Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in Early Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Recently joined the forum and am hoping you guys might be able to help me with a conundrum!

I am trying to arrange a group holiday for the first weekend in Jan 2007, with abilities ranging from almost expert to complete beginners. Austria seems to be evryones favourite choice, but I've heard warnings of a poor snow history for early January. Is this the case? Can you recommend any resorts which 'should' be ok? We're looking to book early to save some money so know we're going to be in the hands of the weather god regardles!!

We ended up in Soldeu this year and were blessed with perfect conditions, so any other resorts/country recommendations would be warmly received...

many thanks, andy.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thatmanwoody, welcome to snowHeads. The first week in January is probably the quietest week of the season, so leaving the booking to the last minute might give you the chance to pick up a bargain as well as choosing where has the best snow. Unless you had a very large group of particularly fussy about resort and choice of accommodation, I'd be tempted to leave it as late as you can before booking.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.. am thinking the same tbh.. am just a bit concerned as we had to split the group between el tarter and soldeu this year as was limited availability, altho that was in March and not Jan. If that part of Jan is usually quiet then hopefully we'll be ok.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you cant book late then you might want to book a resort that has a glacier to guarantee skiing. Zell am Zee or Kaprun have a glacier nearby (which isnt lift linked) and there is also the Hintertux Glacier in the Zillervalley.

However, i i agree with rob@rar.org.uk that booking late may be the best option.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went jan 2nd w/end in jan last year and was great conditions - schladming seem to make good use of their 100% snowmaking! Jan is usually cold so just look for lots of snowmaking cannons. Schladming great for novice and intermediates btw, just not sure about true beginners as never visited the nursery slopes etc.

aj xx
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For beginners through to intermediates I've been to and enjoyed the Skiwelt:- Soll, Scheffau, Brixen, Westendorf etc but the experts wouldn't be impressed. Snow cover should be OK by then but they do make extensive use of snowmaking if not.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thatmanwoody, of the European countries, Austria has probably had the best snow-record for early season conditions in recent years, so if that historic trend continues you would have no problems at all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi thatmanwoody, welcome to snowHeads!

We've been to Austria the last couple of years at the beg of Jan and have had no probs at all with snow (Bad Hofgastein and Saalbach).

If you are intending to go on a package with a TO, staying in a hotel, then I would advise you not to book last minute and to book as soon as poss. The UK TOs seem to have very limited room availability - their brochures may have plenty of hotels in lots of resorts but they may only be allocated a few rooms in each hotel. If you look on say Inghams website and check for availability you can see how many rooms are left in a hotel.

If you're not going with a tour operator then ignore my last para!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys for all the replies!!

Am now a little torn as to what to do!! leave to the last minute, or take advantage of the offers out there at the moment and pray for the white stuff. I guess it's for my group to make their mind up (democracy.. only because it's me that will get shot otherwise!!) Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thatmanwoody, any ski resort in the northern hemisphere should have decent snow in early January so don't worry about booking somewhere now to take advantage of any discounts that might be available and worry that you'll end up somewhere with no snow.

If you're really worried, just check the amount of slopes that are covered by snow-cannons - areas covered are usually shown on piste-maps.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 4-09-06 18:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thatmanwoody, we did Montafon valley (Schruns) this year in early Jan. Conditions fine and plenty of sunshine. However I would warn that runs for absolute beginners were limited. The area is easy to get to. Ryanair to Friedrichshafen, then direct train (or one change).
Plenty of other resorts closeby that may appeal to the beginners.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thatmanwoody wrote:
Thanks guys for all the replies!!

Am now a little torn as to what to do!! leave to the last minute, or take advantage of the offers out there at the moment and pray for the white stuff. I guess it's for my group to make their mind up (democracy.. only because it's me that will get shot otherwise!!) Puzzled

That's the key thing, what the group wants to do. If they want the peace of mind that somewhere is booked now and take a gamble on snow records then so be it, if they're happy to take a chance on a last minute booking and go with the snow then do that. I don't organise my group, I leave that hassle to someone else but we get together and basically put it to a vote, that way there's no one individual in the firing line should something go wrong.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thatmanwoody,
Personal opinion is that, as above Austria does not have a particularly poor snow record in early Jan but in a bad year you may be unlucky and get pretty scrappy snow and be relying on artifcial. I like booking late where I can and as rob says at this time availability is rarely a problem. But if you have a very large group or need to fly from a small regional airport with few departures there is something to be said for booking early.
Resorts I would consider booking in advance for a mixed group with a decent snow record include Lech, Ischgl and Obertauern.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've always go to Lech in early January and have never had bad snow - sometimes too much. There is a lot of off piste for experts, plenty cruising for intermediates and a great beginners area with easy runs above Oberlech to progress to. The ski school is 2nd to none. They will push you. The only downside to Lech is that it is 95% above the tree line and in snowy weather I find the visiblity quite poor. But, very pretty! The apres bar outside the Tannbergerhof is quite jolly - they play the same music tape every year. We've always stayed in the Arlberg but I believe the Haldenhof is nice and there are some lovely looking apartments called 'Filomena'.
Obergurgl is good for snow and beginners, but I would think experts might struggle to find enough to do. We went there as 2nd and 3rd week skiers in December/Jan. Good umbrella bar outside the Eidelweiss and Gurgl. Good ski in/out hotel.
This year, I quite fancy going to Ischgl in early Jan - but it doesn't look a beginners resort.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
erica2004,
Don't know if you were referring to my post but I mentioned Obertauern not Obergurgl. snowHead
It is a while since I went to Ischgl but I remember them having some gentle skiing that beginners may enjoy. A mixed group may be better staying at Galtur and the better skiers going down the road to Ischgl but then they could not meet up till after skiing.
ski holidays
T Bar, No..great minds nearly think alike. Very Happy I haven't been to Obertauern - is it good?
ski holidays
HI

Only done one winter admittedly but early january was the best skiing of the season, piles of snow, blue skies etc etc...
It all depends on what the group want from the resort/accommodation as well.

Good luck

Deb
latest report
erica2004 wrote:
T Bar, No..great minds nearly think alike. Very Happy I haven't been to Obertauern - is it good?
I think so.. and damn easy to get to as well.. make sure you like the following songs though..

1. Love generation
2. Hey!! do what the iceman says
3. ......... centimetres.. (not sure what the number is)

you will hear all of them 5 times every night at least

also if you go boozing in the bars at the top of the edelwiess run, dont leave anything breakable on the tables as a lady in ski boots will almost certainly crush them dancing on it.. and possibly your fingers if you dont pay attention Shocked
snow report
thatmanwoody, didnt do a ski season this year did you?
snow report
Many thanks again guys for all ur suggestions. Given me plenty of food for thought.

And no.. didn't do a ski season.. not for lack of trying tho!! Very Happy
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, It's zwanzig (20)!!!
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, Puzzled i don't know any of those songs
ski holidays
hilary t, whats that in inches.. ?
erica2004, you will .. you will
ski holidays
thatmanwoody, we are regulars in Andorra but got a last minute in Jan this year. We ended up in Austria and the conditions were fantastic - a metre of snow at the airport in Salzburg ! Wait till the last minute if you can and see what conditions are like - you should still be able to get booked. We had a great time and are looking to do similar this year - Austria or La Rosiere in January ! Snowbird doesnt know yet so dont tell her !
snow conditions
I've been to Austria in early January 3 times and have never had problems with snow, I've been to Soll, Kitzbuhel and Mayrhofen which were quite low resorts, no problems whatsoever! snowHead

Where did you end up at Smokin Joe? I never asked at the bash!
snow report
thatmanwoody, we have been in early Jan the last 2 years (kirchberg and Solden), and both times the snow has been great
snow report
erica2004,
Quote:

I haven't been to Obertauern - is it good?

Like CC I really enjoyed it didn't do the Apres though as I was with family. Have heard the Zwanzig centimetres at St Anton in the Mooserwirt many times though. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy