a fairly low intermediate standard. I don't require, off piste, or black runs but prefferably plenty of long blue and flattering reds, nothing more. I will probably be going for a long weekend with 3 days of skiing so don't necessarily need hundreds of kms of runs. My main priority is its easy to get to from Salzburg, a direct train ride or bus, not loads of changes or hours waiting around,

I am on a fairly low budget so only require a B + B, guest house or small hotel, am on my own so only need a single room.

Basically what I want is a good accessable resort, with a fair few decent blue/red runs, cheap accomodation, that will make a good spot for my first DIY skiing weekend without any hassle.

Any advice or recomendations on resort, transport, accomodation?? Alternatively does anyone know of someone doing cheap well run weekend ski packages to the area?

Appreciate any help with this. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DRHOSKING, Welcome to SnowHeads

There has been loads of stuff recently posted on Zell am Zee.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21140
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20652
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11074&highlight=

Are just a couple to look at. Just over an hour on a diresct train link. Lots of firly gentle skiing, and a great town to boot

Hovver your mouse over user facilities at the top left and click on the search button. Type in the resort of your choice to search for posts containing that word for more info.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that Frosty! Will do
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DRHOSKING, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

This site gives train times and costs etc http://www.oebb.at/vip8/oebb/en/index.jsp

The wealth of choice is probably the hardest thing here - there are just so many places you could go to.

One that I have been to that would suit you is Schladming, which has many cruisy blues and reds and is a direct train ride away. But I am just adding to your list...

There are other resorts that have shuttle busses. I am going to Obertauern and that has a bus from Salzburg for €39 return, but I know that there are other resorts that do too.

Good luck, narrowing it down is the hardest thing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
See also www.gastein.com for Gastein valley.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zell am See is a good choice.

If you decide Saalbach, I can recommend Pension Aigner as a pleasant budget b&b.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I enjoyed schladming last year - search on here for a report from me (sorry - don't have it to hand to link to)

Train from salzburg was no problem and direct - and if you speak at least a little german (and I do mean a little, just enough to be able to book the room over the phone if the proprietors english gives up; in person was fine, over the phone was a little bemusing at times) then I can also recommend a superbly convienient b&b (pm me)

For all b&b's the schladming website (www.schladming.at I think) was very easy to use, gives availability, location maps, prices, room specs etc - very comprehensive!

aj xx
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DRHOSKING,

Welcome to Snowheads.

http://www.bergfex.com/salzburg/

I'd say it's best to ring up or email the tourist office and say you have a low budget but are looking for a single room. Every tourist office I have dealt with in Austria speaks German (even if you speak in German they are likely to recognize your accent and speak English back).

If you need anything translated from German then let us know.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
Every tourist office I have dealt with in Austria speaks German

I should hope so!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lol Laughing

I should of written "English".
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grammar alert!

I should HAVE written "English."

Sorry DB, but that winds me up! No, I'm not an English teacher..... Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks for all the info, keep it going. Been doing some research and Bad Hofgastein is looking the favourite at the moment, both in terms of ski area, access and snow record for the period I hope to be there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DRHOSKING, Saalbach is a great resort, but it's about 2 hours from Salzburg.

BHG would be ideal as there is a direct train, the ski area would keep you occupied for a week nevermind a few days. If snow is an issue, then SportGastein up the valley is higher.

I looked into a DIY for January and Schladming came out the best for accessibility and time from Salz, cost of accommodation and plenty of good intermediate skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the ice perv wrote:
Grammar alert!

I should HAVE written "English."

Sorry DB, but that winds me up! No, I'm not an English teacher..... Smile

Now you've got me thinking. SCGB member? Trainspotter? Morris dancer?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saalbach has lots of good mileage on well linked pistes, great apres-ski & a large choice of accomodation, that said its not the cheapest resort close to salzburg.Regular coaches run direct from the airport & take 11/2 to 2 hours. Am a budget 'solo' skier as well & am trying Flachau in late jan as it also has a direct coach link from the airport, reasonably priced accomodation & access to plenty of intermediate skiing. In both cases have found the local tourist offices ( www.saalbach.com & www.flachau.com ) really helpful.

Hayls - sounds as though you've done your research, for my future reference, how did overall costs for schladming compere to those of flachau ?
ski holidays
nickH, we opted for Schladming mainly due to the ski area and lift links as we planned to go for a week. I've always liked the look of Flachau, but we ruled it out based on a smaller lift linked ski area, bus journeys etc.

Hotel costs for a 4 star were about the same but we received a great offer from the Mitterhoffer in Schladming which did work out cheaper. They were also able to accommodate us from Monday to Sunday.
ski holidays
Thanks for the links Nick, Flauchau was on the list but thought it might be difficult to get to without a direct train, didn't know there was a direct bus, do you know how much it is? Had a look at the area and certainly looks promissing and has a decent snow record. Was wondering, do you know if it is possible to ski from Flachau down to Flachauwinkle and link up with the other side of the road to Zauchersee area? its not obvious from the piste map whether this is possible?
snow report
DRHOSKING, no, you can not ski from Flachau to Flachauwinkl, but ski buses run regularly. Takes 10 minutes.

And you can not ski from Flachauwinkl to Zauchensee either, but a funny 'train-on-wheels-like' means of transport runs very often.

Flachau is also linked with bus service to Wagrain on the other side of the hill.

These resorts (and the Schlaming area) have one of the best lifts and the most extensive snow making systems in Austria.
snow report
DRHOSKING, Think kerekip ( hello again !) has answered most of your questions , save the bus transfer one - check out www.reisen-habersatter.at . If any problems, I think they've a link on the Falchau.com site.

Hayls, thanks for that, I'll definitely consider Schladming as a future possibility. From an earlier posting of mine about Flachau it seems that its not too long a bus ride from Flachau to Schladming, so might try & get up there for a day to check it out when I'm over late jan
snow conditions
Hayls wrote:

BHG would be ideal as there is a direct train, the ski area would keep you occupied for a week nevermind a few days. If snow is an issue, then SportGastein up the valley is higher.

The Gastein valley is pretty good. The train takes just under 2 hours and stops at Dorfgastein, Bad Hofgastein and Bad Gastein in the valley. It's about 13 Euros I think.

Kersh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy