Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Info please resort near Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
We are virtual beginners looking to fly to Geneva for Feb. half term. Can anyone recommend a family resort within easy reach of airport that would have self-catering accommodation/B&B and good proximity to slopes?
Many thanks (first time on Snow Heads!)
Louise
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Clusaz
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hsslb, Welcome to Snowheads if it has not been done already.
Morzine is a good "village" with things to do besides skiing. I think there are plenty of self catering places as well.
Not too far from Geneva and links with Avoriaz, Les Gets etc.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hsslb, Welcome....I've put up a link on your La Clusaz post too. Morzine and Flaine (or better still Les Carroz) are worth checking out. La Clusaz would be good too, there's lots of lovely green and blue runs all over the mountain there and it's likely to be a bit less crowded at half term??
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hsslb, Welcome to snowHead s. La Clusaz, Les Gets, Morzine and Avoriaz. All are within 1.5hrs from gva you and your family will have a ball wherever you decide.

Have Fun. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome!

Some associated information at http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17949

I'd agree with Morzine or Les Gets - either would be great. Personally I'd tend to favour Les Gets for beginners as there's a better range of beginners' slopes; a nicer range of "ski home" runs and you wouldn't really appreciate the link across to Avoriaz.

There's a good British ski school at both Les Gets and Morzine - www.britishskischool.com - although you need to book as quickly as possible as the lessons get pretty booked up.

As Roy Hockley says - you'll have a great time whereever you go.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hsslb, Welcome to snowHead - I will send you a pm with some ideas. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flaine
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hsslb, I agree with PhillipStanton, and my daughter has used BASS in Morzine. We are going back to Les Gets next season as we like the smaller village than Morzine and the slopes are good for our young kids
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Contamines or Le Grand Bornand will do the trick, avoid the major reasorts off the autoroute blanche at Feb Half term as half of France will be there too. Don't forget Swiss resorts are within easy reach too!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think Les Gets slopes are better for beginners than Les Contamines (also, you need to go a lot further on the Autoroute Blanche to get to Les Contamines than to get to Les Gets). Flaine is good too, if you're not fussy about concrete high rise, though be careful where you end up staying, in terms of access to lifts. I don't know Le Grand Bornand well but the skiing might be a bit challenging and it is unlikely you would find English speaking instruction (the instructors might well speak English, but if others in a group are French, the teaching will be mostly French, whatever they tell you at the outset!). Would support PhillipStanton, BASS in Les Gets was excellent for a range of abilities, including a very nervous beginner, when we used them. But they are more expensive than the ESF (classes half the size) and do get very booked up half term; no time to lose. There are masses of catered chalets in Les Gets, run by UK Tour Operators, but if that does not appeal and you have booked flights already, you might get a better deal by booking an apartment direct with the resort Tourist Office (there are some very central apartments in Les Gets). If you haven't booked flights, prepare for shock... prices are high. The whole thing will cost you a fortune, especially when this is just the first in a long string of family ski holidays once you are hooked! Laughing Presumably you have no choice but to go in school holidays. Half term is very expensive and very crowded. If you haven't thought about it, consider Easter. A lot cheaper, a lot less crowded and conditions can be superb. But for a later trip Flaine would be a better bet than Les Gets, as it is higher and has a better snow record. It all depends, as everyone will tell you, on your priorities!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For Begginers and kids i would say come to Les Gets. www.lesgets.com
I have spent the last 3 years living most of the year in Les Gets, it is a small friendly and still very french resort.
it is 1 to 1hour 15 mins from Geneva.
Although the main part is only at 1172 meters we still have great snow.
Bass are a very good ski school but they do get booked up very quick by the brits, if that is the case go for 360 ski school although French, all speak perfect English and having followed them round the mountain the standared of instruction is excellent.
Try Chalet finders for apartments or do a google for central properties Les Gets, but get in now as a lot of things get booked up.
if you require any more help would be glad to pass on info.

Russ
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hsslb, I can recommend either La Clusaz or Grand Bornand there are runs to suit all abilities - and if you pitch up in St Jean de sixt you are right in the middle of both resorts - get the Aravis ski pass that covers both resorts so you'll have plenty to try out. Takes about 45 mins drive from Geneva - if you need to rent a car try ebookers instead of direct via the big companies it can save a fortune.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hsslb,

take a look here, gives you an idea of what you can get to with ease.

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html

bob
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fat-Russ, Hey, I'm a Les Gets fan but 'Very French' ?? Well yes in a Sloaney kind of way Toofy Grin

Les Gets best IMHO hsslb, for families beginners , due to slope access. Forget BASS and go with 360 International, they got me up on skis so they can't be that bad. If you fancy them ( I did a review somewhere), then pm and I could book for you ( cos their website and Customer Service leaves a bit to be desired rolling eyes ) and evn then it can go to rat-poo-poo -- as Brian will attest. Embarassed
snow report
 brian
brian
eEvans, ah well it was the thought that counted Wink .... and it worked out fine in the end. Very Happy

Second your recommendation, but call them yourself, hsslb Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
btw, Les Gets should be fine for you, reasonably priced (somewhat oxymoronic for half term week but it's all relative) s/c accom here:

www.agencedesalpes.fr
snow report
hsslb, France has a pretty bad reputation for being crowded Feb half term( Deserved in my experience)There are I believe family friendly resorts in Switzerland reasonably close to Geneva. I haven't been but Leysin or Villars may suit I'm sure a snowHead may be able to help. You could also try through the Mt Blanc tunnel in Italy where Cervinia or La Thuile may be suitable. These aren't to far away, how easy any of these are to get to will depend on whether you DIY or Package and if DIY whether you hire a car or use public transport.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 11-09-06 22:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
brian wrote:
eEvans, ah well it was the thought that counted Wink .... and it worked out fine in the end. Very Happy

Second your recommendation, but call them yourself, hsslb Laughing

Swine !! You weren't supposed to read that ..... what he is saying hsslb is that I now consider them friends but that I can screw any booking up !
ski holidays
Just to chuck another alternative into the mix........ We've done Morillon (Grand Massif - Flaine, Samoens, Morillon) for the last three years at half term, each time wth at least one absolute beginner in tow and always a success. It has a great 5km green run (Marvel) and actually we haven't found it THAT crowded - certain not as crowded as Alps d'Huez a few weeks later last year. Tourist office are helpful for accommodation or www.authenticalps.co.uk have a couple of nice apartments that we used last year.
snow conditions
Just to second Annie's suggestion - Morrillon is quite lovely and I reckon would be a very nice place to learn. The main advantage of the that end of the Grand Massif is that a lot of runs are wooded.

The only thing I'd be cautious of is the quality of the local ski schools. It might be worth trying to find someone who knows the area better.
snow conditions
She's booked to go to St Jean de sixt!
snow conditions
Avoriaz is a great place for all skiing abilities. I have been many times and as it's the highest resort in the area the skiing conditions are normally great Happy Much of the beginners area is very close to a lot of the accomodation. I have stayed in a couple of the properties listed on [url]www.avoriazlets.com [/url]both of which were of a high standard and very reasonably priced
snow report
I have booked a fly to Geneve too!!! I'm going to ski in La Clusaz from the 26th to 29th january, with my brother. We will be in Auberge de Jeunesse La Clusaz in full board. The all price including fly+car renting+ski pass+full board is just 300 Euros jijiji, departing from Barcelona to Geneve.
The price of fly ticket is just 34E for person included airport tax. There is a new low cost fly company called click air that has offered good bargains.

Regards
snow conditions
Don't forget Chatel as a Portes du Soleil option.
snow conditions
hsslb, You'll enjoy St Jean. snowHead
latest report
Sounds a great deal, metalhead132, I hope you have a good time, snow should be great and so is La Cluzaz.
ski holidays
hsslb, Louise, welcome!

Do keep our Swiss resorts in mind - there's a whole bunch in the Vaud Alps, like Villars, Leysin, Les Diablerets, Les Mosses, just 1hr 30m or so from Geneva airport (dead easy trip- hourly train from the lower level in the airport, and one change at Aigle to the mountain cog system).

We're in Leysin - great for beginners, brilliant for intermediates, some serious off-piste, excellent multilingual teachers, good accommodation (self-catering and B&B), great mountain restaurants, good facilities in the village (including 2 sports centres), fantastic views from our main ski area at Berneuse (2,200m) down the Rhône Valley, the Dents du Midi, and Lake Geneva. Forget the crowds and language problems - also kids under-9 get free ski passes for the whole season.

We're full for most of February, but can always advise on good-value apartments owned by friends or B&Bs.

Good links to Leysin facilities (snow stats, tuition, sports etc.) and local area here (ignore the chalet blurb and go down to the links at the bottom).

PM if you want brochures, briefings or ski maps, and keep in mind almost all the Swiss resorts have websites by adding .ch to their name (i.e. www.villars.ch and www.leysin.ch ) and they are packed with information.

Good luck!

Boswell
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LES CARROZ
ski holidays
I have taken my family to La Clusaz at half term for last 2 years - unbeatable!

This year we are doing a 2 centre holiday going to both La clusaz and Le Grand Bornand.

Try Interhome for cheap (basic) piste-side accomodation in the La Clusaz area.

We've also tried Couchevel and St Gervais from Geneva airport. I wouldn't recommend either for families at half-term.
ski holidays
Have been to both Leysin and Villars and both are very good family resorts that are also proper towns compared to the purpose built variety. Their other main advantage is that you can get there by train and on Swiss rain systems this can be highly recommended. Fast and reliable as you'd expect in Switzerland.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy