Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes for Dec family ski hol?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been to Val d'Isere/Tignes about 15 years ago, now wondering if it would make a decent place for early-ish December family ski holiday (2 kids 9 & 11 can both ski okay - red runs okay, not blacks really yet).

I'm looking at Tignes really 'cause it sems to be cheapish for an appartment. Truthfully prefer the atmosphere of Austria over French purpose built resorts but budget will be limited this year Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Talking about budget, from what i know, Austria tends to be cheaper than the big french resorts! St.Anton and Saalbach are both quite expensive, but resorts like Soll are great value for money.

Unfortunately i can't help you when it comes to Tignes.

EDIT: just realised you are wanting to go early December, so i would not recommend Soll as it is quite low. Obviously no one can predict where the early snow will be, but last year it was actually much better in the Austrian resorts than in the higher French ones. A good bet would always be Val Thorens though as it is very high, and is not overly pricey.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roberto, I took my 5yr olds there for 2 weeks last season (their 3rd&4th weeks on skis) - the runs were no prob, they skied most of the blues and many reds on the Tignes side and some on the Val side. Early December? Not that many places to choose from anyway! Should be as good as any and there's always the glacier. Cheap apartments shouldn't be a problem - the place is full of them! snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
roberto, generally you should be fine. Usual caveats apply. If It's a good year, everything is likely to be open, if not, well, that's snow for you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roberto, for what it is worth, I was there in feb with my family - we stayed in Le lac. My 9 year old was fine with it. I think that last year wasn't a good year for early snow so hope that this year compensates for you.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes can be a bit bleak if the weather is poor in December. On the other hand, its altitude can help if snow is scare at lower elevations. Are you able to wait until last minute and then book where the snow is best? You might be able to pick up a discounted package holiday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all.

I'll be very fixed to the 16-23 Dec because of hols. Restricted by dates 'cause of kids and cannot afford to go half term (don't like the queues then anyway!).

Perhaps I can leave it to the last minute as don't think it is a super-popular week?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roberto wrote:
Perhaps I can leave it to the last minute as don't think it is a super-popular week?

You should have a wide choice of accommodation as that week is generally very quiet compared to the following two weeks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shouldn't have any problems finding something last minute for that week (I managed to find plenty for half-term week last year). I used ski-oasis.com (which doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but was a few weeks ago).

Tignes should be a good bet, with the glacier (and altitude to an extent), but if you leave it late you can see where the snow actually is, rather than where it's likely to be.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
if it is cold in Tignes it is very cold - of course that means good snow generally we found it fine when we were there
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if it is cold in Tignes it is very cold - of course that means good snow generally we found it fine when we were there
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kieran, I didn't catch that? what happens if it is cold in Tignes wink ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roberto, Leave it to the last minute, we booked well in advance for a week last Christmas and the conditions were poo-poo to say the very least. It was very very cold, queue Kieran Toofy Grin , very little snow and quite a few pistes shut - and there should have been more!!

However, it was a lot better than being at home and we did get some skiing in which is the important bit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy