Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets For Children

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like the soon to be 2 year old will be up on skis this season and we need to get a helmet for him. Can anyone recommend a good brand/model for that age?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All my little cousins have always worn Cebe helmets. My uncles a fussy git so Id imagine theyre pretty good!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whatever fits.... however my youngest loves his R.E.D. - not sure if you can get the over here...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sherlock, 2 years is very young indeed for skis, but good luck to the kid! Any poodling about between 2 and 4 years will be at very low speeds, virtually no risk of head injury. Any helmet, or no helmet, would probably be fine at that age.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sherlock Chalets, I was thinking along the lines of b]David Goldsmith[/b] (only, 2 sounds about the right age to me Twisted Evil ) When I've seen kids around the age of 3 or 4 skiing it appears that it is physically impossible for them to fall over when they're on skis - certainly in a fashion that might cause head injury.

*parlor ducks, just in case*

Of course it would be sensible to make them wear them as soon as they start being around other people that might hit them.

According to my parents, who started me skiing at 4, they got me a helmet at 6. Deeply uncool at the time. They made me wear it until I was 10 or 11. I think it was for my mums peace of mind, I was a dare devil when I was a child.

I went back to wearing a helmet full time around 6 years ago mind, and now I always ski in lid, this season I'm adding a full face helmet for the days I'm feeling devilish Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IMHO I wouldn't buy a helmet for a kid, they grow out of them too quick.

Every place I've hired skis for my kids has helmets as part of the package.

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor, Sorry to disagree, but they do frequently fall, usually backwards in exaggerated snowplow and hit the back of their head, or they get whacked by a chair or t-bar which their heads are at the right height for, or by another slope user. Both mine also seem to like trees, and have done since age 3... And their skulls and brains are a bit less resilient. I personally think no one under the age of 16 should be allowed to ski/board without a lid, after that they can make up their own mind...

[edit] I used to agree with gregh, but I am not sure you know enough about the impact history of helmets which are available in hire shops, and given what is said about Motorcycle lids, suspect that is important. If you start with your first kid, you can probably get 2 years of usage per lid for each kid, which makes it pretty cheap.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 31-08-06 15:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother, Totally agree. Helmets should be compulsory for all kids. Falling isn't always the issue it is people knocking into them etc.

Come to think of it I reckon helmets should be mandatory all round - bit like seatbelts. Whatever the age.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
See http://www.lidsonkids.org/home.asp
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sherlock Chalets, they all need to meet the same standards so not much to choose in terms of safety other than their fit. And the only way of knowing that is to try them on, so I'd say go to a couple or a few big shops with lots to try and find one that fits snugly and is comfortable. Be interested to know if you'll easily find one to fit a 2yr old though! The other stuff like design, decals, built-in speakers etc are imho very secondary. The only other important feature in my view is having some kind of ventilation system.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

I personally think no one under the age of 16 should be allowed to ski/board without a lid, after that they can make up their own mind...

Mouth,

go to Italy and anyone under 14 has to wear a helmet ...its the law!!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good job I ducked!

I love to see kids in helmets. They look like characters from South Park.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sherlock Chalets, sorry to be all grown up and stuff, but is it really 2 years since the wife dropped the little chalet?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sherlock Chalets, Can anyone recommend a good brand/model for that age?

my girls both have helmets (ages 6 & 4) we bought giro helmets from s&r because of the micro adjustment system - and both helmets fit beautifully. There are 2 types of helmet that I am aware of (pls. ignore if you know this already!) 'in-mould' (newer, v.light and have good ventilation) along the lines of cycling helmets & the traditional heavier 'cap construction'. hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BTW I found this a useful site for info whilst kitting out the kids. We ended up with a Cebe, a Scott and a Dianese - entirely down to fit. Much easier of course if you have an industry standard shaped head. Just like boots. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Head (the company) have some interesting helmets out there, they use a ratchet adjustment system to make them fit a variety of head shapes, good prices too. best to find a shop with a big selection
latest report
NOW WERE ONTO MY PET SUBJECT!!!!!

Ok, to answer the thread first - our 5yr old has used a UVEX from 3 yrs old and recently gone to Salomon, but as someone else said, tis whatever fits (and please make sure it does fit properly as its useless if it flops about).

Now onto my pet subject....

Would you get on a motorbike and do 40 mph without a helmet????
How bout cars? Seatbelts are LAW here in the UK as are motorbike helmets - think they're onto something there????
I knew a ward sister that has seen more than her fair share of head related injury's and she said it should be MANDATORY that any sport involving speed of any kind should wear helmets.
I have worn helmets on the slopes for many years and will continue to do so, none more than now i'm in the freestyle parks!!!!!

Buy helmets, be safe and enjoy your sport for many years I say!

A
ski holidays
Given that kids to have a horrible habit of growing up very quickly, it's not the time to be a brand snob - any helmet that fits and carries a CE mark is going to do the job. (That's what CE marks are there to do for you.)

Personally, I'd check out Decathlon, if you can get to one - they are very switched on to providing good value kids safety equipment.

Save the money for the stick on ears, etc - which will do more than anything else to ensure that the kid enjoys wearing the helmet.

And it makes it easier for you to find them...
ski holidays
Quote:

Given that kids to have a horrible habit of growing up very quickly, it's not the time to be a brand snob - any helmet that fits and carries a CE mark is going to do the job. (That's what CE marks are there to do for you.)

There are three main standards:

Snell - the best but apparently no helmet manufacturer now make to this standard
ASTM F2040- American standard, better criteria than the European Standard
CEN - The CE 1077 European Standard - this is the most basic of all the standards - designed for ski racers in the 1980's.

So if you can, go for a helmet with the ASTM F2040 standard. Any American made helmet should be to this standard.

snowHead
snow report
All the info you could ever want:

http://www.telemarktips.com/Helmets.html

I use Giro Bad Leiutenant which conforms to the ASTM F2040 standard as do all RED helmets

Hope that helps

A
ski holidays
adam_button wrote:
NOW WERE ONTO MY PET SUBJECT!!!!!

Would you get on a motorbike and do 40 mph without a helmet????

A

No. But what's that got to do with skiing?

I have a Navman sat thingy that I wore all last season, and apart from one or two schusses, my speed was mostly under 25 mph. This is on a smooth, forgiving surface where the traffic is pretty much one-way, and consists of mostly soft bodies (as opposed to Cars Buses and HGV's coming at me at a combined speed of well over 60). I ALWAYS wore a helmet when I rode a bike but simply don't see the need when I'm pootling about on blues and reds, and (very) occasionally scaring myself silly on a mild black Very Happy If you wanna wear one, that's fine, but personally I like the freedom to chose not to. Smile
latest report
Read the info on the link above your reply, may change your mind.

Average skier speed can be as much as 37mph! hence the comparison, also trees are hard imoveable objects.

Your quite welcome to have your choice, thats the democratic world we live in Madeye-Smiley

A
snow report
adam_button, Ok watched the video, and I agree, you'd have to be a nutcase NOT to wear a helmet if that is your idea of skiing!

But I don't ski ANYTHING REMOTELY like that. no vertical descents, no leaping from rock to rock, and no competitive stuff. That guy's skiing bears as much relevance to what I do on holiday as formula one does to my drive to work in the morning. (I don't wear a helmet for that either Very Happy).
ski holidays
Thanks for the information - we will be getting him his own helmet as we don't really want to trust a hire one that could have been bashed about without us knowing. Also price is not a problem as we value the safety of our son more than saving a few pennies.
snow report
For children it is hard to get a better helmet than the Giro ricochet, well priced, adjustable in size over a large range, and fits better than most other brands.
ski holidays
whitethorn, is it adjustable in head shape fit too?
snow conditions
slikedges, we've got a giro richochet and it has a micro adjustment thing at the back of the helmet, it's a really good helmet & kids think they look good too!
snow report
slikedges, yes the adjustment takes in the head shape at the same time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
whitethorn, rpft@rpft.co.uk, I like! Each of my three have different shaped heads!! We're not looking right now but no doubt will be by just before the family trip in March!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy