Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Title change: Avalanche Awareness - a snowHeads event? (was "Shocking!")

Are you interested in attending a special snowHeads "Henry's Avalanche Talk"?
Yes - at Milton Keynes
18%
 18%  [ 14 ]
Yes - at Castleford
16%
 16%  [ 13 ]
Yes - somewhere near Macclesfied
14%
 14%  [ 11 ]
Yes - at another location (please specify)
42%
 42%  [ 33 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Voted : 62
Total Votes : 77

Poster: A snowHead
Attended the in-depth instalment of Henry's Avalanche Talks this afternoon at MK Xscape (I attended the basic 2 days ago).

Frankly, I was shocked.

There were only 4 people in attendance and 3 were presenters.

So I had a personal tutorial on avalanche anatomy, the current theory and model of their mechanism, their mechanics, which and why certain slope/weather/snowpack/skiing/equipment factors tend to make the chances greater/lesser, more depth into and a system for how to avoid becoming a statistic, using and choosing transceivers and conducting searches. Cool

All this cost me a(nother) fiver! Shocked

All this on a background of many many more people going off-piste these days with many many less weeks of mountain experience. I should have thought the talks would be booked out, standing room only, each keener than the next to learn the inherent and ever-present dangers so that they become better able to gauge risk and prevent, well, dying. Confused

HAT is an institution. I first heard of it in the early 90's when Henry gave the talks at Dick's Tea Bar in Val d'Isere. I think it was a local instructor who told me about them but it was also mentioned in a newspaper article so the name stuck in my mind. He gave up doing them for a while and went back to the US and had a proper job! for a spell, but then couldn't stay away so started giving them more seriously as a going concern a few years ago. He's now got a team helping him do them and does corporate stuff too, as well as off-piste/avalanche/beeper courses/training. I think this is the first year he's run a series of talks for the public in various UK venues too.

I got the feeling the team were genuinely enthusiastic about the subject and passing on knowledge and experiences. They seemed keen to tell you all you could take in about avalanches, how to avoid them and how to survive them, as well as keen to make sure that you definitely definitely left with some appreciation and knowledge of the subject, which one day might save your life.

I'd certainly recommend any snowHead who wasn't already thoroughly versed in the subject attend a talk, whether or not primarily an off-piste skier.

snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 29-10-06 7:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sorry I missed it, but today has just been too busy to make the trip up to Milton Keynes. Maybe we could explore a snowHeads event(s) next autumn if Henry and his colleagues do more UK events?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, maybe a slide, the talk and a meal afterwards? It certainly sounds well worth going to.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately I couldn't make the Castleford dates.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, That is a bit disappointing for the organisers to have so few attending. I wonder if admin could organise a sH one with these guys, I'm sure it would be far batter attended. I would be genuinely interested in attending one if it was within 2 hours drive, and on a free day/evening Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno wrote:
slikedges, That is a bit disappointing for the organisers to have so few attending. I wonder if admin could organise a sH one with these guys, I'm sure it would be far batter attended. I would be genuinely interested in attending one if it was within 2 hours drive, and on a free day/evening Very Happy

I would be interested in this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can we organise a Snowheads one ? I wouldn't blink at a fiver for an avalanche awareness/understanding session. Er Admin !!

Or two. One for the Lardies up North and one for the rest . . .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On second thoughts, rather than poor old Admin having to sort everything out, I'll organise an up north one if there's the interest. Anyone interested ? (Nick C already included).

slikedges, could you change the title to something like 'Avalanche Awareness - Who is interested ?'
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nickski, start a new thread, sounds a good idea.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nickski, Chucky and me would be up for it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is MK really the best place to do it?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, I would have gone but am on nights.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Everyone, good idea!! They do corporate/private events so I'm sure it'd be possible to put something together - I've PM'ed admin! I'd certainly attend as a yearly ritual to keep the knowledge fresh in my mind. BTW I was going to do a poll, but I seem to have forgotten how! Puzzled rolling eyes Toofy Grin Anyone help? Very Happy

BTW I forgot to mention, it's on at MK again today: in-depth at 1500 and basic at 1800.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went to the basics talk up in Glagow and was the only one there. A really excellent presentation but could not go to the advanced talk because I was off on holiday. I don't know what it was like down in MK but the advertising for it was not great up here, the only reason I knew it was on was a link on snowHead 's. A pity because it was a really worthwhile event, I would have liked to ask a lot of q's but figured having had a personal talk the presenters needed their tea and I am sure that most of what I wanted to ask would have been presented in the further talk which I could not make..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, what manner of poll do you want? I believe the ability to create polls is limited to mods...
snow conditions
slikedges wrote:
BTW I was going to do a poll, but I seem to have forgotten how! Puzzled rolling eyes Toofy Grin Anyone help? Very Happy

Make a new post in snowEvents, us users can start polls in there, the option's at the bottom of the page.
latest report
Hoppo, one on what people's attitudes to avalanche education were and whether they'd be interested in a snowHeads event Little Angel

FenlandSkier, thanks Very Happy

BTW, got PMed back by admin: he is interested in looking into it! snowHead
snow conditions
slikedges, I've given you a poll...
latest report
I ticked Cas & Other - I would prefer North East!
snow report
Hoppo, ta very much! Very Happy
ski holidays
the last Cas date was bad fo me otherwise I would have gone, I've voted for Cas and Mac but Cas is my preference! My mates go off piste without enough attention to the conditions and it always worries me that one day we'll get into trouble, Silver Bullet just goes with out even looking where it might end up!
ski holidays
Ticked Macc. and other: would prefer Liverpool or Manchester.
ski holidays
Prefer a London event, but could also get to Milton Keynes if an event was held on the weekend.
snow report
Ticked other - London or Kent (Sevenoaks area) preferred. Happy to help / arrange a Kent event if enough interest and if it fits with Henry! Has anyone been in touch with him yet?
snow conditions
Another 'Other' for London
snow conditions
would tying one in with the Richmond Park bleep session be possible?

otherwise would be keen to attend a talk held in the south or maybe london
ski holidays
I would travel depending when and where
ski holidays
I think I would be interested, although it would depend on time/date/location. I've never been on an avalanche awareness course, because we never go off piste, and I don't have any desire to do so. However I am aware that staying on piste you aren't necessarily immune. We skied past a landslide on one occasion that had fallen onto the piste in Les Menuires, so these things can happen, and this could have turned into an avalanche had there actually been any snow at the time.

Would prefer Macclesfield, I guess, as this is closer to me than other venues.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
J2Dave,

Sevenoaks would suit me fine, Tonbridge / Tunbridge Wells even better.

Bod.
snow report
Yes, Kent is good snowHead
snow conditions
Have ticked MK and also "other". Happy to fit in with a London date
ski holidays
another vote for London, but would consider MK if at weekend only.
latest report
A vote here for London/SE - basically somewhere I can get to within 90 mins - how about Wimbledon Wink ?. MK only just about fits - provided the M25 is clear at the time.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 29-10-06 19:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Either London or Southampton for me.
snow report
Depending on date, time and location will travel anywhere within 2/3 hours. I'll got to anything with snowheads in the name Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I'm with FenlandSkier, as long as it's not to far and we can get an evening of enjoyment and a cheap hotel I'm not to bothered.
ski holidays
J2Dave, have tried the mobile on the website and his personal e-mail so far
snow report
Like Rob and Hibernia, another 'other' for London, and would seriously consider MK at a weekend.
snow conditions
Keen to attend, anywhere south of (and including) London I can make
latest report
Southampton would be best for me too. MK is a possibility, depending on time/day as I work weekends and some evenings, no doubt I'll be the difficult one. Confused rolling eyes

FenlandSkier, we had noticed wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy