Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts close to Denver?

Poster: A snowHead
Which resort should 2 beginer/intermediates (only 3 weeks experience each) go to that is close to Denver, Colarado. for a long week in February?

All experienced recommendations welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bryan, Nearly all the big resorts and most of the little ones are very close to Denver City It's easier to list the ones that are the furthest away:

Telluride
Silverton (very expert, guided skiing ONLY)
Durango
Hesperus
Wolf Creek
Cuchara
Powderhorn
Sunlight
Monarch

None of them are 'that' bad a transfer, particularly if you've enjoyed the Bergamo-Livigno bus.

Go with the TO that gives you the best deal for flight comfort (check the seat pitch) accommodation and ski-school. I'm pretty sure no-one will tell you any of the resorts are bad or poor value.

Some of the US regular visitors will be along soon with personal takes on individual resorts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would go for Winterpark (60 miles), Breckenridge (70 miles) or Beaver Creek (110 miles).

Winterpark is cheapest and has great terrain for all levels - The city is less interesting

Breckenridge has great terrain and a Great City

Beaver Creek has easy terrain, but is part of the Vail areas, that has more to offer. Vial is a nice allbeit a bit stuck up city.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd suggest posting your question on epicski.com, kind of the US equivalent of Snowheads and folks there can answer your questions better than I. None of the resorts are really close to the Denver airport. Winter Park, Copper, Vail, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek (might be leaving something out) are relatively close to one another. Breckenridge or Vail might your best all around bets. I'd also suggest taking a look at Aspen. There are 4 mountains (Aspen, Aspen Highlands, Snowmass, and Buttermilk) all on the same pass and served by bus. Buttermilk may have the best beginner/low intermediate terrain anywhere and Snowmass has tons of intermediate terrain. Aspen is further from Denver and is expensive.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the steers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, what the heck or better yet where the heck is hesperus?

you have also managed to compile a list that;

1) includes a half dozen small obscure resorts farthest from denver
2) excludes six major resorts closer to denver.

ahhhh the internet
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rusty Guy, Madeye-Smiley read my post, I said it was easier to list the ones furthest from Denver . . . that's the list wink

Hesperus is about 10 miles SouthWest of Durango and has just the one lift. (I've been adding every ski mountain I can find into a Google Earth data file . . . it's become 'quite' large and there a a lot of little tiny resorts scattered over the globe)

37.31210875358016</latitude> -108.078002878024</longitude> is the lift base as far as I know, it's all to be double checked yet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to this: http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/history/open/hesperus.html , Hesperus is still open. I don't know how up-to-date that info is.
That same site says that Cuchara is currently closed though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, i read your post, and again.........why not answer the question?

if you asked 100 folks i think you might well get 100 answers.

disclaimer: i work as a full time instructor at winter park.

all the resorts withen a four hour drive of denver have advantages and disadvantages. i'll name a few and list what i believe is their strength.

vail: expansive terrain
breck: great groomers/intermediate terrain
copper: variety
winter park: snow
steamboat: town

flip a coin. as the teens around here say......"it's all good".
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bryan, we went to Winter Park this year, first time skiing in the US and loved every inch of it (not that we managed to ski every inch in two weeks that is).

With winter park being relatively close to many other resorts we also managed to ski in a few others, copper and breck etc. so if you hire a car, which i def recommend, there is a massive choice open to you. Our ski independance rep sarah (very nice) got us discounted lift tickets to just about everywhere.

We also tried to get to Steamboat but left it too late in the trip and the weather closed in dumping lots of snow.

People say there isnt much to do down town WP but we always found something there are plenty of local bars and eating places, I would worry at all about that.

We chose to have the weekends off and went sight seeing going to the Arapaho nat. forest, hot sulphur springs and spent one day on snow mobiling up to the continental divide, awsome but be prepared to sign your whole life away with the rental agreements.

The American people are great and the instructors top class, some we met where from the UK and living the life of riley!

We are just contemplating our next ski trip and even though thinking about Banf/Lake louise as we want to emmigrate there keep coming back to the same decision..... winter park.

PS Rusty is a top bloke, I only hope I am as fit and agile at his age, I think he's about 90 but looks and acts 21 ! Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bryan wrote:
Thanks for the steers.

Talking of which , the steaks are pretty good too wink , but beware of the Prairie Oysters Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
that's 51 going on 90.

i defy any 21 year old to keep up on skis! actually my 13 tear old told me i'm starting to ski like her grandfather. i told her to shut up until the day i can't keep up.

snow forecast for the next five days in winter park from 9,000 feet up. bodes well for the winter. come to WP and the first dozen drinks are on me!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I also agree about Winter Park. Went there back in February. Great mountain (especially Mary Jane if you like bumps). Also looked good for beginners / early intermediates on the Winter Park mountain. I'd highly recommend it. Downtown isn't big, but has character and enough bars and restaurants to keep you happy.

The snow is - in a word - incredible.

I'd also recommend Rusty Guy for a lesson. (And he does get the beers in.)

We've got a US trip penned in for March. Should really go somewhere different (Breck looks tempting), but nothing looks any better than WP (apart from maybe Aspen or Vail but they're not cheap).

By the way, did I mention the snow?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
conor......come home

don't go to scum-it county. as much as you like bumps you won't like breck. i promise. obscene crowds and too much grooming. in addition, a new lift has gone in on the back side of parsenn's bowl, back into vasquez creek drainage and it will simply be superb. i'm not sure i ever took you two back there. it's fairly remote. i can't wait.

we'll take a day trip on my day off and run up to steamboat for the day. we'll go to their hotsprings after skiing.

i have to tell all a little tale. i took conor and his new bride to a local hot springs on a rather brisk eve. it was minus five on our scale. we began to exit the lockers and he said to me......"we're not going outside are we?" he was a real trooper.

we are slated to get substantial snows for the next five days. early season looks really good.

do you think i have a drinking problem? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have been to Breckenridge and liked it

Been to Steamboat three times and loved it. Is a longer transfer from Denver though, best part of 4 hours. If going there consider the short flight there instead. Is a good ski area for intermediates up to very good. I'm no expert skier bit from what I saw/heard there wasn't a lot there, at least within ski area.

Due to longer transfer it is less frequented by Brits and I think slightly cheaper.

Down side is that it is split between the new town at base of ski area and old town. If you're just there for skiing, go for ski area, if yo don't mind a short free bus each day old town has the best bars and restaurants
snow report
Been to:
Beaver Creek
Breck
Copper
Keystone
Vail
Winter Park

Of those, Winter Park was when I was a worse intermediate than I am now. It's the closest to Denver, and has great options for learning and improving. Also, midweek it is quiet. Next I'd say Vail which has plenty of terrain, but is a lot further away.
snow conditions
"do you think i have a drinking problem?"

Rusty Guy, at that altitude you could probably out-drink anyone over here. I was really struggling after 4 pints over there.

I'd personally love to come back to Winter Park, or maybe hire a car, base ourselves in WP but make a few day trips.

I still love the groomers, but wouldn't like to be in a resort that grooms everything. What a waste! After seeing the light in our day's lesson, I can't enough of ungroomed.
ski holidays
conor wrote:
"do you think i have a drinking problem?"

Rusty Guy, at that altitude you could probably out-drink anyone over here. I was really struggling after 4 pints over there.

I'd personally love to come back to Winter Park, or maybe hire a car, base ourselves in WP but make a few day trips.

I still love the groomers, but wouldn't like to be in a resort that grooms everything. What a waste! After seeing the light in our day's lesson, I can't enough of ungroomed.

4 pints is a good warm-up prior to finding a place to hang your jacket!
ski holidays
What quotes are you getting for WP or similar area and who with ??

Connor we hired a jeep thingie and did a few other resorts, breck and copper are easy reach for a days skiing.

Rusty, have they finished those new condo blocks on the other side of the main road where the large car parks are yet ??
snow report
Royal wrote:
What quotes are you getting for WP or similar area and who with ??

Connor we hired a jeep thingie and did a few other resorts, breck and copper are easy reach for a days skiing.

Rusty, have they finished those new condo blocks on the other side of the main road where the large car parks are yet ??

breck and copper are a two hour drive. i like copper and have little use for breck. what kind of prices are you folks facing? i have a client who rents a very nice place in fraser and it's dirt cheap. send me a pm and i'll get the owners name. i suspect between the price of this place and my ability to obtain discounted lift tickets i could get you guys over here cheaply
ski holidays
I think there are some good reviews of Colorado resorts at
http://www.3riders.com/

I really liked Breckenridge - it has a good variety of terrain. My sister skied in Copper with her kids - a very mixed ability group and they all really enjoyed it.

Don't forget you can buy cheaper lift tickets at the ski shops out of town on the highways - the savings are considerable so it's worth asking around.
snow report
For anyone who cares these are Ski magazine's top 10 (poresumeably N American) resorts this year;

"According to a press release from the Boulder, Colo.-based magazine, the resorts are ranked on: "overall satisfaction, access, après ski, dining, family programs, grooming, lifts, lodging, off-hill activities, on-mountain food, scenery, service, snow, terrain/challenge, terrain/variety, terrain parks, value and weather by Ski Magazine subscribers who have skied the resorts for the past two seasons, skiing an average of 23 days a year."

THE TOP 10 1. Vail, Colo. 2. Deer Valley, Utah 3. Snowmass, Colo. 4. Whistler Blackcomb, British Columbia 5. Park City, Utah 6. Breckenridge, Colo. 7. Aspen, Colo. 8. Beaver Creek, Colo. 9. Steamboat Springs, Colo. 10. Sun Valley, Idaho
"

Says more about readers of Ski magazine than absolute quality I'd say - no place for Mammoth, Squaw Valley etc
latest report
fatbob, I notice a lot of those on the list a the more expensive and busy N. American resorts. Out of that list, I'd fancy Breck, Steamboat and Beaver Creek. I really want to go to Aspen, but price would be an issue for me. Is Park City expensive? That looks good.
ski holidays
conor, if you've done Dear Vallet, the Park City is a bargain!
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I've only done WP and to be quite honest would happily go back there next time. There always seems to be something that puts me off about the other places. I should try something different though.

Having said that, Deer Valley looks a bit too poncey for my liking, whatever the price.
ski holidays
I've persuaded my other half to go to the US in Jan for 10days, mainly because BA have some real good deals on bus.class flights from LHR. The trouble is, we can't decide which resort to go to. I suppose my criteria would be :- good groomed runs at European red standard and below, gentle off-piste runs to learn on, ideally ski-in/ski-out, nice town to wander around in the evenings and perhaps meet some like minded people, not too long a transfer. I had thought of Beavercreek (too small?), Aspen (too far?), Deer Valley (too posh?), Whistler (might rain?), Winter Park?
latest report
erica,

every resort has advantages and disadvantages. in reality you are not going to make a bad decision. as i have said many times i could teach/live at any resort/town and have chosen winter park.

you don't mention snow quality or scenery. i'll let the folks who have visited wintet park weigh in. our town is small, quaint, quiet. there are perhaps a half dozen bars and a dozen places to eat. other ski towns are larger and/or more lively.

the strength of winter park is the snow, terrain, and scenery.
latest report
Rusty Guy, That'll do for me then wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, the town is small and basically consists of one main road. However, it does have character and if your idea of a good night is a few drinks, a good meal and a few (or more) drinks, then you'll be catered for in WP (although I didn't have an appetite for the first few days due to altitude I think). If on the other hand, you prefer a banging night out with a bunch of yobs until 5am, then go to Andorra, or Luton.

We stayed in the Zephyr Mountain Lodge at the base resort (5 minute free bus to town) and it is about as ski-in ski-out as you can get.

You won't need to bother with 'off-piste' - it doesn't really exist anyway out there. They get so much snow that you'll always find ungroomed runs, easier and more challenging ones.

A big plus is that it is REALLY quiet on weekdays and you'll not queue for lifts until the weekend when there seems to be an exodus from Denver to WP.

Royal, we haven't started looking at prices yet (got to finish paying for Tignes in January first!). Also, our going depends on whether the other half is up the duff or not. If we do go, it will more a last minute thing. Like the sound of the jeep hire though.
ski holidays
conor wrote:
Also, our going depends on whether the other half is up the duff or not.

can someone translate? i spent about half the time asking conor's lovely bride to explain what the hell the lad was saying.
ski holidays
Rusty Guy- pregnant
snow report
erica2004,

I visited WP in January 2005. Top mountain - there's a report posted in the resort/trip reports.
latest report
Acacia, Rusty Guy, How do we aclimatise to the altitude? Any tips?
Is it easy to get a ride to nearby resorts without having to hire a car? My other half, whilst a motor dealer and advanced driver, goes to pieces when he has to drive on the other side of the road. And I'm far too scatter brained. Very Happy
snow report
erica2004, drink plenty of water. Then drink some more. If you're only going for 10 days, I'd say stick to Winter Park - there'll be enough there to keep you happy, particularly once you've mastered bumps and powder... Smile
latest report
i got the hang of power this year maybe next year i will be brave enough to try the bumps...
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Are there plenty loos Shocked
snow report
theres plenty of trees for us blokes....
latest report
erica2004, surely you only need one at a time?

Yes, there are plenty!
snow conditions
Royal, It's great fun doing the bump runs on a poor visibility day. We had one such day and the bumps were covered in a 6" pillow of fresh (I think it was the Drunken Frenchman run). It can sometimes make you better at them when you can't see them - you get the 'feel' for them a lot more.
snow report
erica2004, the altitude got to me a little for the first few days. I couldn't eat or drink much beer and was off to bed pretty early each night. You get used to it after a few days though.

Drink lots of water definitely and a humidifer in the room overnight probably helped us.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy