Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

please help a lazy snowboarder

Poster: A snowHead
I've been doing my dissertation on snowboarding as it's something i've always enjoyed (and it meant i could justify wasting a lot of my loan going on as many trips this winter as possible) but i've left starting my research a bit late. I got off to a good start by going on a freestyle training trip to Tignes over the summer but this is about as much work as i've done, i use the term lightly as i did nothing towards my dissertation except get some contact details for people and have many drunken discussions.

My dissertation was originally going to be on snowboarders identity but after my trip i began to look more at skiers and perceived differences. I was wondering if people could fill out the questionnaire below as i'm going to use that to formulate interviews and to help me define what i'm looking at.

Questionnaire

I’m a third year student at UCL doing my dissertation. It began on the identity of snowboarders but has expanded to look at skiers as well as whether there is a gap between the disciplines as is traditionally believed.
Please fill this out in any way you wish. I want as long an answer as you wish. If someone wants to write an essay for each question then I will want to read those essays. Please don’t hold any views back. Feel free to leave fields blank. Some of the questions may seem strange but they will help me. If you wish to ridicule them then please do. All answers will be kept anonymous.

Discipline-

Sex-

Age-

How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding?

Who do you ski/snowboard with?

What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard?

How would you describe the way you dress?

Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure

How do you view the Winter Olympics?

What about the X-games?

Do you use the snow parks?
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste?

What do you think of winter reps?

Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier?

Do you think there is enough space on the mountains?

Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers?

Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities?

Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details.

Thank you ever so much
James Maughan Jones
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads, james snowHead

Discipline Skier - boarded once
Sex male
Age 36
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? On a whim when I was 30.
Who do you ski/snowboard with? Mrs Hoppo, miscellaneous snowHeads when available
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? snow! mountains, whizzing along effortlessly!
How would you describe the way you dress? I have one coat I use all year including ski-ing - gray trousers. Stylish hat wink
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure walking
How do you view the Winter Olympics? Using a television wink Normally peering past the athletes to see the scenery
What about the X-games? As above, but also laughing at slack trousers and incoherent slang.
Do you use the snow parks? Nope!
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? N/A
What do you think of winter reps? Que?
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? skier
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? yes
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? Less variation within groups.
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? Quite a range, obviously attractive to the yoof, but quite a few skiers giving it a go as a challenge.
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details.

Have a look at the skier and boarder profiles at the tops of the snowboarding and Apres Zones respectively. Might want to use code below to make responses pretty:

Code:

[b]Discipline[/b]
[b]Sex[/b]
[b]Age[/b]
[b]How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding?[/b]
[b]Who do you ski/snowboard with?[/b]
[b]What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard?[/b]
[b]How would you describe the way you dress?[/b]
[b]Other than winter sports what activities do you do?[/b] E.g. job/leisure
[b]How do you view the Winter Olympics?[/b]
[b]What about the X-games?[/b]
[b]Do you use the snow parks?[/b]
[b]If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste?[/b]
[b]What do you think of winter reps?[/b]
[b]Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier?[/b]
[b]Do you think there is enough space on the mountains?[/b]
[b]Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers?[/b]
[b]Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities?[/b]
[b]Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. [/b]
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Discipline Sb
Sex M
Age 30
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? About five years ago, on a board! First trip was to St Foy.
Who do you ski/snowboard with? SO mainly and whoever I meet when out and about on the piste or from the chalet if doing chalet hols.
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? Bored shitless with culture/sun hols so decided I wanted to go to the pole for an expedition. SO wasn't up for that so the compromise was snowboarding. I haven't looked back since!
How would you describe the way you dress? Non-branded and laidback.
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure ...Currently lecturing in London on a course that sounds similar to what you are studying wink
How do you view the Winter Olympics? Primarily the Web, although some TV.
What about the X-games? Web.
Do you use the snow parks? A little. I s'pose I've settled into a cruisy groove.
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? No.
What do you think of winter reps? Of varying qualities. Some can't do enough to help, others can't wait to get off to the bar and arrive in the morning with resultant hangover.
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? Sb
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? Depends where and when. I do value space to do my own thing and have my reflective 'moments'.
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? Yes, but this isn't really a bad thing. Posers - eat em for breakfast Twisted Evil
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? Not really. There are some folk who are out there doing their own thing on their own terms. Problem is, more often not, this is funded by mummy and daddy back home. I don't se much mavericknes in that. Too much posing unfortunately.
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. Yes, via Skype (you can record via Skype). PM me details. I'll probably be able to give you some dis' content pointers too Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Discipline Ski
Sex Male
Age 40
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? Been meaning to for years but playing competive rugby and skiing did not mix therefore first trip not until Christmas 2001
Who do you ski/snowboard with? Wife, friends and any other like minded people looking to hook up
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? Love being in the mountains and the thrill skiing gives me
How would you describe the way you dress? Functional
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure - Manager during the day, skiing, motorcycles, walking, bycycle rides and as much time out doors generally as possible in my time
How do you view the Winter Olympics? Keep track via the web etc. Don't really watch TV
What about the X-games? Don't really follow whats happening, if I spot something I will read it but only as a passing interest
Do you use the snow parks? No
What do you think of winter reps? I tend to travel independently so have no real experience so rather than quote anecdotes...
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? As someone who loves being in the mountains who just happens to use skis
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? The popular resorts can be busy but you can always find space, we all have a choice as where we go
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? As we would anywhere else in society, being on the slopes does not alter human behaviour
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? Not really, if there were any differences, I would say that the majority of boarders I have seen tend to be younger and maybe this is what is reflected in the culture, fashions etc.
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. Send me a PM
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
b]Discipline[/b] sbd
Sex m
Age 47 How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? 1990, after reading mag article
Who do you ski/snowboard with? Work, friends.
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? Fun
How would you describe the way you dress? Casual
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? Mountain biking
How do you view the Winter Olympics? TV
What about the X-games? Don't watch
Do you use the snow parks? no
What do you think of winter reps? OK
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? Sbder
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? not really
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? Not any more
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. No thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Discipline Skiing
Sex Female
Age 16
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? Began when I was roughly 11, was on holiday in the Auvergne in France and found a snowy mountain, saw the skiers, said to mum it looked fun can I have a go? First lesson entirely in French, couldn't understand a word but I was hooked. And I never looked back...
Who do you ski/snowboard with? By myself or with other snowHeads
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? Adrenaline, exhilaration, escape, love of the mountains, fun, friends (sH)
How would you describe the way you dress? Sometimes 'goth' sometimes 'skater' and sometimes 'mosher' however I don't like labels Mad If you mean when I'm skiing, just a red ski jacket and black ski trousers.
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure Ok... For a job I am a college student studying to be a computer technician and I also work for a guy in America doing graphics and website design. For leisure, I go dinghy sailing, rock climbing, play guitar and drums, love listening to rock music, writing stories and songs, surfing the internet and playing computer games.
How do you view the Winter Olympics? An important event for winter sports and a show of talent, and a celebration of winter sports.
What about the X-games? Radical, dude!!! I view these as a showcase of very talented extreme/alternative sports people who push the boundaries and do it very well.
Do you use the snow parks? I try, not too good but hoping to get lessons, I will use them though.
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? Yep, more variety
What do you think of winter reps? I wouldn't know really, never met any :S
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? Depends. I would say I am someone who skis, so yes in that respect I am a skier. But then, can we truly define things in a life of variety? What is a true 'skier?' How rad does it have to get before it is named something else (e.g. snowblading).
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? Depends on the conditions, amount of slopes, time of day, size of resort, accessibilty, ability level... it all depends!
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? Oh yeah, definitely. You get your snowboarders trying so hard to look 'cool' in their latest fashion brand baggy gear (not all boarders, no offence boarders), you get the rich ***** who ski because it's 'something rich people do' you get people who enjoy it as a pastime, people who make it their life... allsorts!
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? It's slightly present e.g. some American resorts banning snowboarding and some people still b*tch about boarders, but it's a lot better than it used to be.
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. Sure, PM me, it'd be hard though because I'm usually working or at college and have no transport!!

Sorry if my answers were too long Embarassed but at least you get the full thing! Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Discipline- ski

Sex- m

Age- 58

How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? age about 4 with parents

Who do you ski/snowboard with? 2 weeks with friends, one with Ski Club of GB

What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=18855 (2 page essay)

How would you describe the way you dress? conventional skier (black trousers, trousers, orange jacket) + backpack (shovel, probe, water bottle, spare clothing etc)

Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure (Artist) hill walking

How do you view the Winter Olympics? Sitting down, as often as I can find time

What about the X-games? If I notice it is on

If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? n/a I ski 95% off piste

What do you think of winter reps? Never ski with them (except SCGB ones come along for the ride). Otherwise arrange my own holidays. I suppose they are useful for some people.

Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? skier

Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? Where I ski we are usually the only ones in sight.

Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? I assume so.

Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? At one time boarding pobably allowed young people not to do what their parents liked doing. The same people tried to do the same in other parts of their lives. This probably defines a counterculture. Now much less so since adults do both.

Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. No thanks.

Thank you ever so much. No problem

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 10-10-06 11:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What bloody degree are you doing?!?!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Discipline- skiSex- M

Age- 49

How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? With mates, aged 25

Who do you ski/snowboard with? Family

What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? I enjoy the mountains, the challenge and the sensation

How would you describe the way you dress? Practically

Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure Walking, karate (novice!)

How do you view the Winter Olympics? On the TV and not with great interest.

What about the X-games? Not at all - contrived rubbish

What do you think of winter reps? The few I've come across have been, on the whole, pretty useless (with honourable exceptions).

Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? Skier

Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? Not always

Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? Yes

Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? To some extent

Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. PM me and I'll do my best

Thank you ever so much
James Maughan Jones[/quote]
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Third degree?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Discipline Ski (boarded once for half a day), tried blades once Embarassed
Sex M
Age 31
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? With school, aged 8
Who do you ski/snowboard with? Mates
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? Mountains, unchartered (for me) territory, gettting better (?), hanging out with people I like, apres (!), floating through powder, falling in powder, plucking up the courage to get some air ...
How would you describe the way you dress? Errr. Modern? My trousers don't hang half way down my backside, if that's what you mean, but I do wear comfortable snow pants, fleece, outer, helmet, goggles
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure I run a recruitment company. I cycle, walk, scramble (a bit), cook, drink (beer and wine)
How do you view the Winter Olympics? Sadly drug-tainted and I'm more interested in the newer disciplines. Where's the ski half-pipe, for instance?
What about the X-games? Not really on my radar (too much of an old git)
Do you use the snow parks? rarely (too scared!)
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? No.
What do you think of winter reps? They're OK. Mostly just trying to do a job, although I usually travel under my own steam these days.
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? Skier
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? Yes
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? I guess. Generally, the more challenging the terrain, the fewer families there are. That said, you can get posers who can't handle the terrain which can be either funny or irritating, depending on the circumstances. Oh, and snowboarders, please stop sitting just below lips / humps!
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? Less so with the advent of twins and freestyle. If anything, newschool skiing is probably now more 'counter culture' while snowboarding has become mainstream.
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. Sure, but only if we can have a beer in the Jeremy Bentham's Head. You can pm me on here or mail zzammo@hotmail.com
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Discipline Ski (and surfboard)
Sex M
Age 45
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? skiing XC with friends in 1980s, downhill in my 40s, never done snowboarding
Who do you ski/snowboard with? preferably friends, family if necessary
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? a way to survive the European winter
How would you describe the way you dress? Oxfam
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure gardener, farmwork, surfing
How do you view the Winter Olympics? from as far away as possible
What about the X-games? never heard of them
Do you use the snow parks? yes
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? depends, best thrills so far have been on piste (going a long way in a short time is my favourite)
What do you think of winter reps? not sure what you mean by this
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? no, not really
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? yes, loads of poseurs
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? I see myself as counter cultural and a skier, loads of mainstreamers on snowboards
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. yeah sure - use the pm system
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee wrote:

I'm in my third year at UCL doing Anthropology and Geography, it's a brilliant degree

And sorry about the terrible introduction, i was having a panic when i wrote it

James
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Discipline Skier and former boarder
Sex M
Age 39
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? snowboarding 1996; skiing 2004
Who do you ski/snowboard with? wife and friends
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? its one of very few hobbies i have; adrenalin; the whole routine
How would you describe the way you dress? Scruffy chic!
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? work; wrestle children; mountain bike; gym; surf
How do you view the Winter Olympics? Saw only 5%. Cant relate to things I cant imagine doing eg downhill on ice
What about the X-games? Too American, but love Extreme Channel
Do you use the snow parks? no, don't take my car with me wink
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? No
What do you think of winter reps? not sure what you mean by this
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? Very early intermediate skier, but former good boarder
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? There are def different groups
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Ish
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. yeah sure - use the pm system
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Discipline Ski
Sex Male
Age 25
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? I think it was about 1992
Who do you ski/snowboard with? Friends from home and whoever else i meet on the slopes
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? The buzz, the fresh air, being in the mountains, the list is endless
How would you describe the way you dress? At work very smart (nice suits, shirt, tie, etc), at home jeans and beat up converse, on the slopes, black trousers, whatever top i can find and always a fleece head band!!!!!
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure Work in recruitment, play alot of football and cricket and spend my evenings in bars listening to as much live music as i can find
How do you view the Winter Olympics? I try to watch them a bit but don't tend to see a whole of them
What about the X-games? I watch the BMX, but not the winter stuff
Do you use the snow parks? Nope
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? N/a
What do you think of winter reps? Very rarely used
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? Not really, just a guys who loves the snow
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? If you stay on the popular pistes then no, if you are prepared to look then there is plenty of room away from the corwds
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? Yes, different attitudes and ways of doing things. Not a bad thing though, it would be boring if everyone looked and behaved the same.
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? If anything boarding has moved more main stream, maybe with skiing going slighty in the opposite direction.
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. PM me and i will happily help.
latest report
Discipline Boarder . . . ski a bit
Sex too old to be bothered . . . but male
Age you need to ask? but older than Goldsmith and he grew up with leather ski boots and knitted underwear
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? Spawn o'Masque wanted a free holiday in '96
Who do you ski/snowboard with? anyone who can keep up
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? it's better than sex and half as painful . . . seriously, it's a rush that doesn't get stale
How would you describe the way you dress? cheaply
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure n/a
How do you view the Winter Olympics? occasionally worth watching but partisan coverage and commentary was a real turn off and the lack of coverage for the Paralympics was an insult to human endeavour
What about the X-games? Great if you can be there
Do you use the snow parks? I'm not THAT stupid
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? n/a
What do you think of winter reps? they have job to do . . . shame I couldn't give a s**t about that
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? weather forecast and snow conditions makes that decision
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? it really depends on what you want to do
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? yes, but at the moment it's not an issue that affects anyone's enjoyment
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? there are w*nkers in every culture that try to pretend they're something special . . . that's their insecurity, not mine
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. yep, PM me (at your risk Twisted Evil )
snow conditions
DisciplineSkiier
SexMale
Age21
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding?14, trip to Canada with parents
Who do you ski/snowboard with? Depends who im on holiday with, on the uni trips its tended to be the otheres in my room. or others met on the bus/bar/race team.
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard?proberbly because i enjoy it.
How would you describe the way you dress?couldnt describe it really.
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? leisure
How do you view the Winter Olympics? watched most of the ski racing, and some of the other stuff. found the coverage by the bbc pritty crap as with the hockey and some of the boarding I could only watch it on digital.
What about the X-games?Will watch it if its on
Do you use the snow parks?once or twice, generally end up hurting myself! Thinking about learning properly on next years summer session.
What do you think of winter reps? Depends on the rep and on the trip, had some pritty crap reps in the past who have been all right because they are a good laugh (mostly wasteland reps at BUSC) and have had some reps that are suposidly good at their jobs that have just pi(sed me off (Outgoing!)
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier?As a skiier
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains?More space would allways be nice!
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers?Yes, for the most part no problem. Although little jumped up french kids can get annoying when hundreds of the bugs swawm past you in lift ques!
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities?Yes to some extent, but there are just as many 'mainstream' snowboarders. Just the same as there is a similar reptutation between some freestyle skiiers.
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. sure, pm/email etc is fine
ski holidays
zcsaa44,

Discipline- Ski's only, none of that tea-tray stuff Wink

Sex- Male

Age- 31

How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? March 03, last chance of a holiday of any sort for a while

Who do you ski/snowboard with? Brothers, friends, and a gang of internet weirdo's

What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? Stress relief from work, the mountains, the atmosphere, the craic

How would you describe the way you dress? casual (footy shirts and jeans etc), skiing black pants blue jacket

Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure Computers, cycling, watching football, golf

How do you view the Winter Olympics? on a telly

What about the X-games? "sports" for overgrown children and "rad dudes".

Do you use the snow parks? Not really, only been on one once
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? No, give me the Piste anyday

What do you think of winter reps? ???

Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? SKIER

Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? Depends on where you are and when. Most french resorts deffo not

Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? yup, you get your hardcore skiers, your families, "recreational skiers", one week a year skiers etc

Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. Possibly, PM me

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 12-10-06 9:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Discipline Boarder but done a couple of weeks skiing and keen to do more

Sex Male

Age Mid Thirties

How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? Mid twenties. A bunch of uni mates got a trip together and seemed like it would be a bit of a giggle

Who do you ski/snowboard with? whichever group of mates I've travelled with -tends to be the ones not busy having bambinos

What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? fresh air, mountains, views, the speed, the challenge, the apres

How would you describe the way you dress? badly

Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure Work for a living doing IT stuff. In spare time sail competitively and windsurf badly

How do you view the Winter Olympics? Sitting on my sofa. Historic cllips on t'internet. Google image searches for Kari Traa

What about the X-games? what?

Do you use the snow parks? ocassionally

If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? no, prefer off-piste then piste then parks

What do you think of winter reps? useless

Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? boarder

Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? generally yes but not at half-term. some resorts neeed to make sure not overdeveloping for the size of the moutain.

Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? yes.

Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? Not really the kids and the 'grungy' element wont bee seen dead on skis but once you get past 30 who cares?

Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. yes, pm me
latest report
Discipline Skier
Sex F
Age 46
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? 1999 with friends and family in Austria
Who do you ski/snowboard with? Friends and/or Family
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? Adrenalin, freedom and beauty of the mountains
How would you describe the way you dress? Casual, never smart unless I absolutely have to. On the mountains: warm and comfy - not designer!
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure Gymnastics Instructor. Walking my dog and occasionally jogging etc
How do you view the Winter Olympics? I enjoy watching any of the skiing and snowbaording events
What about the X-games? n/a
Do you use the snow parks? No I like my limbs in one piece!
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? n/a
What do you think of winter reps? The ones I have met have been great!
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? skier, but would love to be able to snowboard too
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? not always but I try and avoid the busy spots
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? Yes, but as long as everyone respects each other, I see this as a good.
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? Not so much anymore.
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. Yes quite happy by PM please Very Happy
ski holidays
Discipline Skier
Sex Male
Age 26
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? A mate moved to Switzerland and persuaded us to go out to try skiing in March 2004.
Who do you ski/snowboard with? Mates usually
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? Adrenalin, scenery, lifestyle/experience
How would you describe the way you dress? Technical/branded (sucker Wink )
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? Engineering Consultant, sailing, cycling, fishing
How do you view the Winter Olympics? Watch most of the ski racing and the snowboard halfpipe/boardercross
What about the X-games? If it was on terrestial, I'd watch it
Do you use the snow parks? Not yet...
If so do you prefer these to piste and off piste? ...
What do you think of winter reps? Never used a travel company
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? A skier but some of our regulars are boarders so we're not cliquey
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? We choose the quieter bits so yes...
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? Yes
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? Only as much as freestyle skiing. Not much of a difference in my experience. Couldn't comment on 5 - 10 years ago
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. PM and I'll see what mood I'm in Toofy Grin
snow report
Discipline- snowboarder, recently converted. Used to be a skiier.

Sex- Female

Age- 25

How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? I was about 14, and my secondary school had organised a trip skiing to Austria, so I pestered and pestered my parents into letting me go, and behold they did!

Who do you ski/snowboard with? My partner, sometimes with friends too.

What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? I love it! It is such an amazing feeling to fly down the piste, to the most amazing backdrop, the wind on your face, it is the best rush ever! So peaceful too, its like your the only person out there.

How would you describe the way you dress? Erm, cool, baggy and funky!

Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure Kickboxing, walking, swimming, reading, films, music.

How do you view the Winter Olympics? Erm, it's ok. Can get a bit boring. but I like to see the places, and some of the events.

What about the X-games? They are wicked! Much more modern and easier watching, without the boring bits of the olympics. I mean who really wants to watch curling(no offence to those that do!)? Asside from the fact that it is the only event that britain is good at! Laughing

Do you use the snow parks? Not really at the moment...Not quite good enough on a board. But hopefully when I get better I will.

What do you think of winter reps? My experience of them has been pretty good. I've had no problems. But never really used them.

Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? Yeah, I see myself as a snowboarder.

Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? I don't go to the really crowded resorts, and don't go in peak times, so I've never seen this as a problem.

Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? Yeah deffinately.

Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? There are deffinately still seperate identities. Although recently more skiiers have adopted the styles brought in by snowboarders. You only have to look through a ski/snowboard catalogue to see the differences in styles that still exist, from the snug form fitting smarter looking styles of the skiwear section, to the funkier baggy more street-wear looking styles of the likes of Burton and Bonfire. To me, the snowboard wear is something you can go straight from the piste to the bar.

Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. Would rather not. Would be happy to continue via email or something similar though.
snow report
Discipline Ski
Sex Male
Age 46
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? Ski - 1973, tried boarding, got tired of having a wet ar*e and having to say 'yo bro!, radical.....'
Who do you ski/snowboard with? Friends, ski guide
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? relaxation, different wild environment from an office job.
How would you describe the way you dress? conservative, ie no wolly hat indoors orat meal timesetc.
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? IT consultant \ hill walking \ Skydiving beer drinking....
How do you view the Winter Olympics? Specifiaclly the ski-ing element also now boarding.
What about the X-games? neither the summerX nor winterX games ever interested me. It alway seemed amateurish.
Do you use the snow parks? Only if encountered on a route, wouldn't hunt one down. Half pipes and jumps, nothing else
What do you think of winter reps? They have a job to do, providing they get on with it and stay out of my way I'll have no issues.
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? Surely answered in Q Discipline? Skier
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? Yes there is. Its the people that are too crowded. In recent year too much inappropriate out of control speed in the main pistes. Usuall brough out by a lack of consideration and basic skills. (Not confined to boarders)
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? Clearly tuition is streamed but regularly see mixed groups.
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? The people that do it think there are, at first ithere was this sub culture, (free choice, radical image) , similar to surfing. That's well gone, it's now more gucci equipment, offset by the greasy hair and Asda woolly hats!
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. Yes, PM me.
snow report
Discipline Ski - never on board
Sex - male
Age - 37
How and when did you begin skiing/snowboarding? - Started naturally at the age of three or under. As soon as I could walk in the winter snow...
Who do you ski/snowboard with? - Mostly alone
What motivates you to Ski/Snowboard? - The feel of speed, freedom and snow
How would you describe the way you dress? - technical, understated, branded
Other than winter sports what activities do you do? E.g. job/leisure - Managing director (communications), water sports, music, wines, cars, modern design
How do you view the Winter Olympics? - I watch when I can
What about the X-games? - not interested
Do you use the snow parks? - not interested
What do you think of winter reps? - I've no relation with them at all
Do you see yourself as a snowboarder/skier? - I am a skier and I cannot stand boarders for some reason
Do you think there is enough space on the mountains? - mostly yes, there's no reason to stay on pistes when the whole mountain is available
Do you think there are differences on the slopes within groups? E.g. families, less dedicated people, posers? - Definitely. families is not bad per se, posers are ok as long as they don't clog the system. Snowboarders are the ones I mostly have an issue with. There is little grace, little style and little anything in what they do, and most of the times, particularly when they are early in their careers, they are unbelievably dangerous - even more so than beginner skiers.
Snowboarding has a counter culture reputation; do you think this is true and still present? Are there separate identities? - To me they boarders represent break in tradition of people who understand and respect mountain. They changed the way skiing was considered to be part of the nature, they made mountain to be a street, city, the mountain to bend into what they considered to be cool. Now, I may be prejudiced, but this is how I see it. Their esthetics generally are screwed, although their lines in off-piste are pleasing. That is the only plus I am willing to give. No matter what they wear, it looks sloppy and bad. The surfers on the other hand - there we talk style. One just cannot move ocean to mountains (or even to asfalt streets as skaters would like to).
Would you be happy to be asked further questions in a recorded interview with me at a later date? If so can you please provide some sort of contact details. - If you want, just pm.
ski holidays
I just wanted to thank everyone who filled in the questionaire for me. If anyone looked at it and decided not to bother filling it in but wouldn't mind letting me conduct an hour long recorded interview then please PM me and we'll set something up.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy