Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap transfers?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm currently considering booking a diy holiday in April and I cant seem to find a decent transfer company who doesnt charge about 400quid each for the privilege. Are there any resorts with a direct train or bus link from airport to ski resort, or are there any coach companies that offer cheap transfers to various resorts that are bookable online?
Any resorts would be considered but preferably Les Deux Alpes, Alpe d'Huez or Espace Killy. Trying to keep the price down as much as possible.
Thanks,

Ryan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
element, are you looking for a full week?

If only a weekend then car hire is usually a good bet.

For longer periods try Transfer Intelligence
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look at eurostar, you won't use it to travel but their routes will give a good guide to what can be reached by train. Work backwards from there to pick which airport would be best (or maybe even fly to paris and train doen from there). Also worth trying the airports' websites, they'll probably have a list of local services.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
element, I am going to Obertauern at Easter and shall be using the shuttle from Salzburg airport at €39 per person.
The website suggests a maximum 1 hour wait.

I think that there are shuttles like this to many resorts from Salzburg. Not Les Deux Alpes, Alpe d'Huez or Espace Killy, but you did say you'd consider any resort...

I have a feeling that there is a bus from Grenoble to the first two you mention.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
element - where are you flying into?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
element, Transisere run coaches from Geneva, and theres a transfer coach from Grenoble to LDA for about 15E
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies everyone Smile
PhillipStanton, I'm flexible, wherever is the best value. I'd like to go to a high resort with a glacier though as It'll be the week 14th-21st April.
thanks

ryan
latest report
 brian
brian
element,

www.altibus.com will get you most of the Northern French Alps (inc the 3 you mention) from Geneva, Lyon and Chambéry.

For L2A and ADH from Grenoble, www.transisere.fr but I think you'll have to change at Grenoble bus station.

You can also get from Geneva or Zurich airport stations to any resort in Switzerland for £56 return (kids with adults are free) using a swiss transfer ticket, journey planner is www.sbb.ch/en

If there's more than 2 of you, then a hire car will probably be as cheap.
latest report
 brian
brian
element, the glacier isn't so important in April as there should've been a whole season's worth of snowfall. Altitude and aspect are pretty important though, I'd look for somewhere with a whack of skiing above 2000m and not facing South.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Be warned; the mere presence of a railway station in or near a resort does not necessarily mean easy rail transfers from an airport. GVA to BStM, for example, appears to be a lifetime's work, unless I misread the timetables.

Many Swiss resorts are well served by train (Davos from Zurich and Zermatt from GVA from personal experience). In Austria, Kitzbuhel from Munich is good, and St Anton and other Austrian resorts have stations.

Otherwise, coach and/or minibus transfers are often available from airports to resorts; look at the airport and the tourist office websites.
snow report
 brian
brian
richmond, GVA to anywhere in France via rail is a non-starter really. Coach transfers are pretty good though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, that's exactly the conclusion I reached. Last time 8 of us hired a minibus taxi thing from the resort (Courchevel) for a reasonable enough price.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
element, a lot of resorts in Austria and Switzerland are well served by trains.

brian, while the Swiss transfer ticket is good, it's always worth checking out the "normal fare". Sometimes it works out cheaper just to buy a standard ticket.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try Altibus for France. Swiss Rail for Switzerland.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
element,

there are buses from Geneva airport to Tignes etc for about 40 Euros one way, or a bus from Grenoble airport to Grenoble bus/train station (5 Euros??) and a bus from Grenoble to L2A or AdH (for 10 euros ??). Not too sure when Easyjet stops flying to Grenoble though!
latest report
element, there is a good transfer service from Grenoble airport to both LDA and ADH, there is a shuttle bus from the airport after pretty much each flight into Grenoble and then the bus up to resort takes about 1h15 and about 10 euros each way. The bus however don't run very late, the last one is at 6pm. If there are 4 of you I use a taxi service which works out at 85 euros per person for the round trip, less if there are more of you.
latest report
element, if there are four of you or less then the best options from GVA would be car hire or the Swiss rail option.

Over four people starts to favour a dedicated transfer - so www.skitransfers.co.uk quote £386 for 6, 7 or 8 people return from GVA to Avoriaz.

If you don't want to drive then a good tip is to book your transfer late (especially if you're outside of peak season) - that way you might be get an additional couple of seats on an existing transfer - rather than paying for the whole minibus.

Given that 14-21 April is outside of peak time personally I'd hold off booking anything other than the flights at the moment - that way you can see where's got the best snow. Last season the snow in Avoriaz was great until the last day of the season on 1 May, so a glacier isn't always necessary.
latest report
I know a good guy in La Clusaz who will do a return transfer for 110€ for 4 people and 160€ for 8 people one way from Geneva. He also has a self catered chalet to rent which may still be free for April. A Bargain I would say.

La Clusaz has good skiing too - plus the Candide invitational is on the 1st April - always worth a watch! You never know he might try and break another world record again this year!

Take a look at http://www.aravistours.co.uk/ - He might be able to help.

www.gravite.co.uk
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy