Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites/ Cortina

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Airmiles flights to geneva have now shot up in price but I could get flights to Venice for £67 with BA> Anyone any experience of DIY interms of booking apartments in the dolomites. Like the look of cortina. Any other reccomended resorts for 3 skiers who have skied 3 weeks and 3 skiers who are expereinced skiers within reach of venice. Any idea on resorts transfer other than hire cars and sources for rental apartments other than tourist offices. Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cortina is very nice, great scenery etc but it's off the main Sella Ronda route which would give you access to more miles of piste ( same pass ) without having to get taxis or buses. Arabba would be my prefered resort to be based as it gives excellent access to the Sella Ronda circuit and has the hardest of the piste skiing in the area.

However if you are looking for night life, other than good restaurants and a bar or three then Arabba is not the place for you - Selva maybe though

Wherever you choose you will get the most spectacualr scenery, if you do select Cortina then try to get out to the small Cinque Torre ski area and/or the hidden valley at Lagazoui which will require a short bus or taxi ride.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Re: the transfer

It's very easy to get around Italy using trains/buses. Although I must say I have NOT done this in winter I travelled round the Dolomites for 6 weeks last year climbing in the summer. From Venice airport you can get a coach to the train station, from there it's a train to Calalzo and another coach (from outside the station) to Cortina. I found the tourist offices very helpful in getting train/bus times also trenitalia.com is the Italian version of thetrainline.com and has an English option.
If you go to Sella instead get the train to Brunico (this is what we did but we came back from Cortina) and there's a bus from there.

As for accomodation we camped, but I looke d in the tourist information brochures and there were tonnes of places for every town we stayed in.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Swirly I suspect the transfer will be easy as the option of hiring a people carrier would be open to us.
Arabba had occurred purely on the reference to hardest piste skiing which is probably of interest to the three of us. Just need to check at the tourist office now. Very Happy

Any other ideas. no chalet pimping for the dolomites Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
re: the transfer

hallo dan100, visit the site www.dolomitistars.com and you find the information you need
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dan100, There is a ski bus transfer from Marco Polo airport to Arabba during the ski season which the Tourist office should have information. There is a small company called Colletts Mountain Holidays who have just started ski hols in Arabba, they have a website.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dan100, hire the car. No idea about apartments but try the tourist office or Holiday Rentals. We had a short weekend there and thought it was all very lovely - but didn't really think much about it from a "would it be enough for a week" p.o.v. Actually, we were in the first flush of our romance and weren't thinking much about skiing beyond whether either of us had catastrophically over-sold our abilities. Clearly not as we're still together 5 years or so later.

Wouldn't mind going back and checking the skiing out a little more properly. Will say there's some amazing scenery in that whole area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
riverman, Used to be a small company called Ski Beach Villas that had chalets in Arraba - I used them a couple of times in the early 90's, IIRC a chap called Collett had something to do with them. They were great but got taken over by Neilson, who I believe still operate there - the standards dropped terribly. I gave up with the Neilson operation after a couple of holidays which were not quite up to scratch.

Going back to Arabba next February after at least a 10 year lay off - so it will be intresting and enjoyable especially as I will have my Son with me who was a glint in my eye when I first found the area.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch wrote:
dan100, hire the car. No idea about apartments but try the tourist office or Holiday Rentals. We had a short weekend there and thought it was all very lovely - but didn't really think much about it from a "would it be enough for a week" p.o.v. Actually, we were in the first flush of our romance and weren't thinking much about skiing beyond whether either of us had catastrophically over-sold our abilities. Clearly not as we're still together 5 years or so later.

Wouldn't mind going back and checking the skiing out a little more properly. Will say there's some amazing scenery in that whole area.

almost too much info wink I wish Al had the same love of skiing. Saying that I would now be a ski bum and not providing much for my 3 kids

how far from arabba to cortina by car and is there easy parking for a day trip. Great responses. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dan100,

It is not far by road to Cortina from Arabba, IIRC about 45 minutes. Also you pass Cinque Torre and the cable car at Lagazoui on the way ( or way back ).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CP, I am going to Arabba in March for the first time for skiing. Went there walking in summer 2005 and decided that the skiing looked interesting
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy