Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

broken ski question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got home from the dryslope, where i managed to have a really bad fall and break the tip off one of my nearly new Atomic SL9s. (Not entirely sure what happened, but we had a tricky double gate next to the bump on the slope, cocked it up went over the bump, fell and after that the next thing i remember is having a sore back, and no tip on my left ski. Basicly the plastic tip is gone, about an inch of edge on one side is bent, and there is a fair bit of cracking in the base.

So my question is, first up given that the skis are still less than 6 months old would i be able to be really lucky and get it fixed under warrenty (the slope people did say to me that its very rare for a ski to break like that on plastic)
is there a fair chance they will be covered under house insurance (typically to keep it safe my insurance documents are at home in devon, and parents are in oz for 3 weeks)
finally, would it be compleatly stupid for me to try and ducktape/araldite it back together.

Typically i manage to break it the monday before BUDS Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the_fatadder, I would suggest that you will be lucky to get it repaired under warranty, as it is highly unlikely to be a manufacturing defect. I would be surprised if it is covered under house insurance, after all that would mean every time our skis wore out, we would be able to claim another pair.

You could try to araldite it back together, even better take it to a decent ski tech who'll fix it for you, but basically they'll only really be good as a second pair of rock hoppers/dry slope skis, as it's only a matter of time before they delaminate by the sounds of it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or the short form, as told to me by the ski shop owner in Zermatt after I hit my B2s on a rock when trying to stand them up in the snow (an expensive lession!) "You've Be Nice please! em!"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the_fatadder, ....sorry for your troubles....

If I were in your position I would try the warranty route. I got a single B2 ski replaced by Rossignol a few seasons ago - it was a couple of seasons old and a pair of skis replaced by Stoeckli at the end of last season - both de-laminated.

The damage you describe shouldn't happen on a plastic slope - sounds like it should have been in a vice grip to do tha sort of damage. They can only say ...No, but I think you have a reasonable case. If you were on a mountain and hit a rock then thats different, plus your back could be a lot more sore...! Toofy Grin

Good luck.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer, I had expected as much,

Dont suppose anyone knows of a ski shop with some remaining stock of last years SL9 in a 170 by any chance (or even better someone who has a spair one...)

edit:
BernardC, I will give it a try, how did you contact them? Just a case of email/call atomic out in euroland or talk to a local dealer (I think the local ski shop sells atomic gear)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the_fatadder, ......From memory I had written off the skis. Then I thought I would try to buy a single ski - now that is a 'Challenge Anika' in itself..! I had pretty decent bindings and the skis, or should I say the remaining good ski was very good - almost new. Trying to buy a single ski was impossible, but a shop owner whom I know in Tignes (Andre Duch) said he would ask the Rossignol rep if he could get one. The rep asked what the problem was - said it shouldn't have happened and said Rossignol would replace the ski. They even wanted to give me some money to cover the cost of re-mounting the binding. I said 1,000 euro would be okay Toofy Grin No, I just took the ski before anyone changed their minds.

I would suggest that you contact the shop/business where you bought them - explain the problem & that you think the ski may have been defective, as it should not suffer that level of failure on a plastic slope. You will need to take the ski back & push for a replacement. If that fails, or there is any difficulty then you will need to contact the UK Atomic distributor. I am sure some snowHead in the business will have their name & contact details.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't wish to wee wee on anyone's parade, but replacing just one ski is a cop out by the manufacturer.

If you buy a pair of shoes and one heel comes off, do you get a replacement shoe or a replacement pair?

The new single ski will always be mis-matched to the original ski - in terms of life, wear, and flex characteristics.

edit: I'll say it before some smartarse does, Atomic triplets excluded.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 7-11-06 11:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, .....basically I can agree with you....but hey, two skis are better than one......no...? Toofy Grin

I should have said that the B2's were a previous years - not the fancy dark blue graphics - the other ones. With 'models' changing each year, it's always difficult to get a previous model skis. The B2's are a massed-produced, plastic, ridiculed, ski anyway so I would think it unlikely one would be able to tell the difference.......

I am now going to the air-raid shelter....... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
with these i doubt the difference in ware would be a huge issue, they had only done a week of mornings on snow in july, and about 4hours (and ten minuits!) on plastic.

Of course I now start to suffer the problems of buying skis through ebay, in that although i know i was buying from a show, i havent a clue now who they were
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the_fatadder, ....I would suggest you go through the UK distributor then.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got the local shop to have a look at it, and supprise supprise there is no way it can be fixed.

Insurance company have said they will phone me back before 5 today to tell me the claim details, then its off to buy a new pair tomorrow. Shame this seasons sl9 dosnt look as good as last years! lol
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the_fatadder, Check out the UK distributor for Atomic first.. you may still be able to do a warranty claim. Look at the Atomic skis website and you'll find an address....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy