Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to Become a ski instructor?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following on from a comment made regarding my daughter by a fellow snowHead last Thursday Toofy Grin
and a school ski trip that could result in winning a ski scholarship - Details here http://www.interski.co.uk/scholarship.htm

What is the best route into ski teaching?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-10-06 19:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cannot see the link boredsurfin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little tiger wrote:
cannot see the link boredsurfin

Try it now Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin wrote:

Gap course somewhere? Lots of places do them now, some offering coverage of BASI courses or other routes into teaching such as CSIA qualifications.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hmmm in Oz it is pretty much turn up at ski school hiring clinic... if you have personality/people skills and can ski at all you get hired ... the clinic is your training... rolling eyes then if you feel so inclined you train for level 1 exams...

Oh I forgot - those with wealthy parents can do a SLAP course in austria - guaranteed job in ski school... unfortunately you cannot buy a pass of level 1 exam Twisted Evil

where does she want to work boredsurfin? what are her aims? (she may not ahve any at this point in time)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
little tiger, It's another ski related plan, she already has a business plan for another business idea in a ski resort, which on paper shows a profit by the 4th week each season Toofy Grin
She's 14 BTW and speaks French and Spanish to GCSE standard snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
that is cool....

I know at least 2 of our aussie examiners work at Deer valley in Utah in the northern winter... they would be nice to work with(good guys, solid trainers)

and an ex(non working atm in that area)-examiner is at Falls all year round runs race dept...he has staatliche as well as being aussie examiner and did manage a hotel as well while doing all the above... very cool guy...

Only other one I know well has a 13y.o. son but he no longer works in the industry.... very experienced though - worked europe/oz/japan/USA... trainer/ski school management etc
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, If you are near a dry slope you can normally start instructor training at 16, artificial slope instructor, this is the route that I followed and then took my BASI. As rob@rar, wrote a gap course somewhere is the quickest route. ( http://www.basi.org.uk/courses/gap_overv.asp ) The Interski scholarship has been running for a couple of seasons and watching a video of the students the standard of skiing was very high.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, I'd agree with Dunk, start at a a dry slope. It's a good way to start and will give some practical teaching experience.

Snowsport England look after Artificial slope qualifications in England and the ASSI award MAY allow her to skip the BASI foundation week as I understand the Scottish one does.

http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/becoming_an_artifical_slope_instructor-822.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, Diito Dunk, and david@mediacopy, plastic the way to start. I don't think BASI recognise the SSE ASSI, although they do the Scottish one.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well one fellow snowHead applied to Wengen ski school earlier this year and has been accepted on their pre season course in early December (It wasn't me by the way)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin - the "best" route very much depends on whether your daughter wants to make a living out of ski instruction or just "get by".

The difficulty is that there are lots of different systems - each of which will allow you to teach in different countries. This is the little I know about it.

In Switzerland you technically don't need any qualifications. If the ski school director likes you he can hire you.

In Canada you can do a Level 1 qualification in a week and this lets you teach snowplough and beginning parallel. It'll get her a job at subsistance wages with a big operator like IntraWest.

(I don't know anything about the ASSI, so will skip that here.)

Then you hit BASI 3 (confusingly, the systems don't have consistent numbering systems), which is broadly equivalent to a Canadian Level 2. This is what she'll get off a GAP course. This will allow her to teach in the UK, Australia and Canada (and some other places), a limited amount in Italy, but not in France.

To teach in France she'll need a BASI 3 and a test technique (new this year - previous years it was a BASI 2) - to gain "staatliche" status - from where she's technically got 3 years (I think) to get the equivalent of her BASI 1. If she teaches with ESF, the 3 year limit is a more, err, relaxed concept.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Phillip Stanton...
from what I know the aussie ski schools will take anyone - as long as you do their hiring clinic and pass.... no quals needed

the italians had a great story of one of their number heading to Oz... and being forced to do hiring clinic although full cert because no-one in ski school could work out (or would not work out) the levels... he passed with flying colours and now all from his ski school with same quals go straight to top level cert wise (for pay purposes in Oz you get points for levels and for experience).. they no longer need to do hiring clinic they tell me...

this is how we get so many diff certs at home... you are always welcome to turn up and try... (well we had so many diff people build the snowy mountains scheme)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:

If you want to teach in France ski racing is almost essential.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, I can only agree with the suggestion to start teaching on plastic. Our daughter started this year. The centre effectively ran a personal performance class once a week from May to August and then the training for Club Coach started in September. Now she has to shadow during lessons for at least 20 hours and demonstrate her ability to teach. If that all goes well, she can do the full ASSI course next year and will then have a gap year to do a BASI qualification. After that, who knows?

We reckon that if she doesn't like teaching on plastic we won't have to fund the gap year course.

The standard on the Club Coach course is quite variable, as is the age range. Some of the poorer skiers have improved considerably over the summer, but they will IMHO find it difficult to give a good demonstration. The better skiers have all spent time with local clubs, learning both general skiing techniques and racing on plastic: some of these are also using it as a preliminary to a gap year course.

Conclusions: join a dry slope club to improve technique, take the Club Coach and ASSI courses, and only then the gap year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy