Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestion required for a place to stay to take in a few resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi , we are travelling to Lyon on the 2nd and returning on 12 jan , my daughters 21st birthday .
We have a week booked in Val Thorne on 4 th to 11th . The idea is that we hire a car and get to ski 3 other resorts before heading to VT.
We have stayed in a Gite in Le Bourg-d’Oisans de osians before and skied alp du hey , chamrouse and Le grave before we did a week in mont genevre.
We were kind of thinking of doing the same route but I’m thinking there maybe somewhere else that’s down the bottom that’s close to a few resorts that we can drive to which may be a bit closer then both de osains . Any suggestions ? Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So 3 resorts in 3 days, 2nd, 3rd and 4th?
I trust you're getting into Lyon pretty early?

There are a lot of good spots in the Maurienne Valley which is one shove over from V de Belleville where VT is.
@ed_sec is yer man for advice round those parts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In *theory* (i.e., I don't know anyone who's done it, but Ed might), you can park at Orelle in the Maurienne and get the lifts over the top to Val Thorens (with luggage!), which could save some driving if you want to check out resorts down that way. See https://www.valthorens.com/en/acces-orelle-la-fulgurante-ascension/.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@admin, hi thanks , yes getting the 6.05 flight from Heathrow . So an afternoon in one resort on the 2nd is doable. Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As mentioned above you can visit Orelle to get up to Val Thorens and whilst in The Maurienne valley take in places such as Valloire, Valmeinier, Val Cenis, Valfrejus and Bonneval Sur Arc…all offer great skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Shakira, hi , we have a weeks stay at VT so we don’t want to go there , just any possible nearish resorts ( small is good) that we could drive to from the airport Lyon , then drive to a local ish appartment low down and then on the 3rd drive to another resort, then back to apartment , then on the 4 th either get to VT early or go to another resort with the view to get to VT early evening Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 16-10-24 19:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andmelffion, thank you , I am just looking at this valley now, seems as if a plan is forming Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bigtoe, I was thinking that you might just be able to avoid taking your car to VT at all, as the Maurienne had been suggested. I'm not sure I'd head too far into the Maurienne if I were then driving round to VT (but I'm a wimp and don't like driving in snow...). Valmorel or les Saisies are sort of vaguely on the way.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Shakira, ahh thanks for that .
So we could possibly leave the car low down . Depending on where we are staying in VT I guess as I wouldn’t want to drag luggage and skis for a mile! It was hard enough a few years back in Avoriaz when we went, or is thee a way in VT for a lift to apartment from the top of the lift?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bigtoe, yeah, would depend on where you are staying (and how light or otherwise you travel). I also don't know what the long stay parking situation at Orelle is, but it might be worth a look as a possibility. I suppose though you mind have a problem it wind closed the lifts on your leaving day!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Sept Laux and Chamrousse would be my pick with those requirements. Both look like they have fun terrain but neither is big enough for a week's ski holiday. Google maps reckons that it's only just over 1.5 hours from the airport to Les Sept Laux which will be big 1.5 day's worth of skiing (it would probably be ample for 2.5 days but you seem to want variety and Chamrousse is not far away)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From Albertville it's only 35 kms or so to Praz sur Arly, from which you could visit the whole Espace Diamant but right now the notorious D1212 "Arly Gorge" road is closed by rock fall and will be closed for some weeks yet. There is an alternative route but it's tortuous (albeit interesting..... we once had to sit patiently for 20 minutes or so rather than disrupt a funeral procession which had completely taken over the roads of a small village) and it's probably only worth contemplating that area if the D1212 is open. https://www.savoie.fr/web/sw_142345/gorges-de-l-arly-le-planning-de-reouverture-de-la-rd-1212-bouscule

If it is, in January you should have no problem finding reasonable accommodation for a few days in January and you could then visit Les Saisies, Crest Voland and (if you are lucky with the snow) Hauteluce, all from the same lift up from Praz sur Arly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Shakira, yes winds could cause an issue , I’ll look into it all further
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rambotion, many thanks, we did enjoy chamrousse very much and would go there again , it was some 5 years ago I guess we went , Les sept laux , I have not heard of so will do a search .
I must admit though the Maurienne valley is ticking all the right boxes at the mo Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Origen, many thanks
snow report
There is an Ibis Budget near St Jean de Maurienne, other hotels in the town itself. Easy drive up to Le Corbier or Les Karellis.
ski holidays
@Shakira, I think I’ll rule out the possibility of getting there by gondalla, you have to negotiate around five lifts taking around 45 mins .
snow report
@bigtoe, I think you'll struggle finding accommodation from 2nd to 4th January as most owners will want to rent out New Years week for the full 7 days.
There is nothing available in our village for those dates.
Definitely worth booking it sooner rather than later if you do find something suitable.
ski holidays
@skichampcouk, thank you , I’ve just booked an apartment in st Michel de Maurienne which seems reasonably located to a few resorts to drive to
ski holidays
bigtoe wrote:
@skichampcouk, thank you , I’ve just booked an apartment in st Michel de Maurienne which seems reasonably located to a few resorts to drive to

Hopefully you haven't got a 2+ hr drive to Val Thoren ???
latest report
bigtoe wrote:
@Shakira, I think I’ll rule out the possibility of getting there by gondalla, you have to negotiate around five lifts taking around 45 mins .
Actually, it's a really smooth journey by lift from Orelle to VT.
A few years ago, there was a big rock - a very big rock - that blocked the road out of VT for days. Some of those days were on the weekend and they needed to get thousands of people out of (and into) the resort. Orelle was the only serious option but part of the route involved a chairlift which is not very efficient for pedestrians with luggage.
SETAM, is not only an independent lift co but also a very profitable one and when they are presented with a problem like that, which might affect the reputation of the resort, they're not shy to spend big Euros on a solution.
So they have since built a new gondola connecting the top of the 3V express from Orelle (which they also upgraded) and the Cime de Caron cable car. As a result, you can travel between the two towns easily now.
It is 5 lifts, yes but they are slickly interconnected and you hardly even put a foot on snow - I'd be surprised if it took a full 45 mins, but yeah more than 30 for sure. But still, 45mins chillin' watching the views versus 2hrs plus on bendy roads, stuck behind transfer buses - hardly a slam dunk decision Wink
...and then there's a relative costs of parking in VT v Orelle.
snow conditions
admin wrote:
So they have since built a new gondola connecting the top of the 3V express from Orelle (which they also upgraded) and the Cime de Caron cable car.

... and a covered walkway between the two.
ski holidays
bigtoe wrote:

We will be at our apt in same village at same time so may bump into you…hope you enjoy the area.
snow conditions
@admin, many thanks for that info. Sounds very sensible . I guess if the lifts are shut due to wind we would need to taxi out . I guess they shut as often and as little as any other resort .
latest report
@andmelffion, well to think until yesterday I had never heard of this valley . I must say it soulful incredible !
I may be pestering you for a little info if that’s ok ? Happy to
Meet for a beer/ ski as a pay back thanks one evening Very Happy
snow report
We have season passes for Haute Maurienne Vanoise this season. We first visited the Maurienne Valley as part of our 2023 season (Les Karellis, Aussois and Val Cenis) last season we visited again and did Les Seybelles, La Norma, Valfrejus, Val Cenis and Bonneval-Sur-Arc.

We like the vibe it's welcoming, quiet, cheap and has good snow. Bonneval is probably my favourite for its rustic alpine charm, the viewing platform at Val Cenis looking at Lac du Mont-Cenis is pretty special but the best bit about the valley is the off-piste/powder because it is fairly quiet.
snow report
bigtoe wrote:
@andmelffion, well to think until yesterday I had never heard of this valley . I must say it soulful incredible !
I may be pestering you for a little info if that’s ok ? Happy to
Meet for a beer/ ski as a pay back thanks one evening Very Happy

No problem happy to help where I can as we love the area. Depends on many days you are there but Les Karellis is a great little (and quiet) resort 30 mins away and looks over onto Valloire, my favourite is Bonneval sur Arc which although 60 mins away (easy drive) offers some great skiing and is a quaint village which again is very quiet.
snow conditions
We like the vibe it's welcoming, quiet, cheap and has good snow. Bonneval is probably my favourite for its rustic alpine charm, the viewing platform at Val Cenis looking at Lac du Mont-Cenis is pretty special but the best bit about the valley is the off-piste/powder because it is fairly quiet.[/quote]

Can second all of this, though we have the Skiogrande card which allows us access to all the Maurienne Valley resorts with a daily discounted ticket and free day every 8 - we can pick and choose where to ski depending on the prevailing daily weather.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MAthert, @andmelffion, thanks so much for the info .
Out of interest do any of you car hire from Lyon ?
There’s four of us travelling with skis as well , and I’m Sure we won’t get it in a car , so a minibus I’m finding is £900 ! More than the flight cost .
Any other options or where best to hire from would help.possibly thinking two cars as that will work out a lot cheaper but not as much fun as being in the one vehicle .!
latest report
@bigtoe..not rented for a while as we have our own car parked close to the airport, but friends have recently used Rentscape who they were happy with. They are based slightly off the airport so tend to be cheaper.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 19-10-24 14:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
bigtoe wrote:
@MAthert, @andmelffion, thanks so much for the info .
Out of interest do any of you car hire from Lyon ?
There’s four of us travelling with skis as well , and I’m Sure we won’t get it in a car , so a minibus I’m finding is £900 ! More than the flight cost .
Any other options or where best to hire from would help.possibly thinking two cars as that will work out a lot cheaper but not as much fun as being in the one vehicle .!

Large Estate car, fold one back seat. Should do it easily
ski holidays
@andmelffion, Thanks , I’ve find rentscape I’ll use them.
@DJL, I’ll take your suggestion and look for one , do you think a Peugeot 3008 estate would do it ?
ski holidays
There are very few "large estate cars" on the books with most car hire places (or indeed places that sell cars!) these days. And even if you do book a particular model there is no guarantee that you'll get one.
ski holidays
Many times we have managed 5 including luggage and skis in an “intermediate wagon”.

eg: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2689451

Requires a Handirack though.
ski holidays
Quote:

More than the flight cost

Transfers to ski resorts often cost more than flights!
latest report
@Origen, crazy isn’t it
ski holidays
Not really. I'm flying to Lyon from Heathrow on Tuesday. A taxi to the airport would cost more than the airfare.
latest report
@altis, thanks for the link , I’ll grab a hands rack as well , just in case
latest report
@Origen, true , the luggage we take on the plane often costs more than our bum on the seat .
We are using BA from Heathrow to Lyon and ex seat you get two 32kg cases . Great value .
snow report
And my taxi to Heathrow would take a whole driver for some hours. Our flights to Lyon only need a small fraction of a driver!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy