Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing near venice in early April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Family and I are beginner skiers and looking for recommendations for ski resorts near Venice when we are there the first week of April. Understand we would want higher altitudes but we are also beginners. Would love recommendations...

thanks Savage
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Italy that late? I can only think of Cervinia, but Milan and Turin are much closer.
Or cross into Austria for Obergurgl, but again there are better(closer) airports
FWIW, beginners need decent snow conditions among many other things.
Which can usually be achieved in early April around 2000 m altitude IMO.
Can you switch to other airports, like Geneva, Zurich, Lyon or Munich?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went to Cortina d'Ampezzo from Venice a few years ago. It was late season so skiing decent snow one day then walking round Venice in a t-shirt the next. It was a memorable trip. Cortina is lovely, although not the most convenient for lifts - depending on where you stay you might need to catch a ski bus to the first lift.

The lifts should still be open in early April but what the conditions will be like is anyone's guess.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @savagebeast, Welcome to Snowheads.
You may be lucky and have good enough conditions in the Dolimiti otherwise, you'll have to go a bit further through the Brenner to Stubai.
The glacier at the end of the Stubaital is a great place for beginners to learn to ski.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The dolomites in general are not a very high mountain range. Which means you dont have a lot of options to go higher and seek out better snow if the conditions are bad.

The italians are masters of snow making so the pistes early morning will probably still be good, and if you move slope direction during the day (north facing in the afternoon) you should be good.

Most ski areas stay open until the 2nd week of april.

Closest from venice are civetta (alleghe) and cortina. Closest really beginner friendly are alpe lusia and san pellegrino, but both suffer from south facing beginner slopes. (So depending on conditions those pistes mihht get chopped up)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all... keep the counsel coming. Any recommendations of places to stay given the advise?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The nearest reasonably high Italian resort must be Passo Tonale (1880m), though I’m not sure whether it is regularly open well into April, maybe the Presena glacier would be open though. The glacier wouldn’t be particularly good for beginners but in April beggars can’t be choosers! I can recommend a few hotels in Tonale if you decide to go there.

Another resort I’ve driven to from Venice (well Pordenone to be exact) is Nassfeld on the Austrian border just north of Pontebba.

Other than the Dolomites the only other places I can think of not too far from Venice are Madonna di Campilio, Bormio and Livigno. Livigno is high (1800m) but I don’t think it has a particularly late skiing season.

Unfortunately it will probably be best to wait until the last minute to decide where to go depending on conditions. Even if there isn’t much snow at least if you are around the area of the Dolomites you will have some amazing scenery!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One should check closing dates for Italian resorts.
Alleghe, for instance, closes theoretically on April 1.
Even for those resorts at relatively low altitude who might still be open on April 1 most slopes, restaurants etc. might be closing already
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cortina.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
drporat wrote:
One should check closing dates for Italian resorts.
Alleghe, for instance, closes theoretically on April 1.
Even for those resorts at relatively low altitude who might still be open on April 1 most slopes, restaurants etc. might be closing already

You are right, my appologies. Normally civetta closes after easter which is very early this year. Last year they closed later. (Easter being later). So yes check closing times.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We did the Dollies on April one year, all open but sjing on slush apart from the top crossover above Arabba.
It's a bit risk tbf
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy