Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on La Plagne- too many flat spots for snowboarders?

Poster: A snowHead
I am currently putting together a trip to the Alps in March 2005 and had almost settled on La Plagne. Now I have heard that there are a lot of annoying flat spots for snowboarders I'm not so sure. Could anyone advise please? Thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bonfire, I ski not board but I've visited LP many times. I don't think it's too bad - at least in the higher areas above Bellecote and Belle Plagne. I'm not so sure of the lower parts. Certainly many boarders go there and it has 3 funparks - one natural. A high proportion of the lifts are chairs. I can ski for a week and almost never use a drag lift. Off piste is extensive. It is a bit short of true black runs, if they're your scene.
Here's a link to the resort's web site. A pretty big place with loads of scope even without the link to Les Arcs.

There is one serious flat I know on the Carella piste (?blue?) which links from the Roche de Mio over towards the Champagny side. Boarders will have to trudge maybe 300m. Skiers will also have to schuss hard to avoid a shorter walk. On the Tunnel Run (real name Les Inversins. A long blue) also from Roche de Mio but towards the main bowl with Belle Plagne, Bellecote and Plagne Soleil and Village, there is also a short walk for boarders just before the tunnel and another small walk in part of Les Laines (linking back to BP) but other runs can get you there non stop.

With luck some boarders will check in later with advice / comments.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bonfire, I've been to the area but that was as a sk=er a few years back - i don't remember much about it but definately enjoyed it, now converted to the darkside Twisted Evil Anyway I was asking someone who organises the Orange AIM series and does something within British Snowboarding about Coucheval v Les Arcs and he said Courcheval immediately and said avoid Les Arcs - it's huge but that's it........too many flats.........too boring...........

But as said, La Plagne is a huge area anyway so no doubt you can have a good time over there and not venture over to Les Arcs. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, thats helpful. I already researched the resort online and at the ski club site, and I find that stuff like this can only be found here, speaking to people and benefitting from their experiences. The worst example I had of this previously was Sunshine Village near Banff- touted everywhere as a fantastic resort, has great snow, a long season and virtually no lift queues- but a soul destroying number of flat spots even when you take a death defying run at them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Arcs has loads of great boarding terrain! Better than La Plagne in my opinion.
Plus its got a great snowpark etc etc.
Can only think that the Orange man was refering to the bit where all the lifts meet at Arcs2000 re: too many flats....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
flying_squirrel, possibly, i don't know, but as so many resorts out there i'll try elsewhere first Wink although that will mean missing out on your fine establishment!

I was actually very disappointed with Val D'Isere earlier this year, lots of flat, especailly if you go up the Solaise side of the mountain. Over the Tignes is a bit better.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thats interesting- Val did have lots of flats but I found I could manage a lot of them if I was really gunning it- there was one really long bit which was unavoidable at the bottom of Borsat express all the way down to the Mont Blanc chair which I remember well. Actually yes, now I come to think of it there were quite a few! Shock
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you considered Alpe d'Huez? - it's a great resort, very well laid out IMHO. No real flat spots either. Even the long flat at the bottom of the Sarenne is easily negotiated after a good run at it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bonfire, well when the most you could see was the chair infront on the lift up, getting up a real head of steam when coming back down on the board not knowing where the run went just didn't happen. So any flat bit we got hopelessly caught out on Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, as you can see here is a view of the chair in front when I was there:

http://www.fotolog.net/bonfire/?photo_id=4257807

Amazing how the weather changes everything!! Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shocked wow that's a wicked photo!! When we went on the up & over lift, we couldn't even see the lift in front so didn't know about the drop......................holy cow dung, my belly almost fell out of my butt!!! Embarassed Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bonfire, boarders graveyard under that lift, it's always amusing to watch people, having rode up on that lift, misread the gradient and end up walking out. It's a nice easy ride down providing you stick to the bits going downhill of course....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dan, up and over is pretty amazing right enough! My sister is scared of heights but doesnt let it stop her- she had to hide in her boyfriends armpit until she got off the lift!

Ise- Borsat had some great "near piste" powder but as you say it was pretty easy to get bogged down and end up with a long walk out. I think the possibility of that "protects" a lot of the good stuff though Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bonfire, It's like that up on the Pissaillas as well, if you know the terrain it's great (especially in Spring) on skis or board, if you don't it's good walk Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bonfire, I went to LP last March and found it to be a pretty good intermediate resort for boarding. I actually do recall being rather p****d off at some rather flat spots that required removal of board and a walk mumbling under my breath as skiiers poled passed.

Having said that, there is some good boarding to be had and wouldn't say that the flat bits were reason not to go.
snow report
Thanks for that Peter. I think I have decided on La Plagne at this stage, as the response seems to be good (I've been chatting to other people who have been too!). I think that there will be flat spots, but no worse than anywhere else. I can live with this given that I have a group which consists of a mix of skiers and boarders of all abilities and speeds and I think La Plagne should keep everyone happy.

Do you have any other info or advice on La Plagne?
snow conditions
bonfire, we stayed at Montchavin which is very low comparatively, family village so can't comment on nightlife in LP proper.

In terms of the runs, the gong for most disappointing was the very top of the glacier - can't recall name. The most memorable was over the back of La Grande Rochette and heading for Champagny - a long, long winding track down the side of the mountain that felt like I was tyhe only person in the world on the slopes (on that day anyway)

There's tonnes of pistes to play with and would just advise to go for it and see as much as you can - I didn't manage the whole lot due to kids clubs/creche etc

Stavanger - do you know Dave Ukich?
snow report
Thanks again Peter, all good stuff there. We plan on staying in Belle Plagne for the convenience and supposedly its the least ugly of the high altitude resorts!

I don't know Dave, sorry! I will keep my ear to the ground though, Stavanger is a surprisingly small town Blue
ski holidays
bonfire, BP is a good choice both for access to the slopes and it is the prettiest of the new, purpose-built bits. Virtually all of BP is ski in / ski out - or board in your case. One or two reasonable bars and 3/4 restaurants in BP. One bowling alley. Not the best nite life. But the gondola runs down to Bellcote until 1 a.m. (I think) if you want a bit more scope. From Bellecote, there's a ski bus service down to Plagne Centre and the lower bits. I reckon you'll have a good time. It can be pretty cold in January - had a few days with hood up and googles on just to stop eyes watering.
snow report
Cool! Sounds good. I'm beginning to really like the sound of Belle Plagne, but now I am struggling to find accomodation for my group! Life is cruel Wink
ski holidays
i went to la plagne , if you dont like flat spots, dont board (which is technically for gay people only).
ski holidays
bonfire, Have you tried Erna Low-do loads of accommodation in La Plagne.
ski holidays
Thanks Helen, I have tried Erna Low. They did indeed have a chalet but I then discovered that they no longer do catering. I think that with a big group this is a must, particularly given that you get looked after by someone else and it usually ends up cheaper anyway!
ski holidays
bonfire, if you want a hotel in BP try the Mercure (formerly the Eldorador). Loads of the Brit T.O.s will have it on their websites. It used to be a cheap(ish) 2 star with great food - best buffet breakfasts I've ever had in France. Now it's changed hands and gone a bit upmarket, who knows ??? Still showing as a 2 star, however. Not so many true chalets in BP - most of it is S/C apartments. In fact the resort's own web site accommodation finder comes up blank if you ask for a chalet in BP. Igluski comes up with 8 catered chalets for a group of 8+. But the first one claiming to be the ex-Eldorador is wrong. They've got their buildings mixed up. Les Balcons is both a 3 star hotel and a 'chalet complex' - if you see what I mean.
If you get stuck, try Bellecote - it's not much lower than BP with similar piste access. In fact, from BP most people will slide to down to Bellcote first before getting a chair or gondola to the higher parts. Good luck.
latest report
bonfire, Try Silver Ski, we ahhve booked in 1800 with them but they do have some big chalets further up the hill. One called Topaz in BP looks perfect.. We tried to bok it for 2nd Jan but it was full (no suprise
latest report
bonfire, bear in mind also that if you get the accommodation you want in BP it will almost certainly be part of large multi-storey block. Not a 'chalet' in the conventional sense. Try here and then click on the Belle Plagne resort plan for a very good persective on how it all looks. Can't find Frosty's 'Topaz' on the map but most of the big blocks are named after gemstones so it's not likely to be a small, detached chalet, Swiss style.
snow report
Thanks, will look into this Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy