Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long Weekend Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've been doing weekend trips for the last few years but have stuck to France and Italy.
Suggestion this year is to give Austria a go but the comments been made that its tough to get accommodation for shorter trips in the larger resorts.

Specifically we were looking at Mayrhofen for the w/e of 10th or 17th of January.

Anyone got any experience of know of hotels or apartments that would fit the bill, numbers are a bit vague at the moment but we usually get about 6 people.

Cheers

Rich
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Rich

We go to Austria a lot for weekend breaks in the Amade region. Its about 50 mins from Salzburg airport so ideal for a short break. Try www.amadebreaks.com. They are an british couple who live in the area and are very helpful with advice on where to ski. They can pick you up from the airport if you wish but it is probably better to hire a car as there are some lovely ski areas that are not linked. They have accommodation to suit different budgets as well from b+b's to 4* hotels. We have skiied there for the last 4 years and still not done it all.

Incidently we will be there on the 16th Jan so if you decide to go pm me and we might be able to meet up.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Innsbruck is a slightly random sounding option. There is a range of 'day-trip' slopes within less than 30 minutes plus theres now a funicular from the central station direct to nordpark (20 minutes). Because it's a real town (city?) rather than a resort you should get more than "Nur sieben tage, bitte" when you are looking at hotels. There's 4 pages on the skiing there in where to ski and snowboard, but not much on their website. It's definitely on my mental 'to do' list, just a question of when I get round to it...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just booked a long weekend in Obertauern in February. No problem at all getting a hotel via the resort website www.obertauern.com . Flights through Salzburg. Easy as pie.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
soulo, Amade is a real possibility, there are some decent flights to Salzburg. The ski area looks pretty good. The only downside is the flight would have to be Ryanair out of Stansted. Amade looks like a pretty impressive area, never heard of it before.

bertie bassett, I've tried to find Innsbruck flights but come up empty. We're looking to go out and return in the evenings to minimise holiday taken and maximise skiing, Easyjet flights just don't work out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Amade is good Rich, there is Zauchansee with it's world cup ski run, Herman Maier's home town Flachau with his own flying pig shop, Schladming where they have world cup slalom event under floodlight in January and Obertaun is not too far away although it is on a different ski pass but is well worth a visit. There are some lovely old huts on the slopes as well that i can recommend.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rich wrote:
soulo, Amade is a real possibility, there are some decent flights to Salzburg. The ski area looks pretty good. The only downside is the flight would have to be Ryanair out of Stansted. Amade looks like a pretty impressive area, never heard of it before.

bertie bassett, I've tried to find Innsbruck flights but come up empty. We're looking to go out and return in the evenings to minimise holiday taken and maximise skiing, Easyjet flights just don't work out.
Fair point - I must admit I did'nt check the flight timings before I suggested it. Stelios is missing a trick (or being stuffed by the cartel) - a light night mon/tuesday flight out during the winter would be rammed...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You'll often find accommodation deals on the main resort sites. I went to Solden a couple of years back for a long weekend and booked this way.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rich, Ski Welt resorts also easy from salzburg, Accomodation should be fine at that time...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've always been able to get weekend accom in Kitzbuhel and Kirchberg, in pensions. So long as your weelk isn't Hahnenkamm or the weekend before, you should be OK there if nowhere else. It's handy enough for Munich airport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rich,

Done long weekend in Mayrhofen last year. Flew Ryanair Friday night to Monday night and got the transfers sorted by vip taxis below and there were 14 of us and they were fantastic. Have used them for Schladming and Saalbach this year as well. All long weekends Friday night to Monday night.

http://www.transferservice.at/index_en.php

All we do for accomadation is email the tourist board 2-3 weeks before for the accommadation. Managed to get 14 of us in the Post Hotel in Mayrhofen in the attic rooms (Would only recommend the attic rooms for a lads trip)..

http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/austria/mayrhofen_(ziller_valley)/hotel_alte_post/prices.html[/url]

But getting that lift down at the end of the day in Mayrhofen is the biggest pain in the butt ever. We managed to ski down one day to one of the satalite villages and grabbed a beer and then a cab back. The Apres in the Ice bar is good at the end of the day. That is the bar at the bottom next of the lift. Plus you can leave your ski's in the hire shop there for a euro or two. Ended up in Mo's and Scotland Yard bars most nights. I certainly liked Mayrhofen and the Apres is good as well. Plus no rip off prices for beer like in France... Hope that helps... Razz

[/quote]
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rich, For arranging accomodation for a few days, you should find the tiscover site helpful.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers everyone for all the good feedback. We'll probably do Luftwaffe out of Heathrow to Munich, its a bit more on the flight cost but way more convenient and as we're all fairly close by and won't have to pay for parking.
stortfordhal, the taxi option looks interesting, do you remember what the cost was?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Rich,

They only really do Salzburg airport, as we tried them on another trip from Munich and they were not really interested and quoted us quite a high price......Thing is I just got them off the airport website. Maybe just try the Munich airport website for your trip. In fact I am flying to Munich on the 21st Nov for a weekend in Stubai and am just hiring a car. But you ever fly to Salzburg then check them out as they charged 199 €uros return for upto 7 people to a lot of resorts listed on there drop-down on there website. When we done Maryhofen they charged us more as that is beyond there 199€uro range. But we were happy to pay more as none of us wanted to drive... Enjoy your trip and Mayrhofen will not let you down....

Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can recommend the Snow White Hotel in Obertauern. Great staff and it's situated right on the slopes! Great ski bar for the end of the day and a short walk to the madness of the town if you've enough stamina for the evening!! Stayed there in March '07 - back again this Feb - can't wait.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy