Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

zauchensee austria or flacau

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all
we have flights booked to sazbugh next jan (£51 each hooray!!) Very Happy

previous years have done schladmin also soll.
has any one been to zauchensee or flacau?
any feedback recomendations would be most appreciated. cheers......
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

Flachau you will find is very busy since it is right next to the motorway, so it is very easy for people to get to . You get a lot of day trippers skiing there. But you can ski to Wagrain and other areas from there.

Zauchensee again will be busy. It is one of Austria's few purpose built resorts, which means most of the hotels are on the piste but it is expensive and the village(!!) is a bit soul-less. It has a resident population of about 15 people ( who live there all the time!!)

There are also other resorts in the area ours (The Hochkoenig Winter Kingdom) is very quiet even in the peak season.But there are lots of others.Have a look here:-

http://en.skiamade.com/

Nigel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been to most of the places (Flachau, Zauchensee, Wagrain, Schladming) mentioned here.
There is no big difference between them. You can expect the same everywere. Reliable snow, well maintained pistes, good skibus system, modern lifts, good Hüttes by the slopes ...

Flachau is located in a long valley with easy access to the slopes on foot ot by skibus. The resort has only chairs and cabins, draglifts only for the skischools. Slopes close to Wagrain are more challenging.

I stayed in Flachau for a week, and took daytrips to Zauchensee and Wagrain. There is no big difference between Schladming and Flachau on the slopes, but as a village, Schlaming looks nicer and bigger.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
djfletcher wrote:
Hi,
It has a resident population of about 15 people ( who live there all the time!!)

http://idata.over-blog.com/0/18/85/05/petite-bulle-des-horreurs/shining.jpg
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hire a car. Then you can ski lots of different parts of the Ski Amade area. Flachau, Wagrain, Flachau-Winkel, Zauchensee, Schladming, Kleinarl, Flizmoos and Radstadt are all within a 40 minute drive of each other.

I have friends in the region and will be visiting them (again) in March. Most of the punters are Austrian or German - not many Brits around.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tgd,
Last season I stayed in Obertauern and visited Flachau and Zauchensee on day trips. I would somewhat disagree with some of the other comments but bear in mind it was only day trips and I did not explore either area thoroughly.
Flachau was very crowded indeed there were significant queues for all lifts (High season) and the terrain was monotonous blue/easy red, it was one of the few places I have visited which I would plan not to return to.
Zauchensee was virtually empty in comparison with no queues and varied skiing. It also had better snow probably due to being higher and having fewer skiers.
The resort was purpose built and looked quiet but was not unattractive. If looking for a little more life and traditional surroundings you could stay in Altenmarkt which is a little further down the valley and has a regular bus service or an easy drive if taking a car. It is quite a pleasant small alpine town.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for all the feed back
starting to change my mind now didnt realise flachau was so busy so......
now looking at hochkoenig/maria alm after the link from nigel
how far are these resorts from salzbugh??
cheers wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi,

Glad you are thinking of this area. Mühlbach am Hochkönig is about 45 mins from the airport and Maria Alm at the other end of the valley is about 1 hour away. You can hire a car from the airport which is very easy or get the train which again is fairly cheap and very efficient!

You can ski form one end to the other if you have very strong legs and don't stop at all during the day ( and don't visit any of the tempting Alms for a cheap beer or meal wink )
This area at the moment is relatively undiscovered by the British but popular with the Germans, Austrians and Dutch and tends to get a lot of snow a Schneewinkel ( a snowcorner) as the Austrians say. Last winter for example the mountain had double the amount of snow that Zell am See and Saalbach got.

Hope that helps -any more questions please e-mail me.

Nigel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy