Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LA THUILE

Poster: A snowHead
ANYONE GOT ANY OPINIONS ON LA THUILE, THINKING OF GOING THERE NEXT YEAR WITH WIFE AND TWO KIDS.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No queues on the lifts for starters, uncrowded slopes. Some fine Restaurants. Good intermediates resort. The easiest skiing is at the top of the gondola, the runs back to the bottom are either black, or a long red run, so many chose to take the gondola back down as well. Seem to recall some runs get a bit flat in places so it could be awkward for boarding.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And it links into La Rosiere
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great place,

Good for all levels of skier
Planibel hotel or apartments very good as has swimming pool+ for the kids and close to the main lift.
links into La Rosiere (France) but have a long button on return so if the kids are young (under 10) they may find it trying.

Snow sure and the Italians are very friendly

Ski school right by the main lift and at the top of the gondola some nice blues and greens
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David, Good resort but I'd recommend La Rosiere first, it's sunnier and warmer, La Thuile can get very cold especially around the San Bernadino, high and open. Also I have a chalet in La Rosiere, for more information go to www.tracksvactions.com or email us on info@tracksvacations.com. Both La Rosiere and La Thuile have very comprehensive websites.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David@traxvax,

You would say that wouldn't you? Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've not stayed there, but I've had a few days at La Rosiere/La Thuile, and quite like it. There's more variety of terrain and normally better snow quality on the Italian side of the area, and there's an old Napoleonic fort and some old mine workings to ski around, which is fun. Lots of long drags to get you over the border mean that novice snowboarders (like me!) may struggle though. An advantage to staying on the French side, if you take a car, is the easy access to better areas, like Paradiski & 3V.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely recommend it, Wonderfull mountain restaurants, quiet village, great cruising. With a couple of genuine blacks too.
Echo what snowplough says about the drag back from la rosiere. It must surely be the longest flatest drag lift anywhere.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pete, without hesitation.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I missed out of my post the fact that one of the best mountain restuarants in Italy, if not the best, is in La Thuile. La Reonette on piste 7, which is an 11kms run from San Bernadino back into La Thuile. Absolutely the finest pasta and a great location, if you've over indulged at lunch, the run down to La Thuile is perfect, easy cruising, you're actually on the road, so hair-pin bends, bridges, etc it's brilliant. If you can manage to get past Le Reonette, ther's another restuarant in La Thuile called the Rascard which is worth a detour. In fact, you have to detour off piste7 or piste 2, with a bit of off-piste through someone's garden to get there but worth the effort. Magnificant pizzas, I think they offer about 50 different combinations.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, I think David Last is going to owe us all a Last Supper (does the chalet have a very long table, David?) if this continues.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David, you'll just have to come out out and see for yourself, but as you know you're always welcome. Yes the dining room can be cofigured for a single long table.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahh, David, Thanks for the memory. I'd forgotten about that run. Its a fantastic feeling knowing your skiing on snow covered public roads. La Reonette is indeed a wonderfull restaurant. I also remember a reasonably sized pond I nearly wiped out into on that run...
Now that could have taken some explaining at the bar.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tree skiing in La Thulie gets a good write up in this months fall line skiing magazine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only had one day there recently and skied across into La Rosiere. If you are into long easy cruising, then I have to agree. Absolutely brialliant. Mind you, weather was fantastic. As David says however, I believe that as it's all very exposed, it can be cold and windy if weather is wrong.

PS David, just tried getting into your site and looks like server is down?
ski holidays
Only been for a day from Courmayeur. Was very good, but was also the coldest/windiest day's skiing I've ever encountered (but I enjoy that sort of weather, so it wasn't a problem).

If you do go and the snow's very good, Courmayeur's worth a visit for a change of scenery. I think La Thuile's covered by the Valle d'Aosta lift pass.
snow conditions
There's a new trax site in development (95% complete) <a href= "http://www.amicis.net/tracksvacations/" > here </a>
re. La thuile:
1. the trees are v'fine but v'steep and not recommended when they’ve been rained on and you’ve ½inch of blue ice over 3ft of soggy powder!
2. And the blacks down to the village were so hard and blown clean that they’d boogered the back tines on a snow bison!
JohnB
latest report
well that worked!
http://www.amicis.net/tracksvacations
latest report
skanky, I'm presuming you've never skied Cairngorm then?!?!? Twisted Evil
latest report
David@traxvax wrote:
David, Good resort but I'd recommend La Rosiere first, it's sunnier and warmer, La Thuile can get very cold especially around the San Bernadino, high and open.

Has to be said though, after the big thaw late November/early December when skiing from La Rosière we quickly moved over to the Italian side - far better conditions, (as well as a faster and better lift infrastructure, and considerably cheaper food!!) The extra sun in south-facing resorts can be a disadvantage at times.
That said, the two resorts are complementary, although an unfit friend who decided to do the link on snowblades quickly regretted it, there's some pretty flat sections to negotiate on the way across!
snow report
masopa wrote:
skanky, I'm presuming you've never skied Cairngorm then?!?!? Twisted Evil

Only been there one June (the summer before my first skiing holiday - it was the inspiration), and though there was snow, and it was as cold, there was none on the pistes NehNeh
snow conditions
I have been twice now and have just booked to go again. We tend to stop in the studios at the plannibel. I hate paying for half board when i enjoy eating out soo much.
I would recommend the ski school for any intermediates. Get Gino if you can. He's 63 and has been an instrutor at the resort for 44 years. Hope i'm that fit at his age.
Run 7 is fantastic but i would go for 7b at the top, its a bit steeper and not quite as long. Runs 6 and 9 are great reds with 9 being a very wide open hacking run. Very Happy

My favourite however is run 3/2, cant remeber which but it has a 70+ gradient for well over 300m with a nice hill at he bottom to slow you down.

Cant wait to get back.
ski holidays
Hi Hornby, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
Hornby, Welcome. Was there a couple of weeks back ("check out Snow Reports"), it's a pleasant, lively place in the summer months too.

Any recommendations for the best restaurant(s) in La Thuile?
latest report
Hi Hornby, I got a bit of a surprise when I saw my name at the top of this, totally forgot I'd asked this. booked Alpe d'Huez instead though, but thanks for all the input everyone, much appreciated.
ski holidays
Hi Hornby! Is that your real name or are you a fan of those little trains?
snow conditions
PG, one of the best restaurants in La Thuile is the Rascard, its a little way out of town near to the baby lift. Take the road from the Gondola toward La Thuile but turn left at the bottom, a right urn leads into La THulie itself. The Rascard is signposted about 200 -300 metres along the road to the left. La Thuile is worth going to for cheap booze, it's a duty free area and there are a number of outlets close to the village centre. Another very good restaurant is the Reindet, which is on the Col de Petit Saint Bernard.
snow conditions
Has anyone any more detailed info on the link to La Rosiere?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty, what details do you want? You can find info on both the La Rosiere and La Thuille websites. I can give you some more if you let me know what you're looking for.
snow report
Plake wrote:
An advantage to staying on the French side, if you take a car, is the easy access to better areas, like Paradiski & 3V.
Bigger maybe, I'm not so sure about better. If you stay on the Italian side (La Thuille) you can get to Champoluc, Pila, Cervinia, Courmayeur and Chamonix.
ski holidays
A visit to La Thuile is essential if you are staying in a nearby resort. I had a day trip there from Courmayeur and loved it. Good steep blacks through the trees and loads of cruising runs up top. Plus La Thuile has the best lifts I've ever encountered, plenty of new 4-man types, and no queues.
snow report
Frosty ,

The link with La Ros is OK going from Italy>>>>>> France but the link back from <<<<<<<<<France has a long button which can be a pain in the bum literally. Embarassed

Still really worth it
will be going back myself one day
latest report
Yes, the lifts are superb, and a mention really should also go to the public loos outside the Rizi at the foot of the Forclas (?) chairlift. Possibly the cleanest, best maintained conveniences in the World....
snow report
Had gone from both the Italian and French sides. Can't beat the French side though if one wants to go off to other resort. It is the nearest resort from Bourg St Maurice, apart from Les Arcs. The bottom lift of La Rosiere at 1175m is only about 5 to 6 miles from the Bourg.

La Thuile has more charm and skiing is definitely more entertaining, restaurant good and no complaint about the chairlifts either. I think La thuile is bigger as well as having less skiers so it does look like a perfect place to be. I too have no bad memory of it. Also I seem to stay in the Italian side more irrespective which side I approch.
snow conditions
Waitresses in the restaurants on the Italian side definitely make the trip worthwhile Cool (is this lowering the tone Puzzled )
ski holidays
We're all tone deaf here. Got any photos?
latest report
You live there! you don't need photos Evil or Very Mad
latest report
I'll settle for a few photos of Cardiff barmaids, to remind me of what I'm missing...
snow report
Well here's one of the boss at the Cardiff slope to keep you going. I'll take a camera next time I go to the pub Madeye-Smiley

Back to topic.........
snow conditions
Unfortunately Hornby is my real name. Luckily it not the type of name that everyone takes the mickey out of you all through school Wink

My favourite restaurant in La Thuile is the Copper Pot/Pan which is underneath the lower gondella station. Really nice food and wine with a big open fire

I agree about the chair lifts. It's very common to be the only person on one.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy