Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where should we go?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a very happy bunny.....I've got cheap flights with SleazyJet to Geneva now all I have to do is decide on resorts!

We've skied a fair number of the better known French resorts close to Geneva but would like to go for something new so has anyone any advice on nice resorts within easy striking distance of the airport - we'll probably have a hire car so getting around would be easy.

Shortlist currently includes Villars, Verbier, Les Contamines, Courmayeur (anyone know how much it costs to get through Mont Blanc Tunnel?) or the Swiss side of the Portes de Soleil.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Homphomp, you ought to consider La Rosiere. Its very snow-sure, very friendly and the skiing which is linked to La Thuile in Italy has got something for everyone. With a car you can explore the Haute Tarentaise, so you can ski in Les Arcs, St Foy, Tignes etc. If you want more information pm me or go to www.larosiere.net or www.tracksvacations.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hows about la Clusaz, if you have a car then there are a couple of nice linked resort (St JEAN DE SIXT, Le Grand Bournand)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David@traxvax, What's the early season snow like in La Rosiere? We've got flights for Xmas week so is it pretty snow sure?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homphomp, here's the SCGB Historical Report for La Rosiere. Doesn't look too bad for Xmas. Have a good one wherever you go.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Homp, the resort always opens around the 12/13th Dec and we haven't missed that for the last few years there's always been enough snow. From my experience there seems to be a major dump just before Xmas. The snow record in La Rosiere is very good, check out the Ski Club's snow history over the last 20 or so years it's remarkably consistent. it's all to do with our location, close to Mont Blanc and the height of the resort 1850 mts. If you're looking for accomodation we've still got some spaces or we can put you in touch with some of the owners of local apartments
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Val d'Isère is scheduled to open on November 27th, partial opening of some of the other big/high resorts such as Les Arcs/La Plagne December 4th, full domain of each December 11th (with Paradiski link December 18th). Le Grand Bornand partial opening from December 4th. Haven't seen the 3 Valleys dates yet. When booking well in advance for the early part of the season, I reckon it's safer to aim for the big domains, the highest resorts, well equipped with snow cannons. I've skied at Courchevel the week before Christmas a couple of times, in good conditions, plenty of snow.

Always a bit of a gamble whatever you opt for!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homphomp, toss a coin or put names of all resorts in hat and chose that way. Christmas is a gamble, and you won't know for sure until you get there.
This year friends went to Chamonix for Christmas. They arrived to be told the snow was so bad they were only issuing Day Passes. Gloom and doom all round. That night it dumped down. The text that morning read "Deep and Crisp and Even. They had a fantastic week. Go high is always good advice, but which High? Have you tried tea-leaves?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
homphomp, don't know off the top of my head the MBT costs, but I can find them out for you.

If you have a car then Courmayeur is a pretty good bet as both La Thuile, Cervinia and Pila are easily reachable for a day's skiing and the first two are very snow sure. The Vallee Blanche is also do-able from there.

You can avoid the main cable car in town and get the (vastly less crowded) one from just outside of town to the top of Zerotta, too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
homphomp, Went to Courmayeur earlier this year. Lovely little area. Can't remember the cost of the tunnel, i think it was about 10 euros. If you get 5+ day pass then you also get a day in chamonix, la Thuille and somewhere else - a bus service is also provided. Courmayeur is a smallish resort so you will need to use these if you are staying there. The runs at the top are very vulnerable to the winds as well - especially the cable cars!!

The main cable car in the town was fine to use if you got there early i.e. sometime before 9:30. The other side is very quiet so for the walk the other cable car is a very good option. Avoid Courmayeur on Sundays as it is heaving! Go somewhere else.

I've got the e-mail address of the hotel that we stayed in - very clean, friendly and tidy! We got 5 days B&B for 300 euros for a double room (i.e. 2 people), if you want it?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dan wrote:
Can't remember the cost of the tunnel, i think it was about 10 euros.

29.30 for a single and 36.50 for a return I think.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dan, which hotel did you stay in?

There's a bus service to the other cable car (Val Veny), and you get to ski right from its door instead of the walk required from the main one. There is a Valle d'Aosta pass which is valid in most/all of the other valley resorts, including Cervinia, La Thuile, etc. as Dan says. Buses run to/from Aosta, Chamonix & La Thuile, etc.

Wednesday afternoons and Sundays are the busiest days, unless the weather's "bad". The locals don't ski in "bad" weather.

Looks like I might be going back there this winter (though it's not definite).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skanky, Details shown below:

HOTEL BON SOUVENIR
Vicolo Dolonne, 18-11013 Courmayeur
Tel. 0165842880 / Fax 0165841390
E-mail : info@bonsouvenir.com
Url : www.bonsouvenir.com
Url: www.emmeti.it/bonsouvenir

The owner is called Aldo. Speaks very good English & loves a bit of banter! He replied to my e-mails almost immediately. Rooms were very tidy, on suite, had a balcony and the room also had some cooking facilties (we didn't use). The hotel was very clean and friendly. It was about 3 minutes from the bus station and 5 minutes from the main lift.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dan, I know the one (though not stayed in it). A very good position, pretty much close to everything. I (we) normally stay in the Hotel Camosci which is further out of town (towards the tunnel) because we know the owner and it's a short walk from my sister's house. A good hotel that's a distance from the town and lifts (though they owner does a regular shuttle to/from the main lift) but is walkable in and out in the evenings.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gosh....I spent ages typing a grateful response and snowHeads cut me off in my prime!

Thanks everyone for your info.....Courmayeur and La Rosiere definitely now on my list. I might just take Jonpim's advice and put them all in a hat and pick at random!

For starters we're now planning to go to Bourg St Maurice for Xmas and use it as a base to explore the surrounding area. PG can you recommend a good B&B in town....I see some other snowHead has already bagged your studio!
ski holidays
A good alternative to Verbier is Nendaz - it's all lift-linked but is cheaper to stay/eat/drink in than Verbier.

I'm not sure of what accomodation's available (I know someone who runs catered holidays there) but it's a fairly sizeable place so there's bound to be apartments to rent. There are some good bars and restaurants and a fairly decent nightclub.
ski holidays
homphomp,

Have you ever considered Canada. All I know is that you can go skiing in BC for cheap, there are no lift lines and the people are quite hospitable. I've heard very much the opposite of ski areas in Europe.

Kieran
ski holidays
khickey wrote:
homphomp,

Have you ever considered Canada. All I know is that you can go skiing in BC for cheap, there are no lift lines and the people are quite hospitable. I've heard very much the opposite of ski areas in Europe.

Kieran

Given that homphomp started the thread celebrating the purchase of cheap flights to Geneva, I think Canada might be a little impractical. Confused
snow report
I just want to add distance wise the French side of Porte du Soleil is easier to reach because Les Get/Avoriaz are a lot nearer to the airport. I estimate the drive should take about 45 minutes. Les Contamines is is near Sallanche and could be reached by just over an hour drive from the Geneva. La Rosiere must be entered from Boug St Maurice and that is a two hours from the airport. Of course one can visit Val Morel, the 3 vallee and La plagne before arriving at Boug. La Clusaz is a bit out of the way although it is very close from the Generva-Chamonix motorway. Flaine is probably the quickest you can hit from the airport. Staying on the Swiss side normally cost a bit more.
latest report
Morillon's quicker than Flaine, the Flaine road is a pig and quite difficult sometimes. The Morillon road's easier, even 1100 which ought to be harder never really is.
ski holidays
Alastair, You're right....the transfer time would be a bit long!!

Cheers for all the info guys....Have booked BSM for the XMas trip so we've got the choice of lots of high snow sure stuff, still undecided about the others!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy