Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What length of hire ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am happy hiring skis at the moment, but one question that I struggle with is what length of ski should I ask for? I seem to hear so much conflicting advice on this.

I have skied about 15 weeks in all and am happy on all pistes and do a little off piste (typically near the edge of the piste), I enjoy skiing fast on blues and easier reds. I enjoy moguls, but am not so keen on bumps/jumps. I am 1.75 tall and will weigh about 85kg.

What about Mrs Z? She doesn’t go as fast and will probably stick to reds. She is 1.55m tall and weighs 50kg. She was given 150 one luv’s last time, but felt they were too long.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro, Fid a good Rental operation or shop, take the ski, if it doen't please you, take it back and swap it. If you dont want to keep going beck the length of ski will depend on the programme. Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what length of ski would you offer us if we came to your shop? I have had 160's last few times and they seemed fine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, 200cm long, 104 in the waist! Laughing

You, 174-178ish

Mrs Z: 154-162cm

Both all montain Dynastar 8000/B3 type of ski. We'd then change the ski to try and give more of what you need. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, so that is skis that are taller than each of us.

This is why I get confused as I thought that current thinking was ski length somewhere between eyebrows and chin Confused
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Ray Zorro, depends on the ski and the type of skiing as well as the basic dimensions of the skier.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro, Easy turning, forgiving piste skis born from slalom type geometry, yes short is fun. You and i have similar stats and i ski a slalom derived ski in 165cm. I ski pure off piste around 180/190cm and all mountain/freestyle 177/182cm. Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I just checked out the S & R suggestion on their website and they came up with a 176 B3 as a first choice from the info that I entered.

Same as you Toofy Grin

surprisingly (to me anyway) they didn’t ask my height on their interactive selection.

On reflection, I have never been asked my weight in a hire shop, but they have always held the skis up against me to check the length against my height.

This is why I have been confused.

Thanks for that though - it makes a bit of sense.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, Does that make me a perfect cadidate to work at S+R? Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy