Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - What to do?

Poster: A snowHead
We have 3 days. Looking for suggestions for three good intermediates;

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Also, we need a good ski school near Chamonix sud (we have one first timer coming)

Thanks

TP
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Day 1 Ski

Day 2 Ski

Day 3 Ski

... unless you are boarders. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LOL. Very helpful. You forgot drink lots though!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bh1, Laughing Toofy Grin

You could always visit Footworks, take a piccy of SMALLZOOKEEPER, and stick it up on media zone for eng_ch to see Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good point. I need some new boots. Is he any good? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tp023, You should certainly do the Vallee Blanche trip which as an intermediate you would be capable of. The skiing, on the easier route, is not too demanding, but its an experience not to be missed - the views of the ice on the glacier. You will need a guide because of the crevasses and seracs, etc... It is a long run ( 24kms ), not too steep all the way to Courmayeur at the other side of the Mont Blanc tunnel. The Aiguile du Midi cable car takes you up to 3842 m - through the tunnel and to the infamous ridge walk down to the start of the run. And take the bus back from Courmayeur to Chamonix. That should take care of one of your days.

Do not have experience of their ski schools, but check out the following - Evolution 2; White Sensations and of course ESF.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hibernia,

A bit confusing there...you will not get to Courmayer from the Midi plan...not unless you can skin it and the connecting cable does not work in winter.....!!! at least I've never seen it work.. The VB goes down the Mer de Glace on its way to Chamonix. Expect to catch the train down the last part. But the VB from the arrette is indeed a long run...through spectacular scenery. Expect it to be open late jan..or earlier if enough snow has filled in the crevasses, get a guide and spend a great day out. As always, watch the weather and organise the trip for the best of your days there. It will likely be cold so pick the blue-est skies.

Also, get upto the Grand Montet to see an outstanding bowl but it depends how adventurous you are ...you can pretty much do what you want up there...within reason. If you are lookin for Red runs, then don't bother. In good weather Les Houches is good fun..but then you will miss Flegere/Brevent. So little time...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tp023, Yes he's very good, and cute with it, but if you're a guy that wouldn't be much of a bonus Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tp023, Day 1) Le Tour - lovely tree skiing and easy to warm legs up.

Day 2) Grand Montets - especially the top (even if you have to ride the cable car down)

Day3 ) VB and then beer and then home !

THe above based on the assumption you'll be able to leave yoour first-timer all day Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tp023, Day 1 , after you've got passess and orientation, ski Brevant side for the day. Get to the top and come down piste Chales Bozon a couple of times. Its a black but confident intermediates can manage it.

Day2/day 3 Grand Montets and Argentiere/Valee Blanche. Interchangeable.

Drink lots, apres at Chambre Neuf, cocktails in La Choucas
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another ski schoool that I've heard about is
http://www.basschamonix.com/

Are you planning on spending any time with your first-timer?

Definitely VB for a day, and Grands Montets...if they have lessons at Les Chosalets and you're at the Grands Montets then you could at least meet for lunch...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't let the novice hold you back or neither of you will enjoy it (sorry don't mean it to be as harsh as it comes across Blush ). If you can meet for lunch fine if not you'll have plenty of time to swap stories during apres and on in to the night.

We always have a mixed group which often contains just one or at most 2 less experienced/confident skiers and we have a rule that we won't hold each other up. That way we get to enjoy ourselves on the tougher stuff and the beginner can do his lessons and practice in the afternoon. It seems to work well and everyone has a great time
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tp023, when you looking at going?? The Valley Blanche at the top of Argentiere aren't usually open until later in the season IIRC
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1st week in Jan. We would like to spend a little time with the first timer but he can manage on his own.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tp023, hmm, unless they have a shedload of the white stuff in between, I don't think the Vallee Blanche or Argentiere Glacier will be open in that case Sad Le Tour and Brevent were my favourite areas there.
latest report
Thanks. We are hiring a car so getting around the valley won't be a problem.

Let's pray for snow in the mean time.
snow report
tp023, you're hiring a car - that's even better - you can visit Courmayeur and the other Italian resorts ( La Thuile, Pila ) on the other side of the Mont Blanc tunnel.

I am hoping to do the VB tour in late January/early Feb 2007, but going from the Courmayeur side, assuming of course that it is open ( always a big "If " ).

Yes - let's hope it snows - start praying to the snow gods!.
snow report
tp023, some like halfhand have sensibly suggested you should be flexible. The weather can be a bugg@r in early January. If 'orrible in Chamonix it can be quite gorgeous in Courmayeur. The Vallee Blanche is only sensible in good weather. I would pencil it in for each day and consider it a bonus if you do manage it. A guide is essential.
Le Tour is always friendly and a great place to start (piste; info on run to Vallorcine).
Then plan to spend one day on the Brevent side, another doing the runs above Argentiere, and substitute a run down the VB if weather allows.
latest report
Plan praz/brevent is a must, it's also the only run back down to chamonix,(as opposed to up Embarassed ) and a good one if you like tree lined winding trails.
ski holidays
Ludo, Are all the runs back to Cham from Brevant classed as black? I'm sure the ione we did a coupe of years ago was (quite a toughee for me I can assure you but a bit of a blast when all's said and done).
latest report
halfhand, I think (?) there's only one. No idea why it's classed as black as it's really just a road. Presumably it gets rather polished as the season goes on...

I would check but the CdMB website is, embarrassingly for them I guess, down.
snow report
David Murdoch,

The entry into it is quite hard..... we ducked under the ropes and ended up in a gully before coming out on the path which is not often in a skiable condition at the bottom. I can't think that that was the black run..too steep and tight in places AIRC
snow conditions
JT, That's the one, it was the gully that scared the s"£t out of me. However, there was no rope but there was a sign indicating that it was the direction back to town.
snow conditions
Tha's the one, quite "gnarly" as my son would describe it but very enjoyable, conditions permitting... also very hard on the legs, it being the last run of the day and all. I did it last at the end of march and snow coverage was a bit "sketchy" (god I'm starting to sound like my son..) so there was the added problem of avoiding rocks and bits of trees, still, better than coming back down in the egg
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy