Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre-release issues with some older Atomic bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm wondering if anyone else had pre-release issues with Atomic Centro 412 bindings. These are probably from the 2002-ish era so they're not under warranty, but I've read some stuff about weak heel pieces and am just wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience with these bindings.

I took one hell of a header on a pre-release on these things. Tough way to learn about a weak heel spring if that's the issue!

Thanks a lot, friends.

J-ski
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome J-ski, Is the forward toe release pressure set correctly?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
J-ski, Welcome to snowHead 's
I cant awnser your question but I'm sure somebody else will be able to
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't have that much confidence in my device bindings!! Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, gsb. Thank you.

Yes, the forward toe release pressure was correctly set. I'm really not sure why the pre-release, but after reading online about a "bad batch" of Atomic bindings from the 2002 (or so) era, I'm started to feel like it's a faulty heel piece, (though I must say a tech told me the heel piece tests out okay.)

Shouldn't have pre-released though. No way.

Thanks again.

J-ski
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
J-ski, Welcome to snowHeads.

I was interested in buying some older Atomic bindings a few months ago & spoke to the Atomic UK rep about this. It seems that there were a few heel piece component failures on some circa '00-'02 bindings however if your bindings test fine now then they haven't failed.

Customer Service from Atomic UK is excellent & I would presume that their USA operation is the same so I suggest that you go to an authorised dealer & ask them to be returned to Atomic for testing - I'm sure that if there's a fault that Atomic will see you right, even though they are way out of warranty.

I agree with the comments on Epic that a Type II DIN setting seems a bit light on SX11's given your stated ability & experience.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, spyderjon. I appreciate your response.

A quick follow-up question, if I may:

When you say that if my bindings test fine now, then they haven't failed...

Is it possible that despite testing as not having failed, I may still have a binding from that so-called "bad batch" with a weakness? Just trying to ferret out whether or not these could be on their way to failing, thus the pre-releasing.

I did have them tested by an authorized Atomic dealer (certified Atomic tech) and he said they tested okay. Heel spring/heel piece not broken, is what I took that to mean.

Yet, I remain shy about skiing on these skis, because someone in another forum suggested that despite testing fine now, they could still have a weakness/fault and be from that "bad batch", having just not truly failed as yet.

Do you know if this is true?

Thanks again, spyder...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
J-ski, The line I got from the Atomic UK rep (although he didn't work for them at the time) was that a very few heel pieces (way less than 1%) had literally broken to due a component failure. Once broken they would no longer retain the boot at all, let alone pass a function check. All failures had apparently happened early on in the bindings life.

You haven't said if your bindings are new/secondhand/how many days use etc?

It is possible that you have a binding from the bad batch but the more you've skied them without incident then the less likely it is that there's an inherent problem.

If you're really concerned you have to spring for some Neox 412's which are superb bindings. You can get 04/05 model heavier model (I've got three pairs of them) cheap on Ebay USA.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I seem to remember skiing in Cham, with a mate who had problems around the same ere, it appeared to be to do with any direct impact {along the ski in direction}near the tip of the ski he when over a few times on one really nice power run all because his ski hit something in the snow and deflected slightly...very slight deflection equalled very fast ejection rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, right. Pretty much the same here.

Wonder if your mate was using Atomic bindings.

Thanks, guys.

Oh...spyder...the bindings I'm referring to are demo bindings, so...used.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
J-ski, Mmm, not sure whether demo bindings suffered from the same problem or not. If you're really concerned I'd flip'em for new'uns.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
J-ski, yes he was
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ESS ESS ESS ESS...................
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight, let me guess:

What you're saying is..................

Atomic bindings of that era are actually ESS bindings! Razz

How'my doin' so far? snowHead

J~
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Laughing

I also found that on that particular binding, the 3 position options could also magically move by themselves, so one ski would be on the most forward position, and the other ski would be on the most rearward position!
latest report
HUH?

Not while you were skiing?????

Which "particular bindings"?

The Centro 412?
snow report
Oh yes, while skiing. the 412, 612 etc.
snow conditions
Oh, my God...that's awful.

Did you get dumped? Or worse, injured?

They should have recalled that bad bunch of bindings. Do the right thing, for God's sake. Someone could get killed on a pre-release or a "magical movement" of the three position options!

Do you remember roughly when this was? These bindings I have here are from somewhere around 2000-2002 I think.
snow conditions
J-ski, I been following your thread on this subject on Epic as well. Are you trying to collect anadotal evidence for a law suit against Atomic or something?

You've got low end way out of warranty demo bindings that have been tested ok & you may possibly be using them on too low a setting. If you're not happy with them then spring for new 'uns.
snow report
No, I am simply trying to see how pervasive an issue this was/is before asking them for a warranty.

The bindings should be off the market. Some are still being sold as new, spyderjon...by a wholesaler selling on Ebay which gets its goods directly from Atomic. That just isn't right if they are known to be defective.

If I should have known about this matter, then fine...I'm responsible. I shouldn't have bought them. But I had not seen information out there about this issue before now. Which of course is my fault for not looking into it sooner.

Why do people get so riled up about someone asking questions out on these forums? That's one of the reasons they exist, after all. To connect skiers to other skiers.

What's the big deal?

People don't have to read the posts if they are tired of hearing about it.
snow report
And by the way, spyderjon...if those bindings are so low end, what are they doing on a pair of SX11's...it's not a bad cross ski and fast-ish, would you agree? No place for a crappy binding.
ski holidays
J-ski wrote:
........ Some are still being sold as new, spyderjon...by a wholesaler selling on Ebay which gets its goods directly from Atomic. That just isn't right if they are known to be defective.......

I'm pretty sure that a manufacturer like Atomic isn't going to sell defective products. Like any manufacturer, if they'd identified a batch problem & corrected it then there's no reason for them not to continue selling them.
latest report
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that a manufacturer like Atomic is going to sell defective products.

With all due respect, I don't understand your point.
snow report
J-ski wrote:
And by the way, spyderjon...if those bindings are so low end, what are they doing on a pair of SX11's...it's not a bad cross ski and fast-ish, would you agree? No place for a crappy binding.

It's a great ski but that binding is so that people could easily demo the ski. Atomic don't offer the demo binding when you then purchase the ski.
snow conditions
J-ski wrote:
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that a manufacturer like Atomic is going to sell defective products.

With all due respect, I don't understand your point.

Neither do I wink. I've corrected my typo Embarassed
ski holidays
Quote:

Atomic don't offer the demo binding when you then purchase the ski.

Ooooooooooooooooooh, yes they do!

And may I add that they shouldn't allow a crappy demo binding to exist on a decent cross ski even if it's a demo! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
In the UK that ski comes as a 'system' with the 412 retail binding & a buyer could upgrade to a 614 if they required the higher settings.

I said that the binding was a low-end binding not crappy. It's low end because of the less expensive materials used in manufacture compared to the Xentrix/CR/Race bindings at the time. They still however had to meet all the appropriate standards etc.

You've had the bindings checked & they're ok so if you think they're crappy then change them or at least contact Atomic with your concerns.

If I was skiing on a pair of SX11 I'd personally want a higher quality binding on them.
latest report
I hear you, spyderjon.

Thank you for your thoughts.

J-ski
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy