Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Couples in North America

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
How?

I was wondering if someone from the left side of the pond might explain how couple go on holiday (vacation) together without paying USD400/week under occupancy supplements.

Or is that just UK tour operators trying it on.

Or do you just get two couples together and take it in turns as it were... or mix it up or...

This really confuses me!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Book direct, and pay per room rather than per person? That's how I've always booked my (summer) holidays in the US.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hobbiteater, Yep, agree with rob@rar, decide on your resort, go to their central reservation, select your desired hotel/condo/whatever, book and pay direct. Buy a scheduled air ticket... you'll save money, and get better VFM.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hobbiteater wrote:
How?

I was wondering if someone from the left side of the pond might explain how couple go on holiday (vacation) together without paying USD400/week under occupancy supplements.

Or is that just UK tour operators trying it on.

Or do you just get two couples together and take it in turns as it were... or mix it up or...

This really confuses me!

I'm not really sure what you're talking about, but actually I'd thought the situation was reversed.

Book a hotel room in NA and you pay for the room.

Book a hotel room in Europe (at least Germany and Austria) and you pay per person.

If you have a tour operator doing this differently, I'd say you're getting screwed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As rob says, the way to do it is to book direct. Most US hotels price per room, and in general they will have 2 double beds in the room.
Depending on where you are going, and the level of luxury you require - rooms can be from about $50 upwards. Now, that's for 2 double beds, so if you but 4 people in the room, it's $12.50, or about £7 per person per night. If you take it all to yourself, then it's £25 per person per night.

Next week I'll be at the Stoweflake, which is considered a pretty good hotel (probably 4 star), and I got my room for $110 per night - again, up to 4 people can sleep in it. If you base it on 2 people, that works out at under £30 each for the room (and I don't consider that bad value for money)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Bode Swiller, that's effectively what UK TOs do; you pay the same for the room whether there's 2 (or even 1) of you or 4, hence the under occ supplements. The problem is the price that the TOs charge (especially compared to what they pay for the accomodation).

I've never found it possible to beat TO prices to N.America for skiing, because we've been at Easter when flights are horribly expensive.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some ops may waive underoccupancy supplement for bookings nearer to the date if you want to play chicken and some are a bit more honest upfront by basing occupancy on 2 people e.g Virgin. Alternatively take a chalet booking if you don't want to DIY but bear in mind you'll probably pay over the odds for food compared to eating out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely most people travel as couples, families aside, so why have rooms for 4?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hobbiteater, I suspect because N.Americans feel claustrophobic in anything in which there isn't room to park a jumbo jet.

There are some NA hotels which have normal double rooms.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You generally get a choice between one King or Queen sized bed or two Double beds.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had a related problem trying to book my family of four in a French or Swis hotel. A group of three can stay in one room but they want the four of us to have two rooms. It's just another way to maximize revenue.

You will usually have two double beds in most north american hotels. The same hotel will frequently offer the option of one king size bed which gives you a little more room to move around if there are just two of you. In 40 years of traveling in the USA outside of resorts, I do not recall ever being asked how many people were in the room. The price is always for the room, regardless of the occupancy, as long as there was bed space for each occupant.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve Turner, I'd have thought you should be able to find somewhere offering family rooms for 4, maybe a bit pricier than a double for 4, but better than 2 doubles. Mind you, I was delighted when the kids became too big to share a room with us.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy