Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming - Hotel Mitterhofer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've booked flights to Salzburg in mid-Jan and have decided on Schladming because it is a direct, short train journey, plus it has our skiing requirements of a relatively extensive piste area and intermediate terrain.

It's just 2 of us so we are not bothered about loads of nightlife. Hotel Mitterhofer looks good for us with a some decent facilities, 4 star and the location is described as 3 mins (walk) from Planai and Hochwurzen lifts and 10 mins from town centre. There aren't any actual photos, just drawings so I presume it's brand new.

Has anyone been to Schladming recently and can they verify that it is a brand new hotel. Any views on location would be welcomed. The hotel web site price is €65 each HB per night which is about our budget. Other hotels such as the Post and Sport Hotel were more expensive.

Web site is:

www.mitterhofer.at

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hayley t,
Quote:
Das Haus wird durch einen Anbau vergrößert, der Bestand umgebaut und damit auf die 4 Stern Kategorie angehoben!

Rough translation : The house is bein enlarged via an extension, and the existing house is being renovated in order to raise it to 4 star category!

So the place is a building site right now which is the reason they only have drawings. Looks good though. Hope it's ready by Jan.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HI hayley t,

I was there in March but didn't notice that hotel but it looks good on the website .. we stayed in the Neue Post which is right ion the main square and about a 10 minute walk to the lifts for about 50€ HB pppn.

Careful on the way back on the train .. one of our party (won't mention any names as he posts on here) went back a day before the rest of us so got the train but managed to get it going in the wrong direction .... after realizing his mistake it took a 200€ cab ride from Steiermark Idrning into get to the airport in time.

........... if your train stops at Haus, you're going the wrong way !!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Lawrie, thanks, I saw the old house but couldn't quite figure out the translation. It's due to open in November and I'm assuming that the Austrians will meet the deadline with the aim of opening for the 06/07 season. They are usually pretty efficient! I suppose if they don't make it, the resort won't be that busy in mid Jan and alternative accommodation shouldn't be too difficult to come by.

RichA, thanks for the tip. We should be ok as we spent a summer travelling around Europe by train and managed to go in the right direction and not end up back at Ashford! Just in case, we'll make sure we're not hungover! I bet that was to blame!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a long way out of town actually and not very convienient IMO, I would guess thats why it's cheap. The main lift is actually off the right hand side of their map - past hauptplatz which is the town center. The lifts it's 3 mins walk from are the dodgy ones at rohrmoos, not the nice cable car and main bus stop (planai seilbahn) - I say dodgy as they are very very old - one is a one seater! They start and stop in odd places too - I used them one day and after that avoided them as I found them rather frightening and very slow...That said if you don't mind catching the bus you are right by the bus stop I think and the hotels at that end are quite nice, very quiet and nearer the rail station. The lifts are fine, just not the most convienient. The alte post etc are in the town centre (hauptplatz) which is not great but not awful for lift access prob about a 5min walk, personally I preferred to stay at the b&bs around the base of the cable car (no hotel was that convienient!) The nice thing about the maistatt end is easy access to the tougher terrain on the two hills on the right hand side of the piste map, if you want to go the easy way (planai and haus) it's not so good. However I don't think there are any hotels (certainly not 4*) near the cable car - so the other posh hotels are probably less convienient.

Take a look at the map here: http://www.map2web.cc/link3/maink.php?fop=4431
which shows you the mitterdorf - zoom out (1) and go right to see town center(hauptplatz) and the seilbahn. Schladming isn't a very pretty town either and that is quite obvious at points along salzburger strasse - I'm not sure what your views will be like, there are some very lovely 60s concrete monstrosities somewhere along there!

If you aren't too attached to the concept of a hotel pm me and I'll send you details of the lovely b&b we used last year - literally 100m to the planai cable car, maybe less. They don't speak a lot of english(enough to do the basics, just not enough for conversation) but good breakfast, big rooms, quiet road, friendly and incredibly convienient.

Hope I haven't put you off - Schladming is a great place, and I'll definately be going back, just if you like ski in ski out type convienience you may want to look at the seilbahn end of town instead?

aj xx
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hotel Mitterhofer is a family owned house since 7 generations. They are making extencion works nearly every 10 years. Now the projekt makes them 4 stars. You can wach it at www.mitterhofer.at (construction diary)
They will end up theyr rebuilding works at the end of november. We are invited to the opening party on the 6th of december because we spend 6 times in the "old" Mitterhofer. We cannot wait to see the new house with 4 season heated swimming pool, lots of new sauna´s and a very modern bar and cafe. The service was always very nice and high quality. The standards are very good and the family is very nice.
The best is that they are build a new 8 seat gondola instead of this old chairlift and it is the most modern lift in the region then. www.goldenjet.at
It brings you up to planai (housemountain) in 8 minutes instead of 15 minutes. The ski bus is also passing the house, it is a compfortable 10 minutes walk to the city center and roland from the rental shop beside the ground station will help you in every situation.

The biggest highlight,.......don´t miss it,...........on 30th of january 2007 - men´s alpine worldcup NIGHTSLALOM on one of the hardest slopes in the alp´s (Planai Zielhang) with 50000 visitors in a small town with 4000 inhabitants. Gourgous party during 3 days on the longest party mile of a winter contest

Have fun in schladming - at Mitterhofer´s and sorry for my bad english!
Hiasi
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hiasi, servus hiasi. Dürfen wir annehmen das du Teil der Familie bist? Egal. Hoffe das Projekt wird rechtzeitig fertig. Viel Spass und willkommen bei den Schneekopferten.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hiasi, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oooh - in that case disregard my comments - if they are replacing the lifts with a jet (the best lifts in schladmin are all 'jet' and they are some of the best I've been in anywhere) then for skiing it's just become a fab location Happy It's still a little way out of 'town' but the hotel looks to have everything you'll need and the town isn't that big so only 10mins or so into town.

Let us know what you think as I'm planning to go back the season after next.

aj xx
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ajhainey, thanks for the info. Part of the reason for choosing this hotel is because we'll be arriving on a Monday and most hotels run Sat- Sat. I emailed them and got a reasonable quote for the standard and quality of the place with facilities etc. Plus we want half board and somewhere near the station as we'll be getting the train from Salzburg.

We're not worried about ski in/out, just as long as there is reasonable access to the slope. The new lift sounds great so I think we'll chance it and go for Mitterhoffer but I may have reconsidered had the old lift still been there - sounds dodgy! To be honest, our main trip is to Ischgl in March, so this trip we're looking for good, fairly quiet skiing with good links from Salzburg.

hiasi, thanks for the information and welcome to Snowheads.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy