Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski areas near Munich airport!

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings from across the pond! My husband found this dirt cheap deal for Munich. We will be for five days in early March. Any suggestions for good ski areas within two hours of the Munich Airport?

Thank!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try here for a good starting point. What sort of skiing are you after, will you be using a car or public transport?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As you can see from the link there are loads. Depending on exactly what you want, Kitzbuhel may be worth a look. It has pretty much everything you're likely to want except perhaps challenging blacks. It's less than 2 hours from MUC by car, weather permitting.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lisamer, It would be rude not to visit Kitzbuhel if you are coming all that way
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lisamer, if you could stretch the extra half hour, you could get to St Anton. Which, incidentally, is 2 hours from us Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank You! Not sure why the rest of title did not show up. It was supposed to read "Ski Areas Near Munich Airport," but oh well! Kitzubel is a strong possibility. After my ACL surgery, I have much less of an interest in challenging blacks. As it gets closer, I'll see if I can meet up with some of you!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lisamer, I've fixed the title. Kitzbuhel is a proper European town, if you're looking for that sort of thing, and there are a number of nearly linked ski areas around.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I totally agree with the suggestion of Kitzbuhel. It's a wonderful traditional town and a great skiing area suited to all levels of skiers. Another suggestion "from experience" would be Söll (in the Skiwelt ski area) which is basically in the next valley to Kitzbuhel. Great little traditional village and great skiing for all.

Or for a German resort you could try Garmisch, which is a good intermediate 'glacial' resort. The only 'glacial' ski resort in Germany snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The closest resort to Munich is probably Garmisch Partenkirchen, under 80 miles from the airport, which should last for 5 days.

Thereafter crossing into Austria via E45 you should hit Ski Welt first near Kufstein. The road to SkiWelt, largest in Austria fully linked with Soll, Ellmau, Scheffau, Hopfgarten and Brixen, also leads to Kitzbuhel which is less than 10 min by car from Brixen.

Think a coupe of road juctions afterward is the small Alpbach resort and then the next turn off will lead to Zell am Ziller which is another major area with Mayhofen, Hintertux etc.

Think you need 5 weeks just to try every one.

The trick is how to get away from Munchen and on the return flight how to get there on time for the flight. Last year we chose to stay overnight in a hotel near Muchen airport after finished skiing but still we were delayed by the traffic jam and arrived at 11pm, just in time for get a meal before everything was closed. Munchen is having a lot of road work and possibly the worst traffic jam in Europe.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee wrote:
The closest resort to Munich is probably Garmisch Partenkirchen, under 80 miles from the airport, which should last for 5 days.

I seem to recall skiing at Sudelfeld, Lengreis, Tegernsee and Reit-im-Winkl (and maybe some others?) which are all nearer than Garmisch from the airport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof,

There are quite a number of small local resorts. Some of them are worth a visit. I passed a few of them when trying to avoid the jam in the motorway. Can't swear how easy to get accommodation though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee wrote:

The trick is how to get away from Munchen and on the return flight how to get there on time for the flight. Last year we chose to stay overnight in a hotel near Muchen airport after finished skiing but still we were delayed by the traffic jam and arrived at 11pm, just in time for get a meal before everything was closed. Munchen is having a lot of road work and possibly the worst traffic jam in Europe.

But German trains are good and Munich Airport and Garmisch both have stations. So do many other German resorts. Those that don't often have a bus service connecting from the nearest station. German Railways even has a website in English, which gives some bus connections too.

http://www.bahn.de/-S:PtVORd:ef9entNNh3P6YNNNNUxM/p/view/international/englisch/international_guests.shtml.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lisa,

If you like quaint Alpine villages then you'll like Kitz (although Kitz is pretty low so check the snow). As others have said St Anton is a bit further out but is worth the extra hour or so. Traffic does back up esp on Sunday nights so trains are a good alternative esp if you both want to try the Apres Ski.

This route planner should give you an idea where the resorts are in relation to Munich
http://www.rac.co.uk/web/routeplanner/?advanced=true&fromcity=&tocity=

Here are a few hundred Austrian resorts to choose from
http://www.bergfex.com/austria/

Here is a snow report link (as more resorts get snow they are added to the list)
http://www.tiscover.at/at/guide/5,en/objectId,RGN7at,selectedEntry,home.html,folder,SNOWREPORT,selElem,1,parentId,RGN7at/snowrpt.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey DB and all - thanks for the help. It looks like it's Kitzbuhel - I was able to find a reasonably good price for 3 days there. Meanwhile we'll spend the first night in Muenchen since oour flight doesn't arrive at MUC until almost 1800. Pub crawl in Munich isn't a bad way to spend Friday night!

I may look into cashing some frequent flyer or hotel frequent guest scheme points for something else, but in the meantime at least LM and I have something lined up. For the price I got for the flight (USD $332 including all taxes) I figured why not do it! I've never been to Austria yet, and only managed to spend 1 day in Munich years ago on my first trip to Europe, so I owe myself some time there.

Thanks again all for all the suggestions and info. I'm sure LM and I will have more questions and possible meet-ups when the time gets closer. You never know where that WTFH guy will show up, for example Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MarkXS wrote:
Hey DB and all - thanks for the help. It looks like it's Kitzbuhel - I was able to find a reasonably good price for 3 days there. Meanwhile we'll spend the first night in Muenchen since oour flight doesn't arrive at MUC until almost 1800. Pub crawl in Munich isn't a bad way to spend Friday night!

I'm sure you will love Kitzbühel. When you arrive at the airport if you don't want to take a hire car and drive into Munich for the first night and then on to Kitzbühel next day it is very easy to get from the airport to the city centre on the S- Bahn (light railway system) Line S8 see here. From the Main Hauptbahnof in Munich (or the Ostbahnhof) there are easy connections to Kitzbühel (change at Wörgl in Austria), travel time approx 2½ hours - see German railways site . When the train arrives in Kitzbühel it actually stops at two stations in town, the first is called Kitzbühel (the main station) and the second is Kitzbühel Hahnenkamm (right by the famous mountain and the Hahnenkamm skilift building). Incidentally, at the top station of the Hahnenkamm skilift there is an interesting museum about the history of skiing in Kitzbühel, the 1950s Olympic Champion Toni Sailer and of course the history of the Hahnenkamm Downhill.

As regards the pub crawl in Munich on Friday night, if you have not been there before you really should visit the famous Hofbrauhaus Beer Hall (everyone sits at tables and there is a typical Bavarian Brass Band playing drinking songs - you can also order food there Very Happy ).
snow report
Sound advice from all above. Kitz would probably be my first choice, since it's my favourite place after St.Anton. From Munich I get there in about 1h15 to 1h30 IF the Autobahn is clear ( i.e at 6:30 in the morning ), but can be considerably longer than that on a weekend morning if you are late leaving Munich. I get to St.Anton in about 2h20 these days ( 6:30 in the morning again). It's got shorter now they have built a tunnel bypassing Nassereith, so that's also worth thinking about. You have to just drive down there and find a place to stay when you get there because they wont give away rooms for less than a week if you phone.
Have fun!
snow report
Mike Lawrie wrote:
I get to St.Anton in about 2h20 these days ( 6:30 in the morning again).

that's good going ... which way do you go - motorway or up over past Garmisch & Seefeld ?
snow report
RichA, Munich->Garmisch->Fernpass->Imst->Landeck->St.Anton. Since they have built the bypass round Nassereith on the Imst side of Fernpass, and have extended the motorway from Imst past Landeck the whole journey has got a lot shorter. Used to be more like three hours. All depends on getting over the Fernpass before the Busses get there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy