Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski with some sun Christmas or new year 06/07

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Looking for a place with a likelihood (no guarantees expected) of reasonable snow but weather capable of mountain lunches outside, this Christmas or New Year.
Any nominations for resorts ?
Any views on Sierra Nevada ?

---for the detail if anybody wants it--
Party of 4 (2 parents two young teens) intermediate skiers, two teens will also be starter boarders.
Preference is for share of catered chalet or half board in a hotel (time of year) .
Flying from Midlands.

Party may grow as others hear.

Cheers

John
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Owens88,

Would you consider N. America?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Johnboy

Probably not N.America. Though if I could find a 10-day deal I might consider it.

I have previously been advised that N.American resorts are generally even colder than European ones, month for month. Is that incorrect?

P.s. We visited Antrim this May. It is an excellent place.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The last thing you want at Xmas is sun as it probably means the snow base isn't too good. If you must go somewhere low with ggod snowmaking but just don't complain if ski conditions aren't up to much. Switzerland was very sunny in January but snow cover was sparse.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpe d'Huez always has lots of sun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain lunches outside? In late December?? Wrap up warm! Snow conditions will be largely down to luck, even in resorts with plenty of sno-cannon. They only work when its cold, which is in direct opposition to sunny-lunch weather.

If you want to book ahead (rather than leave it till the last minute) go for somewhere with a glacier to guarantee some skiing, but with lower south-facing slopes for catching the rays if the sun comes out. Crans-Montana maybe?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
THanks all. BTW I didn't mean sunbathing.

Its just that there is a big bonus in sitting on a terrace with the coat undone a bit and seeing a view while you eat, compared to squeezing into a full hut because it is seriously FREEZING outside.
The hut will often be smoke-filled, i.e the exact opposite of good air and a good view.

Cheers

John

p.s. I also know that conditions will vary anyway. e.g. Consecutive yrs in pyrenees. One melting slush below half way, one b*** freezing and extremely windy to the extent of 2 days cancelled !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Owens88, Val Gardena in Italy has a good rep for early season snow-making, and one side of the valley is south-facing. I've not been myself but you may wish to consider it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Owens88,

The town of Antrim is nothing special. The coastline of the county is beautiful though, especially when we get the weather like this summer. There is nowhere better.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Owens88, Do you have to go at Christmas ? Most anywhere will have good cover and sun at Easter.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Owens88, there's just no pleasing some folk: you want good snow, and sunshine and somewhere to eat outside... wink

I know what you mean, I love my sunny lunches although in early season I'd want to be inside 'cos it were cold enough that my nice lunch would go cold itself before I finished it..

So,...I'm not convinced the Snowheads collaborative mind has modelled global weather sufficiently well to give you a firm answer!

Recent years snow fall (especially early season) has defeated all predictability (at least if the variance I've experienced is any marker).

I'd make my usual recommendations: Portes du Soleil (cos at least there's loads of good restaurants), Chamonix (because I am obliged to), Champoluc (snowmaking provided it's cold enough) - might be a little restrictive for the teens (although at least they won't get arrested for hanging round in Pachamama with the jailbait - unlike, probably, myself).

Cervinia or Courmayeur might be an option? Glacier in Cervinia anyway, snowmaking, Italian, reasonably sized town, reasonable Italian food? Very busy for New Year week typically though...

As usual, height may hedge your snow bets: Verbier, Val d'Isere, Etc. I'm not a firm believer in making those assumptions for early season however.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnboy wrote:
Owens88,

The town of Antrim is nothing special. The coastline of the county is beautiful though, especially when we get the weather like this summer. There is nowhere better.

I meant co.Antrim. Portrush and the coast nearby.

Cheers
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch wrote:
Owens88, there's just no pleasing some folk: you want good snow, and sunshine and somewhere to eat outside... ;-)

I know what you mean, I love my sunny lunches although in early season I'd want to be inside 'cos it were cold enough that my nice lunch would go cold itself before I finished it..

This place has been great for throwing up some ideas and warnings. I don't necessarily mean a lonnggg lunch outside, though I have 'rested' like that in Andorra.

I like Chamonix. Will look at the others that have been mentioned esp the Italian ones. May re-visit the N.America option as the idea is growing on me.

Nobody mentioned Sierra Nevada (Spain)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski wrote:
Owens88, Do you have to go at Christmas ? Most anywhere will have good cover and sun at Easter.

Fair question. We have skiied at Easter and at feb half term in previous years. Feb half term is becoming expensive (apart from if we use French Pyrenees in pur own place, but I owe the kids a year in a resort). Easter has often been great and may be a top up in the Pyrenees anyway.

Christmas and/or new year fits the work schedule this year.

Thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Owens88, this area (Les Oisans) has an average 300 days of sunshine a year. Therefore I suggest you think seriously about it. ADH is high (1800m in resort) and has lots of south facing slopes. LDA is not so high in resort (1650) but we have a glacier, so you're guaranteed to be able to ski regardless. Serre Chevalier (which isn't strictly in Les Oisans, but close) is much lower, and I would think a bit iffy for Christmas (but I'll get shouted down by the SC residents no doubt). All the restaurants have terraces, and many here have perspex shields against the wind, so you might be able to eat outside - just don't try anything hot! Plenty for teens in both ADH and LDA, and I can put you in touch with a good snowboard instructor.

PM me if you want more info Very Happy Very Happy Welcome to Snowheads
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Owens88, Serre Chevalier (which isn't strictly in Les Oisans, but close) is much lower, and I would think a bit iffy for Christmas (but I'll get shouted down by the SC residents no doubt). ctor.

s

sure will sweety! But the reason is for the last two years we had better snow than either 2 alpes or adh!!!!

Ok admittedly the year before last christmas was about the only time we did have good snow, but last year it was just awesome the rest of the year.
Last year all 3 resorts were struggling for snow till the day before new year, and being higher didn't seem to make any difference at all!!

At all 3 resorts with a weeks pass you get passes to both the other resorts and a fair few others that are closer to serre che, which at least means you can go elsewhere if the snow isn't that brill.
latest report
Quote:

But the reason is for the last two years we had better snow than either 2 alpes or adh!!!!

Ooh you fibber! I worked there 2004/05 and the snow was non-existant. Meanwhile, it was too cold to sustain human life and consequently I got nowhere near my bar target because the terrace was uninhabitable.

Fond though I am of Serre Che, you have to admit that its snow record is a tad dodgy.
snow report
Owens88, I've only ever been to Sierra Nevada in April, but it's pretty exposed with no trees and can get windy with subsequent lift closures. It's pretty high too so I suspect it can get quite cold. There aren't that many mountain restaurants so it could get cramped inside. It's a great place for beginners and early intermediates but risky because of the high winds etc. It's better to go in the spring.

You could look at the Ziller Valley in Austria. The main resort in Mayrhofen, but the lift pass covers a large number of resorts including a glacier. You have slopes in all directions and lots of restaurants, some of them a quite large so if you are stuck inside they tend not to get too busy.

We went to Bad Gastein last new year and we had loads of snow the first 3 days but when the sun finally came out we managed to have a couple of lunches outside. You have to eat the food quickly though! It's a nice spa town with a thermal swimming complex and some good hotels. Good intermediate skiing also. They also had a big snowboarding competition (part of the World Cup circuit) when we were there.

I understand your concerns about smoky restaurants as I really dislike that too. I found having a later lunch on snowy days was better.
snow conditions
Owens88, As you will now have gathered , most folks here have their favourite resorts and some even manage to have 2/3/4th homes there and one or two even live there so I might as well add my 2 -pennyworth as well.

Vested interest --- I live in the South of France.

The Alpes Maritime have a number of resorts ( Isola 2000, Valberg, Auron ) and Hautes Alpes ( Rissoul , Puy St Vincent ) which MAY fit your requirements --- Valberg and Isola in particular seem to have more 'sunny' days than most BUT there is absolutely no guarantee of snow. This last year they were better off than just about anywhere outside Austria but this coming year .... who knows.

BTW - I will not be going to either over Xmas as I would prefer snow to sun ... so I will be going elsewhere Cool rolling eyes
snow report
We had a fab Christmas week last year staying catered in Courchevel 1650. At that time of year I'd go for altitude and snow, with sun being a bonus. We ate outside, bagging, early, tables facing the sun and closest to the restaurant. Don't remember being cold! I'm considering La Plagne for this Christmas, high and sunny.
latest report
noodle, welcome to snowHead s
snow report
Owens88, Sierra Nevada is a better choice for march or even for April, when there´s good weather, lots of snow and less people.

In an average December you won´t have more than 1/4 of the slopes open, and it would take a miracle to have the best part of the resort, Laguna de las Yeguas, open.

In Spain you should think about Baquiera, by Christmas it´s normal to have 100% of the resort open.
ski holidays
Owens88 wrote:
Hi Johnboy

Probably not N.America. Though if I could find a 10-day deal I might consider it.

I have previously been advised that N.American resorts are generally even colder than European ones, month for month. Is that incorrect?

P.s. We visited Antrim this May. It is an excellent place.

For snowconditions early North America cannot be beat. My experience is with Colorado, USA. All resorts are open at the end of November (Thanksgiving), and snow conditions are generally good.

Especially Winter Park, Breckenridge, Vail, Steamboat and Keystone are great before Christmas. Keystone grooms the slopes extremely much, which means that the base is fantastic early season, though I personally prefer less groomed places later in the season. At Christmas all the mentioned resorts have good snow, as do the other Colorado resorts. Copper Mountain to me is an excemption, as there are many sharp rocks sticking through, why I don't like to visit before end of january
latest report
Thanks all.
snow report
Lunch outside at Christmas? Go south.
Sierra Nevada (either range, Spain or California). Arizona, New Mexico.
Troodos (Cyprus), Etna (Sicily), High Atlas (Morocco), or Parnassos (Greece).
In Italy, Sestola (near Bologna), Abetone in Tuscany, or one of the resorts further south, like Roccaraso (between Rome and Naples - http://www.goski.com/resorts/itrocca/resort_welcome.html?cntry_or_state=find&rorc=italy&from=state&bc=RIR )
And there's always the Lebanon or the Golan Heights if you're feeling adventurous.

Or you could just go to the Alps, Pyrenees or Rockies and hope for a mild spell.
snow conditions
Many thanks all.

We did actually attract a very good 'snowheads offer' but after due consideration we may take the advice to do sun at Christmas and Ski in Feb.

Lotys of good ideas for us to research for Feb though.

Thanks again

John
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy