Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

“Volunteered” to organise work ski trip… argh!

Poster: A snowHead
Probably not the right sub-forum but I couldn’t think where else to put this.

After a few après-beers I foolishly mentioned in a work WA group that a late season work ski trip next year might be fun. It now looks like I have volunteered myself to make it happen.
The biggest trip I have ever planned is for 2.

So, how do I go about this?
I am assuming I pick a date and get numbers then contact a TO and see what they can do.
Or do I pick a destination and see when we could go?

Or pick a week AND a resort and everyone gets themselves there (so the “I HAVE to have a hot tub”, “I have a v restricted diet”, “I never pay more than £3.50 for a holiday” types are all happy)

My own destination preferences would be Austria (because that’s where I want to go), Italy (food!) or Andorra (for cost purposes). I would probably get fired if the date was half term or Easter hols, so thinking March.

I think we would be a group of maybe 12 adults, all post-beginner skiers and boarders. I was not planning on organising ski school or off piste guides - if people want those they can source them separately…

In these situations what happens if someone drops out? I don’t want to have to pick up their bill!

Spouses and partners? WE all work together but most us don’t know the “other halves”.

Or do I just bury my head in the sand and hope everyone forgets?

Sorry, that’s a lot of questions for one post but I’m a bit overwhelmed.

Aaaaarrrrrrgggggh!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Starts with "just bury my head in the sand and hope everyone forgets."
If you have to, then next step is gets public approval/support from a company's higher-up, the higher the better.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tag on to a snowheads bash....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@KNoceros,

1. Sign yourself up for the End of Season Bash
2. Attend the EoSB, posting pictures to the work WA group of yourself having a *seriously* good time
3. On your return to work, tell everyone about how brilliant the late season skiing is in Val Thorens. Yes, I know your preference is for Austria, Italy or Andorra but you said you wanted late season skiing and VT is reliable.
4. Advise your colleagues to join the snowHeads community.
5. When EoSB 2025 is posted, show colleagues how to press buttons and transfer funds.
6. Enjoy!

That way the group can be as big or small, as espoused or single, as you all wish. And should you become bored by your colleagues, you will not want for company.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plan where and when YOU want to go, guess how many are going (X) and have told you yep I’m 100% up for it. Get a price for the accommodation and transfer, find the flights that suit you and let them know.

Divide the price by X-3 or more as there will be some ‘ but my wife/husband/CFSP, parrots, hamster say i cant go’ collect as much dosh upfront all 100% well before the trip, hope you don’t end up paying more than the rest, if you get a bit left over possibly last night pissup for the group on the remainder

Alway so much easier to give back £20 per person at the end than ask for an extra £20

Assuming 2025 not 2024!

Pray someone else takes it on unless you really really want to go skiing with your workmates

Done many scuba diving hols and the odd ski one, if you get drop outs advertise widely often the randoms become good mates

None skiing partners need to remember ski resorts are really really boring if you’re not skiing

Some of us are organisers, most are not
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. Yes for clarity definitely not looking for 2024! That would be a desperate scrabble, especially as my employer wants 6 weeks notice of leave!!!

We’re an NHS group but the head of department would likely be one of the party so as long as we kept to the leave quotas (hence why I don’t think there would be more than 10-12 colleagues and can’t do school hols) it’d be ok.

I feel a survey/ questionnaire to the department coming on… if only to gauge interest levels, budgets and “red lines”.

If I tried to parachute a load of newbies who are already potentially insular into a Bash I worry that I might upset @admin and the Bash regulars…. Although it does sound tempting.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 3-04-24 19:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rois1980, erk! Now I’m even more tempted by the “ostrich” option. Although unlikely with this group. We are all the same grade and mostly 40-60 so hopefully know how to behave.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thoughts and prayers snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I organise our cycling club jaunts so feel your pain....

How I do those for 15-20 people is:

- Elect a date that works for everyone (via Facebook group or WhatsApp group poll)

- Narrow down destinations via ease of getting there from UK (and ease of getting to UK airport, as we all live local to each other) - destination must be a catch-all to suit the ability of the group, probably easier for skiing than cycling, but again we do that via a group poll. Omit the extreme choices and just go with the top two or three and ask what the group thinks.

- Then I narrow the accommodation down based upon a combination of reviews, location, cost and what's available on booking.com; someone always suggests self catering or even going fancy and getting a chef in, but then I remind them about logistics; a big bunch of people being cooked for is awkward and a bit of nightmare. HB or all-inclusive always works because there's always good choice for the fussy eaters, and we try to keep it in a nice location where there's civilisation for beers and hire shops.

- I know from experience budget requirements but generally as one of the lowest earners in the group, I know what's a good balance of cost - anyone who expects Michelin stars needn't apply! Obvs with a ski trip there's lift pass cost, so that can push budgets up massively.

- Once all details are identified, it's a case of everyone books their own thing based upon the date; there's always someone who wants a single room, or maybe wants to go early/stay longer but that's up to them and they can work out how they pay for stuff. I made the mistake of covering costs once and chasing money and it was a ball ache.

- Only thing I ever organise personally for the group is the transfer, but then we set up a Splitwise group so all group incurred costs get automatically shared.

We've never had any major incidents or fallouts with our trips over the past 5 years, and even with a few hiccups over the spec of bike allowed to someone, most things have run smoothly. Quite a nice feeling to be able to co-ordinate a big trip and know a load of like-minded people are going to have a mega, memory-filled week together
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to do this fairly often for groups of friends - anything from 4 to 15 people, though that was a while ago.

You pretty much have to be dictatorial about key aspects. These are:
Date
Resort
Type of accommodation (e.g. catered chalet, hotel, self-catering)

The type of accommodation is the main variable. Personally I like self-catering, but wouldn't do it for large groups unless I know several of them very well. Booking a whole catered chalet can be a good option, though it pretty much requires you to make the whole booking and then depend on people giving you the money. Also, there are not many UK-run catered chalets outside of France now (though there are some Dutch-run ones in Austria that may work for you) If you go for a hotel, then you can tell everyone the details, and ask them to make their own bookings.

The decision on spouse/partners can be left to the individuals. However, if people travel without a partner, they'll either need a single room (often with supplement), or to pair up with someone else. I'd leave that entirely up to the individuals to sort out (though if you go for a catered chalet, you have to know if people are willing to share or not)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The EOSB idea sounds good to me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A lot of TO's offer a free place for every 10 paying customers, so that might be a compensation for you being the organiser. This might be a deciding factor in getting the potential group's spouses/partners to come as well. Have a chat to some TO's about what you want, they may well be able to give you advice on getting things organised. It is in their interests at the end of the day. When I was organising school ski trips, the travel companies would send reps out for an evening presentation (with video/slideshows) for parents and children to see.

Pick 3 different resorts that YOU want to visit, list the pros and cons for each resort, that way, you'll get a resort you'll be happy with. Put out a pre-emptive flyer/email, with a poll on those choices to gauge initial actual interest. Explain that if a certain number isn't met (see point one), then the trip won't happen. You might just nip it in the bud right here!

If you get the 'But what about XYZ resort?' questions, then counter with 'I considered them, but have to think about everyone....' Otherwise you'll be inundated with suggestions, and nowhere will be decided on (Could be a way of getting out of it?).

Ask for a sizeable NON-REFUNDABLE deposit, and then explain what non-refundable means.

Set a specific timetable for payments, with final payments way before the final official TO deadline.

Explain, and stick to it, that dropouts do not get their money back. Be firm! You'll need to fill those spaces and the incentive of getting a subsidised holiday might swing any fence-sitters.

If anyone is vocal about thinking they can do a better job of organising and planning the trip... let them! Saying that, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Hopefully this has been of some use. A skiing trip with colleagues can be a great bonding experience, but don't feel forced into organising it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I organised a good few group trips when I worked at our local dry slope. I have one piece of advice if you want to succeed:

Abandon any thoughts of democracy such as votes on destinations etc. You need to be an energetic autocrat. Here is the offer - take it or leave it.

One more thing. If it’s a big group, use a tour operator. When it all goes tits-up because you get a snowmageddon transfer day, it’s someone else’s problem.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pick a resort suitable for most, and a date suitable for most.

Point them to the internet for the rest.

Up to them to choose flights, transfers, accommodation budget, partners, etc.

Maybe you work with nicer people than me.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KNoceros,
If not joining a Snowheads bash (which would be the best option) then talk to one of the tour operators who organise University trips.
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
...One more thing. If it’s a big group, use a tour operator. When it all goes tits-up because you get a snowmageddon transfer day, it’s someone else’s problem.
+1. DIY is fine for families, but unless you want to change jobs if things go wrong a TO is the best option!

Once you have an idea of date, accommodation type, broad location, and departure airport, get some TO quotes, and ask one of them to hold it for a period while you get people to sign up. Make it clear that everyone has to pay a deposit to commit, and after that are liable for the balance if they drop out. Or perhaps for finding an acceptable replacement if still within the period allowed for changes. Tell them all to get travel insurance.

Lift passes, equipment hire and lessons can generally be added later, either via the TO or directly, as people sort themselves out.
snow report
When organising a poll, remember Stalin:

Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.

Toofy Grin Twisted Evil wink
snow conditions
My experience says +1 for the benevolent dictator approach.
snow conditions
@KNoceros, I’ve “organised” a few group trips. Lots of good advice advice, I have a similarly approach to @Orange200,

Get together with a couple of core mates and pick a date, resort and accommodation. Tell everyone where you’re going, and some alternatives (cheaper/more expensive hotels, different flight times etc) and the message is “we’re going here if you want to come, here’s the travel/accommodation websites”. Once people book and send me confirmations, I arrange ski passes, transfers and dinners as necessary.

Depending on the group I either collect money in advance (ski club I always do this as some people are unreliable, work I tend not to as in my industry my colleagues and clients are inherently highly trustworthy and reliable on this kind of thing).

The key thing for me to avoid is wasting time getting quotes and arranging things for people who will never come.
latest report
Have you thought about getting a new job? Laughing
ski holidays
I have organised similar things before (not skiing but the same kind of thing with work), you need to be completely dictatorial with a wide group of people because otherwise you'll be tied up in knots with special requirements and you'll most likely be left seriously out of pocket.

If you are serious about doing it then the key hurdle is getting a small core group to actually book and pay the money, after this things tend to get a bit easier.

Seriously consider a Snowheads bash, otherwise my advice would be steps in the following order:
1 - Organise a small core group of 4 or so people that you know really well and are genuinely 100% committed. Agree everything with them (date, resort, accommodation, travel, equipment, lessons, food plans etc.). Choose accommodation that will take more people in additional rooms or units.
2 - Get the full amount of money from the core group to ensure you don't end losing money.
3 - Book the holiday for the core group, at this point you have a functioning trip.
4 - Widen the invite to the full group on a take it or leave it basis. Completely dictate what you are offering to book. If people want something else then invite them to independently book what they want in the same resort over the same dates but avoid taking any special requests.
5 - Demand full payment before booking anything for anyone.
snow report
Decide a resort and dates
Don't even try accommodation
Leave everything else to the individuals to book themselves
If you value your sanity do no more than this

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 4-04-24 12:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Plenty of time to interview and find another job Laughing

Be firm with people about dates to commit and pay, everyone says that they're seriously interested but loads will find a reason to back out ("oh can't do that week, it's my friend's cat's toy mouse's birthday"..."oh I go to France, I'm allergic to wool"). I wouldn't bother with deposits, get them to commit full whack, otherwise it's you with the hassle if they drop out later. You may have 10-12 now but I would wager that being 8-10 at best when push comes to shove.

When budgeting, allow bunce on top to cover stuff you haven't thought off, it's always difficult to add it in later.

Take a cut, it needn't be much but they're relying on you to spend your time and effort into organising a holiday for them, that shouldn't go unrewarded.
snow report
I've organised a few similar trips.

I guess it depends a little on what your department is like but the classic Tour operator 1 week trip occupying weekends at both ends of the trip may not suit people with children who have to leave their families for two weekends and sometimes on call commitments if yours is an acute department.

Going from say thursday to tuesday depending on flight times back allows for four to five days skiing and is generally better for time away from work and family.

Generally speaking I have found hotels or B&B's reasonably easy to find for this kind of stay providing it is not a really high season week so mid - late march should be fine.

If I was doing it I wold start by looking at flights form my nearest airport and see what flights are available for s trip from my nearest airport and then work out resorts with Hotel/ B&B accommodation.
I have always used car hire fro transfers which requires a degree of agreement as to who will do the driving /car hire. Nine seater vans are usually fairly easy to rent though with luggage I would not share with more than eight per van.

I would look at flights first then work out dates determine interest , take a look at accommodation estimate costs which will be very rough add on some. and then start . It's actually not that difficult if you can nail people down.
ski holidays
Money up front in full.
ski holidays
I used to work for a small tour operator, liaising with the leaders of ski groups. They would call me almost at their wits' end from trying to pry balance payments from their group members, dealing with spreading the cost over fewer people after multiple drop-outs, etc. If you do this, announce that you will collect 100% of the money up front. That will quickly show you who is serious! Tell them they must organise cancellation insurance. If anyone drops out and they can't find an acceptable replacement person (not your job), they lose their money but can claim through insurance if the reason is covered.
If you do manage to get anything back from the suppliers (TO, hotel, flights, transfers) after a cancellation, then refund the cancelled person afterwards.
snow conditions
Everyone in my group lives in the benign (and sometimes less benign) dictatorship of gorilla. I'm very open to other people organising stuff but they tend not to.

As others have said, TO is the way to go if you are booking a week as screw ups are someone else's problem. Also it's easy to get yourself in a position where there's 20 grand or so kicking round. EoSB looks like a good option.

If booking a weekend, I will select and book accommodation myself.

I'll suggest flights to people, usually late in the evening and strongly suggest that they book those. Travelling at night maximises skiing but people have to be fine with long days.

I'll then either book a private transfer or suggest
the number of cars we need. Cars are good if you need to store baggage on a last day while you go skiing.

The gorilla travel agency operates as a non profit but takes no financial risk.
ski holidays
oldschool72 wrote:
I used to work for a small tour operator, liaising with the leaders of ski groups. They would call me almost at their wits' end from trying to pry balance payments from their group members, dealing with spreading the cost over fewer people after multiple drop-outs, etc. If you do this, announce that you will collect 100% of the money up front. That will quickly show you who is serious!

Many people have already said this, including myself, but I think it cannot be understated. Whenever I've looked at group trips in the past there is nearly always a strong dropout rate once the money side of things rears it's head. In some cases I've only booked things for myself and told others what my plans are so that they can book for themselves. There are a very select few people that I am willing to book things for "on credit" because I trust that they will pay me what's owed promptly.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to be the person who set up this type of trip back in the early 90's.

As it has been previously mentioned.
Only choose the date and venue yourself or with a couple of die hards.

We used to use Mark Warner as the TO and go in early January as there would be bargains available.

We would book for ourselves and let the others book themselves.

Of course we didnt have a Hot Tub, but one of us had a room with its own glacier seeping in from the balcony.

The Bear Paw lodge near Kicking Horse (see link below) has a hot tub, sleeps 9.
But its an expensive trip of a lifetime.

As others have said EoSB in Val Thorens in two weeks time is the best deal on the planet.
ski holidays
Thanks all. Some very sensible advice.

I’m going to let it lie for a bit and see what happens.
Will pop back from time to time with progress updates if it does go forward.
snow conditions
Make everyone pay 100% upfront.

Before booking.

No excuses.
snow conditions
Quote:

one of us had a room with its own glacier seeping in from the balcony.

Laughing
snow report
I organised a trip of 11 of us to a 12 person self-catering chalet in Les Gets. 6 double bedrooms, all with their own bathroom (my mother came, and had her own bedroom), and a big kitchen with adequate "batterie de cuisine" to cook for 12. We rented 3 cars from the French side of Geneva. Each "room" was responsible for one complete evening meal - planning, shopping, cooking, washing up. The last night we went out for pizzas. I was the only person who knew all the participants, and I knew they'd pull their weight on "their" evening to cook. There were three non-skiers and one child having ski lessons (very good, with BASS). Most people had planned what to cook beforehand and taken some useful bits with them. None of us cooked elaborate or competitive meals - just good solid home cooking with loads of wine to go with it. Things like beef casserole. I'd be very dubious about self-catering with a load of "blokes from work" though.
latest report
Most definitely the EOSB. The larger units of accommodation have double/twin/single rooms & a kitchen capable of feeding the whole group when necessary. Also plenty of other people to ski with. Easy for you to organise - everyone books for themselves.
EASY!!! And you'll have the best time ever
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
I organised a good few group trips when I worked at our local dry slope. I have one piece of advice if you want to succeed:

Abandon any thoughts of democracy such as votes on destinations etc. You need to be an energetic autocrat. Here is the offer - take it or leave it.

One more thing. If it’s a big group, use a tour operator. When it all goes tits-up because you get a snowmageddon transfer day, it’s someone else’s problem.

Definitely this advice. I too used to organise group ski holidays when I worked at a ski centre.

You decide the resort, accommodation and dates and number of people. Lots of people will "be going" BUT some wont no matter what they say/promise. No one is going until they pay the deposit.

If the weather/accomodation/food/flight etc etc are the slightest bit problematic, its all your fault.

Always use a TO
ski holidays
Say that something has cropped up for the only dates you could go, but if people are still keen, they should get together and organise between themselves. I’ll bet the odds are 5:3 that it’ll never happen. And if it does, then late in the day say your schedules changed again and can you join their trip?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy