Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you please help with picking the best resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I’m planning to book ski trip February half term with my son (12). Austria or Italy. I’m after plenty of red runs in a simple to navigate’ resort. My son last skied in 2020 so I will need to book ski school for him to get him used to it again. So enough blue runs for him. The plan is that I ski the reds on my own in the mornings and then spend afternoons skiing with my son on whatever slopes he can manage. Looking at package holidays at reasonable prices.
Can you please advise on any resorts that would fit these requirements? Many thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I went to St Johann in Tirol with my son (and non skiing husband) a few years ago and did exactly this, skied by myself and then met him. The resort is small enough that I could get back to him in ski school and occasionally spot him from a lift. A very family friendly town but enough to keep you occupied for a week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ischgl may be a good fit. Plenty of blues for your son on the Samnaun side and endless reds for you across the resort. Lift system is superb so easy to navigate.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We taught our girls to ski in Kappl, lots of blues, small resort , and if you want you can go to Ischgl for a day or two.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Re what @biddpyat, and @Henwc, have said, Kappl is especially great for different levels. Not a large amount of skiing in Kappl itself but the runs are long and all meet mid mountain and at the bottom. We found it great when the kids were still getting their skiing feet. Ischgl just up the road for loads of skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sticking to your preference for a package, using Crystal and ticking Gatwick for Sat 15 Feb, the following look enticing whilst meeting your needs:

- Saalbach, Hotel Panorama Landaus £3,152 total cost.
- Mayrhofen, lots available. I've not stayed in the town itself, the Mayrhofen experts here might advise?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis has huge array of reds and blues. Having skied Mayrhofen (lots) and Saalbach (a few times) I hought Fiss won hands down for my level of intermediateness.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think Ischgl is a great resort but finding a package at a reasonable price may be tricky it's not cheap.
I guess one persons easy to navigate is not the same as another . But being a pretty extensive lift system it's certainly not as straightforward as many smaller resorts.

Kappl is cheaper and easier to navigate though I'm not sure how easy it is to find a package, Galtur at the head of the valley is probably a bit cheaper than Ischgl and a lot easier to navigate and often has packages.

Pila has been getting a lot of recommendations for this type of holiday recently. I've not been but it sounds like it might fit the bill.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, Pila would suit - and might be less crowded at half term than some of the alternatives. And there are some quite inexpensive packages. Or if booking DIY, a very easy drive from Turin. But if your son is in morning lessons, probably more convenient to be in a hotel up at resort level, not down in Aosta, as the lift can be very busy early in the morning, and does take a while.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@T Bar, Agreed on Ischgl.

Being DIY focussed I didn't really take into account the reasonable prices part of the package request, packages do tend to be on the expensive side there.

I took the east to navigate request as it being quick and easy to get form one part of the resort to another (compared to something fragmented like Saas fee) but take your point that Ischgl is on the complex side because there are so many lifts linking it all together. They are good lifts though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Re Italy I have seen a lot of people finding good deals on packages to Cervinia this year.

I think Cervinia might be an option because it is a good resort for wide blue runs and easy reds. Plus there is more exciting stuff over in Zermatt, although there is a risk of the links closing in high winds for getting back.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Henwc wrote:
Re Italy I have seen a lot of people finding good deals on packages to Cervinia this year.

I think Cervinia might be an option because it is a good resort for wide blue runs and easy reds. Plus there is more exciting stuff over in Zermatt, although there is a risk of the links closing in high winds for getting back.

+1 for Cervina , Lots of blues and reds , slightly cheaper than Austria and even if the link to Zermatt is shut still plenty of skiing the Cervinia side
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow&skifan wrote:
Sticking to your preference for a package, using Crystal and ticking Gatwick for Sat 15 Feb, the following look enticing whilst meeting your needs:

- Mayrhofen, lots available. I've not stayed in the town itself, the Mayrhofen experts here might advise?

I'm not sure Mayrofen is the best resort for someone who only skis blue runs. The ones I saw were mostly flat windy paths that might be good for beginners but to progress they have to move up to the red pistes which are on the steep side.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowtunes wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:

I'm not sure Mayrofen is the best resort for someone who only skis blue runs. The ones I saw were mostly flat windy paths that might be good for beginners but to progress they have to move up to the red pistes which are on the steep side.

Yep, very much so. Mayrhofen is really good for wide motorway reds but there’s a real lack of blues, it’s very red heavy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy