Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Bindings - What's the Difference?

Poster: A snowHead
O.K First post ever.

What I'm wondering is what the difference between all the different bindings out there is. You see pro riding using Rossi Axial bindings, but what really sets them apart.

Oh, and I know that there is obvious differences like wide brakes, but surely there must be something more that this?

Hope u guys expert knowledge can help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting question for a first post buckers (welcome to snowHead by the way), I bet there'll be plenty of people interested in the answer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buckers, welcome to snowHeads. I'll start the ball rolling. Weight is an issue.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer wrote:
buckers, welcome to snowHeads. I'll start the ball rolling. Weight is an issue.
Kramer. Do you mean the DIN setting, if so i thought that could be adjusted on all bindings. If not please elaborate.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
buckers, welcome!
Better bindings will be made of lighter materials - for the general public, that would be titanium ones. Apart from that, there is very little difference. The DIN scales will be the same (though for on piste they may go quite a lot higher - perhaps up to 20, where most that are used by normal people only go up to 10 or 12.)
That's really it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
buckers, Welcome to snowHeads.

Many skis are only available with a specific binding (known as 'hostage' which I think is a great term) so there's no choice if you want that ski.

For skis bought 'in the flat' here's a few differences:

DIN range - ie 3-10, 4-12, 6-14 etc. The range of adjustment of the torque release settings. It's recommended that a skier chooses a binding so that their setting is in the mid range of the adjustment. Race bindings tend to be stronger & have higher DIN settings.

Weight - some bindings are heavier than others or the same binding can be available in a lighter weight material (titanium) which would be better to hiking etc.

Rail bindings - heel & toe pieces mount on to a rail which is then attached to the ski, as opposed to being screwed on the ski individually. Some (Atomic/Tyrolia) have the benefit of being adjustable for fore/aft positioning. Added benefit for a carver ski can be the extra height (lift) but this can be a disadvantage for a wide powder ski or park ski.

Demo & rental bindings - a manufacturer's standard binding, usually a rail binding but re-designed to be quickly adjustable so enable widely differing boot lengths to fit & used on a shop's demo & rental skis. Tend to be heavy.

The Look/Rossi Axial bindings you mentioned tend to be favoured by off-pisters as they're manual lever makes them easy to re-attached in deep snow. The old model had a pivotting heelpiece which was considered to be a good injury reducing designed which has been removed in the new model but the toe has been re-designed to compensate.

For every person who likes one make of binding you'll find another who'll dislike them so it's really personal choice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
For every person who likes one make of binding you'll find another who'll dislike them so it's really personal choice.

Totally. Some people like Rossi bindings. Others like Looks... Wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow. Dude. I'm pretty clued up now.

Thank you so very much.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, especially when they're on sale for boogerall $'s Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
buckers, Welcome to snowHeads.

Many skis are only available with a specific binding (known as 'hostage' which I think is a great term) so there's no choice if you want that ski.

The other side of the coin in this instance is that all the reviews will be of the ski and binding combination.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, True, & my Atomic/Neox combo's suit me just fine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:

Short and overweight? Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like the fore/aft adjustment on the atomic bindings and the easy to adjust sole length screw (or whatever the real name for it is) so I can switch from my alpine to touring boots when needs must with the same ski. Find that being able to change the fore/aft position is really useful on an all rounder ski. Never tried Look / Rossi so might have to give them a go on a pair of powder skis.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Short and overweight? Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Im using free Marker 14's no problem in deep snow and release in crash sending ski's flying down slope! Perfect
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
...Short and overweight? Wink

I totally resent that - 5'9" is not short Evil or Very Mad
snow report
spyderjon, After beginning the thread I thought I'd help out and describe the binding differences but it seems that you've made me obsolete. Nide thorough reply!

Salomon has always been a popular binding and has only had a few models that had flaws, but otherwise a dependable binding. They have decided to change their bindings this year, so now the old jigs will become obsolete, much like snowhot.

I have Karmas with Look bindings, salamons on two others, but markers on the rest. I have had no failure on any of them.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
...Short and overweight? Wink

I totally resent that - 5'9" is not short Evil or Very Mad

Compared to Linds, you're right! Laughing
snow conditions
spyderjon, Just let him continue to pick on you. There will come a day he'll trust you to tune his skis. Imagine the fun you could have with him then.
snow report
buckers wrote:
O.K First post ever.

You see pro riding using Rossi Axial bindings, but what really sets them apart.

Another reason is that they have high elasticity - that is the binding moves a lot before releasing so for minor knocks (such as the ones you get landing jumps or blasting through crud and heavy pow) the binding moves but the ski still stays attached - This is a good thing in a lot of cases because a) it is pain if your skis fall off when you don't want them too b) It can be dangerous - there are some areas such as areas with exposure where risking a broken leg (though actually high elasticity bindings save you from having to crank up the DIN as much as they are less prone to release so actually help reduce the broken legs problem) and having your ski stay on is a better option than falling off a cliff or smashing into rocks! Shocked
Salamon bindings are also renowned for having high elasticity. Marker are not, and therefore not such a popular choice with the freeriders.
latest report
i could set the cat among the pigeons and add the fact that differing bindings have differing ramp angles [ie toe and heel heights under the binding] so they can affect the angle [fore / aft] at which your boots and therefore you stand on your skis Little Angel
latest report
CEM, very true. And in general French bindings have larger ramp angles than Austrian.
snow report
CEM wrote:
i could set the cat among the pigeons and add the fact that differing bindings have differing ramp angles [ie toe and heel heights under the binding] so they can affect the angle [fore / aft] at which your boots and therefore you stand on your skis Little Angel

Cool. And I thought that UK boot fitters didn't bother with such nonsense wink.
snow conditions
marc gledhill wrote:
CEM, very true. And in general French bindings have larger ramp angles than Austrian.

Atomic +2mm
Salomon +2mm
Fischer/Tyrolia +3mm
Look/Rossi +5mm
Marker + 5mm
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
marc gledhill wrote:

Atomic +2mm
Salomon +2mm

Is that for Quadrax-based ones as well? Puzzled
ski holidays
You are all missing the point.

Some bindings match the colours of your skis and boots - and new Patagucci underwear. Some do not.

Really good ones (Vist, par example) come with interchangeable covers (like mobile phones sometimes do) so that you can ensure that you are always properly colour co-ordinated.
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
...so that you can ensure that you are always properly colour co-ordinated.

Which as we all know, is the most important thing of all rolling eyes
latest report
David Murdoch, you mean like this:

Still trying to source matching underwear wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex wrote:

Atomic +2mm
Salomon +2mm

Is that for Quadrax-based ones as well? Puzzled[/quote]

Good question. I dunno. I'll try & find out on Mon when Atomic UK open.
snow conditions
Quote:

Still trying to source matching underwear

latest report
veeeight - we've told you before about posting pictures of yourself!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy