Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EasyJet to charge extra for second hold luggage

Poster: A snowHead
An extra £5 (if paid in advance, otherwise £10) to put a second item in the hold when flying with EasyJet. Bad news for those who travel with a separate bootbag?

BBC News.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar.org.uk, exactly why I bought my holdalls. For some reason hubby doesn't like leaving his boots at the apartment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.easyjet.com/EN/News/new_baggage_procedures_september_2006.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
what a load of crap

Quote:
The new security measures strictly limit hand-baggage size, thus increasing the pressure on check-in and security procedures; as a result easyJet is making changes to its checked-in baggage policy.

All easyJet passengers will be encouraged to limit themselves to a single piece of checked-in baggage.

using current security measures as an excuss to raise more money.

Also

Quote:
the current policy on sporting goods will also remain unchanged.

so what about ski's ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seems fair to me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't imagine the baggage handlers are going to like it - they'll have less, but bigger and more heavy bags to carry.

I agree that it's outrageous to do this at the moment. I can't imagine they can impose this on you if you've already got your ticket as you will have agreed to Ts and Cs at the time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, Easyjet have a 20kg per bag limit.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton wrote:
I can't imagine they can impose this on you if you've already got your ticket as you will have agreed to Ts and Cs at the time.

That's right. It only applies to new bookings made from today.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's the big deal? You already pay extra for your ski bag - chuck the boots in there. Weight limit not no of bags is usually my prime constraint.

Agree its blatant profiteering by easyjet as more people are forced to check bags that previously would have been hand luggage. Hope I can get my pack compressed down to acceptable cabin dimensions as that's something I don't want occupying space in my hold baggage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fly BA. Book early and they're not much more expensive than the low cost carriers, and you don't get hit with additional charges for extra bags, skis, etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you take more than 1 bag your only wasting valuable kg in your allowance .

I agree with rob@rar.org.uk, The major carriers fairs are very good nowadays are far more flexible with luggae. They also fly to and/from major airports so you do not have the extra taxi, railways fares to add on to the price.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
EasyJet to charge extra for second hold luggage

Good
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk, stanton, i couldnt agree more

nearly the only time we use sleazyjet/lying air etc is if they are the only ones flying that particular route
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, I've consistently heard people say this, but am yet to find it to be true! Booked for mid-March '07 to Geneva with Sleazyjet and got flights for £42.00 rtn. BA couldn't even come close. A shame, as I rather like the complimentary drinks on BA...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rainman, cheapest I could get easyjet for on the dates I wanted was £76, plus whatever charges they want for ski luggage. BA was £93 inclusive from Heathrow, and a bit cheaper from Gatwick. As I can get to Heathrow on a bus I prefer to fly from there and not have to pay for airport parking.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, swings n' roundabouts, innit?!
snow report
rainman, yes it is, which is a bit disappointing IMO. Easyjet used to be the cheapest way for me to get to the Alps, but for the last couple of years all their prices seem to have crept up, and BA (and Swiss) have crept down so there's not a lot in it any more.
snow report
Its a bit unlucky on elderly people who often prefer two lighter bags to a heavy one. For skiers I don't think it should make a big difference.
latest report
I try to travel as light as poss, one bag that slings over the shoulder is all I want to carry.

Not a fan of EJ and am booked BA next time but all the airlines will follow suit if they think they can get away with it. It's a co-ordinated but non-cartel...!!!!
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Fly BA. Book early and they're not much more expensive than the low cost carriers, and you don't get hit with additional charges for extra bags, skis, etc.

BA, family of 4 Manchester to Geneva was close to a grand for Easter, Jet2, despite almost doubling their prices from last year, Leeds to Chambery (ie much better for me) was £747.31

That's a fair difference in my books!!
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk,

From Schiphol I always take Swiss. Cant fault them, leather seats,legroom, beverages ,cheap tickets, goes to the airport of my choice . Why fly with a bucket airline ? Very Happy

I allways fascinated why people put up with less ? Sad
snow report
stanton, Because we dont all live near Schipol
snow report
riverman, Smile Smile

I cant imagine Swiss being much different on prices from the UK.
snow conditions
Plus they do not charge for Skis !
snow conditions
Just booked (Aug 31st Very Happy) return flights with Easyjet Luton to Grenoble 19-26 december for £70 each including £30 for skis. flight times are great 11.30am out 2.20 pm back. Flying on a Tuesday or Wednesday saves a packet compared with weekends.
ski holidays
stanton, because we don't have any other option than jet2 or Easyjet to the ski slopes from Newcastle without having to change flights.BA only offer flights via Heathrow or Gatwick. One airport in each direction is quite enough. I don't find them a problem to fly with either.
fatbob, because i don't take a ski bag.
snow conditions
stanton, Swiss cost more than Easyjet and their flight times are not so convenient. ( I just checked their site). Heathrow and City airports are also not very convenient if you live north of Milton Keynes. Luton is much easier.

Easyjet charge £15 per person per flight (30 return) for a ski bag and then increase your max allowance to 32Kilos. Even under the new rules this shouldn't be too difficult to cope with.
latest report
Swiss used to fly from newcastle pre-9/11 I think.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BA are now charging for a second bag to go in the hold on their short haul, but strangely one item of sports equipment is still taken free of charge. I have just booked flights in December to Geneva, just under £42 (of which £40 was taxes ETC) per head return and the skis go FREE!
snow report
Dunk wrote:
BA are now charging for a second bag to go in the hold on their short haul

I couldn't find any info on this - do you have a link?
snow report
It only appears to be on domestic routes:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb
latest report
Quote:

It only appears to be on domestic routes:
another hammer blow to Scottish skiing!
ski holidays
I'm off to Berlin on Wednesday with easyjet and it will be interesting to see how they handle this one.

We booked months ago and have already printed boarding cards, we were hoping to travel with just hand baggage when there were no retrictions. I wonder if they will now try to charge us to take our hand baggage on board.

We'll still be travelling as we intended baggage wise, as it appears from their website that there are no restrictions at all on flights from Germany back to the UK.

Anyone explain that one ?
ski holidays
bladeskier, you will have to obey UK government rules, so:

The following items are NOT PERMITTED in your cabin baggage:

Drinks
• Any drinks in cans, bottles, plastic containers, cardboard cartons, etc

Cosmetics and toiletries
• All consumable cosmetics and toiletries (solids and liquids), eg:
- Soaps
- Creams
- Lipsticks or lip balms
- Mascara
- Toothpaste
- Talcum powder
- Hairspray and other aerosol items
- Deodorants
- Sun tanning products
- Bottles of contact lens solution

Food
• Any liquid-based food products in packets, tubes, plastic or tin containers
• Pasta or any other foodstuffs in sauces, gravies or other liquids
• Jams and syrups
• Sauces
• Pastes
• Yoghurts
• Soups (carton or otherwise)
• Stews
• Curry

Writing implements
• Spare cartridges for fountain pens

Smoking materials
• Cigarette lighters
• Non safety matches

The following items ARE PERMITTED in your cabin baggage:

Drinks
• Empty containers such as flasks and mugs

Cosmetics and toiletries
• Sanitary towels and tampons
• Non-consumable cosmetics and toiletries, eg:
- Combs
- Cotton Wool
- Fully disposable razors/razor cartridges
- Toothbrushes
- Disposable contact lenses in sealed packaging, sufficient for flight (ie one or two pairs)
- Non-disposable contact lenses in carrier with small amount of solution (but not bottles of solution)

Food
• Sandwiches
• Crisps
• Fruit
• Vegetables
• Other solid foods

Writing implements
• Biros, rollerball pens, gel pens
• Fountain pens with single, open cartridge in use (but no refills)
• Pencils

Baby milk/baby food
• Empty containers such as empty bottles beakers or flasks
• Baby milk (if tasted by the passenger)
• Sterilised baby water (if tasted by the passenger)
• Baby juice (if tasted by the passenger)
• Baby food in liquid, gel or paste form (if tasted by the passenger)
• Baby food powder (need not be tasted)

Smoking materials
• Cigarettes
• Cigars
• Rolling tobacco
• Cigarette papers
• A single book or box of safety matches

====================================

Gatwick today was being quite strict on enforcing the size regulation.
They are also doing shoe scans, and taking laptops out of bags.
snow report
Further info here:
from the DFT
and here:
from Easyjet
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, whoah there ! Thanks for that !

We had resigned ourselves to having to check the bags into the hold on the way out.

I know different airports have different policies, but I remain mystified as to why BAA are so strict when it appears there are no restrictions at all on a flight originating from Germany.

I thought we were all Europeans now wink wink
latest report
bladeskier, because it's the Home Office that have brought in these rules, not the airlines, airports or the EEC.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, does the "any items purchased after Security can be taken on board" override the prohibitions e.g can you buy a bottle of pop airside and take it on the plane?
ski holidays
ben wright, provided you're not going to the US, yes.
snow report
(I don't know what the exact rules are for the US, but for other flights, see the image I posted... "Any items purchase after Security can be taken on board")
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy