Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ontario - any worthwhile skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Puzzled
Potential visit to the inlaws - they live next door to a small resort run by Intrawest (Blue Mountain) but I'm interested to know what else there is in the area (Georgian Bay).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously not. Communication blackout from Snowheads confirms my fears.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
poma, none that I know of, but let me check...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://skiontario.ca/alpine.asp
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Obviously not. Communication blackout from Snowheads confirms my fears.

Give us a chance poma!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sorry! Didn't mean to rush you ... the skiontario website has loads of links, I think there are a lot of little hills all run by different outfits, but still well worth checking out - and some great quotes on that website too - free skipasses for Grade 5ers - so that 'every kid in Canada should be given the opportunity to try the BEST WINTER SPORT-SKIING AND SNOWBOARDING' and my favourite - 'The Mission of Ski Ontario is to meet the needs of the skiing, snowboarding, snowtubing public'. Hey - that's us! And they exist to meet our needs!
[should we have a snowtubing section?? and what would we put on it if so?]
Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
poma, I used to live in Ottawa for a winter but I'm afraid I know nothing directly about the skiing around where you are possibly going to. However from a look at the skiontario site above and http://www.goski.com/resorts/rcan/blue.htm it looks like the hills (yes Ontario is flat, mildly undulating but not mountainous) have short verticals (200 metres) and short runs. There are set up as daytrip hills and not really holiday destinations. So don't expect the Alps. Further affield (5 to 6 hour drive at a guess) you've got Tremblant, still a hill but a bigger one, or Mont Sainte Anne up by Quebec.

I wouldn't travel to see your outlaws just so you can ski but if you are going to see them I'd do some day trips to Blue Mountain and some of the others. Check lift pass prices as there may be a big variation is prices for not that great a difference in your skiing enjoyment.

Hope this is helpful.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ontario is as flat as a pancake. We drove round lake Ontario and Thousand Islands one day 2 years ago. I kept seeing signs as we drove around suggesting skiing areas but the highest peaks i could see where the roofs of houses and industrial units.

The only Blue Mountain ski resort i knew was in New Jersey area outside New york, pretty good for a weekend http://www.skibluemt.com . This is the one you are looking for http://www.bluemountain.ca as all of the websites over the pond they are really good!!

Quote:

Blue Mountain is Ontario's Largest Mountain Resort. At 720 vertical feet and 2 ½ miles wide, Blue Mountain is a snow sport paradise providing skiers and snowboarders of all levels a wide variety of terrain. The resort is action packed with 34 trails over 253 acres ranging from beginner to double black diamond, 3 terrain parks, 3 half-pipes including 2 super-pipes, a snowtubing park and 12 lifts, including 4 high speed express chairs to move you uphill fast.

For such a small hill it seems very well served. Give a go, what have you to loose? snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, I lived in Toronto for 2 years, many years ago. I had my first experience on skis then, but that was all cross-country. Don't knock it. The opportunities for cross-country in Ontario are abundant. (Yes, it is predominantly flat).

Of the alpine locations, Collingwood (Blue Mountain) is about the best. It may not have a great vertical (just over 200 metres), but it's not a bad area.

It also turns out a surprisingly high proportion of Canadian ski race team members, which may have something to do with the enthusiasm of the local kids for racing, but also with the impressively high standard of instruction.

I think I read an article in Ski Canada a couple of years ago that pointed out that Ontario had pretty much cornered the market in female Ski School directors: I'm not saying that women necessarily make better instructors, but these particular women were among the top ranked in the country (Canadian D-team members).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to ski at Blue Mountain whilst living in Hamilton, ON - we used to call it Blue Hill - don't bother!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy