Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride ski advice

Poster: A snowHead
My first post on snowheads and its a cry for help...

I am off to become a seasoal worker in Meribel this year (leaving on the 27th Nov) and am in desperate need of a pair of do-anything, go-anywhere, freeride skis. I have included (what I hope is) some useful information and was wondering if any of you could give me some advice...

Weight: 68kg (150lbs)
Height: 6'1'' (185cm)
Weeks Experience: 5

On the 'Recreation - Advanced - Expert' scale I reckon I rank in somewhere in the Advanced range (I learnt fast):

* I have practiced hard to perfect my parallel technique and am capable of executing flowing parallel turns on most red runs
* Steeper blacks and hard pack cause me to lose my style and/or miss turns, but I still get down in one piece
* A lack of practice in the bumps means that they are still a challenge
* I have had one week of guided off-piste skiing in chamonix (grande montets, vallee blanche etc.) - I coped well in the fresh and light but struggled in the crud and chopped up stuff.
* The park is a mystery to me and I won't be riding fakie any time soon.

So far I have been recommended three different skis, the [2007]174 Rossi Bandit B2s, [2007]175 Scott Aztec Pros and [2007]178 Scott Missions. I have skied 174 Bandit B2s and found them fine in the powder and horribly unstable at speed on the piste (with a good deal of rattling), the other two have come highly recommended to me and have had their fair share of good tester reviews.

Any advice you can offer would be greatfully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome, buddy. I,ll keep this as short as i can.

Test: Rossi B3, Volkl Karma, Volkl AC4, Nordica Supercharger, Nordica Afterburner, Salomon X-Wing Fury, Head Monster IM82, K2 Public Enemy.

All of these skis rock all over the mountain. Try Simon the PIEMAN at freeride.
And above all, get your boot right before trying any of this! Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ScottyGBR, welcome to snowHeads! Very Happy

My initial comments would be: forget the B2s, and don't buy before you get there. Try a variety of skis, and you should be able to get a bit of seasonnaire discount as well.

For a bit more stiffness at speed, consider the Fischer RX8 or Head XRC 1200. You might want to look at some of the Nordica Hot Rod range as a bit more of an all-round beast. Some would suggest you try the Atomic Metron B5 (but probably 162 long).

There's a few to sink your teeth into!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ScottyGBR, what sort of season are you doing? Have you got a job that includes equipment hire? The rate at which you'll progress will mean you could be soon out skiing skis that you buy at the start of the season anyway.

If you can get free hire gear, ski them for the first few weeks, then test some skis and buy what you like...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ScottyGBR, welcome to snowHeads!

Well done on doing the season, echoing what the others have said, I'd probably wait till you get out there and test as many skis as you can and you'll probably also be able to get them cheaper as well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This has been puzzling me for a while: apart from park aspirations, where are the Volkl Karma, Nordica Supercharger Ignition, K2 Public Enemy pitched compared to the Volkl AC4, Nordica Hot Rod Afterburner, K2 Apache Outlaw Puzzled And more to the point what are the real world differences Puzzled Anyone know/think they know Puzzled

SMALLZOOKEEPER, no Scott Missions in that list above?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ScottyGBR, Welcome to snowHeads.

My suggestion would be a narrower ski underfoot for better skill development, edge hold & carving etc & then hire fatter for a powder day. The Atomic Metron range skis offer all the above benefits & still give pretty good float for a light guy due to their wide tips'n'tails. You also ski them short which is great for tight spots etc. The new M11B5 in 164cm would be well worth testing. At your weight on the very stiff Metron B5 you'd ski the 152cm - yes really that short!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My 2p worth.. assuming young fit guy of 21, get some ski legs and a few miles under your belt on hire skis...if you get to know the shop they should be able to give you a decent pair once the snow cover is good- they probably aren't very interested in giving out this seasons skis in poor snow so don't take that too personally.

Once you have got your skiing going in the right place, all your preconceptions will be altered by the peeps you meet and ski with.
If you are on good terms with the ski shop, get dedicated piste bashers for hardpack and a fatter ski for the new snow days OP.
Your skiing should come on a bomb but don't go for expert's skis unless you can handle them and at 5 weeks some of them might do you more harm than good
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK thanks for your advice so far...

I am working at dicks (come and see me at the bar!!!) the downside of which is no free ski hire. I can probably beg, borrow or steal a pair which will do for the mean time - I think that the idea of hiring first is particularly sensible and was actually my first thought (before I got carried away with the idea of shiny new skis). My concern is that when I was in Meribel last year I noted that the ski shops in resort didn't seem to offer a large range of skis, and that in general those on offer were much more expensive than the prices available in the UK.

So... does anyone have any tips as to good three valley ski shops (obviously with a preference on Meribel based operations) i.e. those which will not charge me through the teeth to test skis out (once the snow gets better), stock a good range of skis, and offer them at competitive prices?

If i am asking too much of you guys (which I sense i may be) then please accept my apologies!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ScottyGBR, See Simon the Pieman at Freeride. Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I hope you didn't drop the butt in the garden Shocked
latest report
 brian
brian
ScottyGBR, I've recently bought a pair from a guy based in Méribel called Rob Solari meribel@freeride.fr is his e-mail, seems to know his onions ....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, I think i met him recently in Zurich. We were soooooo wasted. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ScottyGBR,

Ok, so no ski-hire thrown in..thats a shame. But you will get to network - or should do - and there should be oppurtunites. Get in with the chalet girls and see if you can blag a favour/ski off them... it might work both ways, and be careful with your favours at someones' else's expense..!!

For the early part of the season you might want to go for a more piste oriented ski that will deal with typically sparse snow-cover, I'm not sure the Aztecs or Missions are that great for that stuff and you might trash them early on.

I would get a cheap piste bashing pair that you can knock on for pennies if need be and save your money for the more discerning ski later on and when the snow gets deeper and better then you can splash out for a shiney pair of Missions etc then. Also, you will be a better skier so the range opens up...

I'd basically go with a cheap pair that do a job on hardpack, to get you out there on snow
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree with JT. Get some piste skis on Ebay to get you started then make a big purchase when you get out there. There's also the possibility that you'll be able to pick up something decent second hand when you get out there
snow report
GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat ski photos ARNO!!!!! Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
latest report

Check em out, they're good

Failing that, go see the guys in Le Camp de Base in the Forum in Courch 1850

Adam
ski holidays
An alternative is look at ski bilek and see what deals you can get for yourself. you could end up with 2 pairs where you'd pay the same price for 1 pair in the resort. Foxy reccomends the RX8. This is a great piste ski fast and stable on piste, I don't think it would be good for powder days. Otherwise if you are going for a Freeride ski try them out in the resort and mak sure the ski copes with the meribel ice. There is great skiing in the 3 Vallees. We expect or hope to receive regular resort snow reports with not too much gloating
snow report
Ok have cancelled my profeet appointment and stopped looking at skis on websites - I have been in contact with the freeride team (they actually offered me a job in their shop last year when I was in meribel for some early season snow!) and will be getting my boots off them when i get out there and testing some of the skis you guys have recommended when the better snow arrives.

I have been very lucky and have been gifted a pair of 3yo screams that will definitely do the business in the mean time.

Thanks for all your help and advice
snow conditions
dan100, snow reports with no gloating... not sure its gonna be possible, but I'll give it a shot
snow report
Dude you gotta try the new rossi B3s! (2006 or 2007) Ive dumped all my other skis since getting them. Use them both back country (fitted with AT bindings) on piste, crud, instructing, patroling or the best just trashing around the mountains.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy