Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

anyone been to zell am see

Poster: A snowHead
hi..

was just browsing, as you do, and came across an apartment for rent in zell am see in austria.
has anyone been there and if so is the area good.

looking to go between december and Feb.. maybe more than once.. dunno yet.

also are there weeks when not to go.

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mugen, the slopes at Zell are pretty good most of the time, but it can be Christmas before it really starts to open up due to snow patterns. This year was exceptional, with the lifts opening from the end of November, but don't rely on it. That said, Kaprun has the glacier open from August, so even in the worst years you can get to decent slopes in 15 minutes on the ski bus.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ousekjarr wrote:
mugen, the slopes at Zell are pretty good most of the time, but it can be Christmas before it really starts to open up due to snow patterns. This year was exceptional, with the lifts opening from the end of November, but don't rely on it. That said, Kaprun has the glacier open from August, so even in the worst years you can get to decent slopes in 15 minutes on the ski bus.

thanks for that.
is it advisable to hire a car or is it compact enough to d without one..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forget the car - you can get there easily from Salzburg by postbus or train, and once you are in the town everything is reachable on foot or by using the excellent buses. Trips out to Kaprun aren't necessary unless you are a high-mileage sort of skier, or the conditions are bad, but even then the ski buses run every 15 minutes or so.

Plus the centre of Zell is pedestrianised, and parking can be difficult.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ousekjarr wrote:
Forget the car - you can get there easily from Salzburg by postbus or train, and once you are in the town everything is reachable on foot or by using the excellent buses. Trips out to Kaprun aren't necessary unless you are a high-mileage sort of skier, or the conditions are bad, but even then the ski buses run every 15 minutes or so.

Plus the centre of Zell is pedestrianised, and parking can be difficult.

again thanks..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We went to Zell am See in January and went there for a day as part of the Salzburgerland ski pass. We found it to be quite small, overcrowded (in January) and had poor signposting. There was also a lot of walking especially to get back from the blues to the cable car stations at the bottom of Schmittental area.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
was in zell at the enf of feb, had a fantastic time. stayed in an apartment in Kaprun which was nice. Not really much happening in kaprun in the evenings. The slopes in zell were perfect. did one day on the glacier which was great too. it was only my second ever ski trip but i will be back
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In Zell am See just before Christmas. 3 days of powder, quiet slopes, lovely scenery. brilliant!
My son went again in january. Great snow, again pretty quiet.
Had some friends go in last week of Feb. Great snow again but very busy. Apparently its the German school 1/2 term then so probably would avoid last 2 weeks of Feb as its also British 1/2 term then too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been to Zell a couple of times. Good for intermediate to beginners. Not a lot of off piste opportunities. You can buy a card that covers Kaprun too, although it's a decent trapse on the bus. I wrote a report that's listed here.

SCollier1, never walked an inch in Zell.... you gotta take some speed with you to get around some of the stuff at the bottom, but you should never have needed to walk.

Generally I like Zell, it's good value and the pistes are well maintained. It suffers from being a little low at the start and end of the season. It can get slushy on fine days low season at the bottom, by the gondola stations. Apres is OK but not rocking, Crazy Daisy's Pub is not Mosserwirt. There is plenty to keep you amused for at least a week there. Skiing relatively hard you can ski every run in a day no problem, but there are always little bits to discover. Off piste is a bit limited, the black runs are not particularly black, more red! There is not one run in the resort that really deserves a black label, they seem to have labelled two of them black just to convince themselves they have a difficult run!

Breitner's Sonnenalm is great for lunch.

As I said I've skiied Zell twice, and that's an indication it was good enough to go back to. It's great value, easy to get to, and a reasonable size ski area. The lift system is excellent, mostly chairs and gondolas, only a couple of T bars. I'd go back again.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SCollier1, are you sure you went to Zell am See??? I was there for 2 weeks in January and it was never overcrowded, also there are no blue valley runs and to get from the blues on the mountain to the Schmittental is one gondola ride down on the Trass Express, so I don't know why you needed to walk unless you took a wrong turn. To be fair you have a point about the on mountain signage, it is not the best.

mugen, You'll be fine in Jan and early Feb, pre Xmas will be fab if the pattern of the last two years continues (Xmas 2006 was touch and go) like anywhere else I would avoid Xmas, New Year and half term.

As fatirishman, says it is not the most challenging resort for the real expert, the blacks are not the toughest in terms of steepness but black 13 and 14 can be very icy in January as they spend most of the day in the shade.

I know Zell well, what/where's the apartment ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was there March few years ago. We loved Zell am see , just an allover nice little town. Train getting there is great, and pedestrian area lovely. Skiing not very difficult, great for intermediates, spent wonderfull week with more than enough to ski , just went to Kaprun one day, but not necessary as had more than enough snow.
I can really recommend it, wish I could go back!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
robboj wrote:
SCollier1, are you sure you went to Zell am See??? I was there for 2 weeks in January and it was never overcrowded, also there are no blue valley runs and to get from the blues on the mountain to the Schmittental is one gondola ride down on the Trass Express, so I don't know why you needed to walk unless you took a wrong turn. To be fair you have a point about the on mountain signage, it is not the best.

mugen, You'll be fine in Jan and early Feb, pre Xmas will be fab if the pattern of the last two years continues (Xmas 2006 was touch and go) like anywhere else I would avoid Xmas, New Year and half term.

As fatirishman, says it is not the most challenging resort for the real expert, the blacks are not the toughest in terms of steepness but black 13 and 14 can be very icy in January as they spend most of the day in the shade.

I know Zell well, what/where's the apartment ?

this is the website for the apartment i initially saw..
http://www.zellamseeapartment.com/

having said that they've not responded to email so.. thing is i wasn't even looking for anything to do with skiing when i stumbled across it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robboj wrote:
SCollier1, are you sure you went to Zell am See??? I was there for 2 weeks in January and it was never overcrowded, also there are no blue valley runs

What about runs 12, 12a/b & 16?

http://www.bergfex.com/schmittenhoehe-zellamsee/panorama/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mugen, that's my friend's apartment, in the same building as ours. She normally responds to email fast so I'll get her to check if she is having email problems (we're seeing them later tonight).

D
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, the runs you have mentioned are 'skiwegs' (ski roads) not slopes. Both are quite flatish, but if you keep your skis straight or in a small plough there should be no problem. snowHead
latest report
Deliaskis wrote:
mugen, that's my friend's apartment, in the same building as ours. She normally responds to email fast so I'll get her to check if she is having email problems (we're seeing them later tonight).

D

thanks
snow report
i went on the 12, 12a and 16 runs first day in zell, on a snowboard. fukn nitemare. thought the run would never end. school boy error
ski holidays
i had a great time over there this year
i would go back again
kaprun was good too
we had a day out in saalbach and that was a good area
ski holidays
Hi, we've been twice, 1st time about 6 yrs ago, over xmas, they had a slow start to the season snow wise and the last day of our week the resort was badly in need of a good dump of snow, think it was a pretty bad yr for snow all over Austria that yr. We went again this yr, 14th March taking our 4 yr old daughter and had a great time, loads of snow, fairly quiet slopes, plenty to keep us busy and the town itself is lovely, we really like Zell and would definately go back.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy