Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions 2 day overnight trip from Alta Badia

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
we have an apartment in Corvara for a few weeks mid Jan to early Feb.

We normally do day trips but I thought it might be fun to do a 2 day trip by ski and overnight somewhere with the aim of a change of scenery and not having to rush back, kind of a mini ski safari. I'm looking for suggestions but have been thinking of

world war 1 route with an overnight nr Alleghe (skied all the pistes but never done the circuit)
ski over to Alpi di Suis/Ortisei (again skied the area several times)

or maybe an area we've not been to before... so
ski over to Pozza di Fassa (never skied that area beyond the bottom of Buffaure)
bus/ski/train over to 3 Zinnen, but maybe that's a 2 nighter, or it's better to drive there and spend a night

My wife is a good skier and I'm a competent intermediate (no good when it's more than one of steep/icy/bumpy Embarassed ). We're happy to take everything for an overnight stay in two rucksacks as we're used to walking for a couple of days and stopping in a pub.

I'd welcome any suggestions or experience people may have of specific rifugios. We're not game for a dormitory!

Cheers,
R
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski over to cortina, do a lap of pistes them back to refugio averau at cinque torre, bus over to pescul next day, ski alleghe and zoldo, then taxi to malga ciepela and ski back to corvara

Or the same in reverse. So basically the ww1 tour with a night in averau.

Lagazuoi also has private rooms but might be a bit too close to home
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Iskiing over in Val di fassa is very pleasant. I might be tempted to go up to San Pellegrino which I've not seen, though the Civetta area also looks excellent.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for Cortina. Just been there for a week and it's totally different to Alta Badia.
Most spectacular.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1. Val di Fassa: ski over to Pozza, then there are little road-trains to Pera to get the chair up into Catinaccio, ski down the nice red to Vigo, buses from Vigo go up to Carezza ski area, not ski buses though?? Not used these as I had a car. Both Catinaccio & Carezza are scenic with the backdrop of the mythical Rosengarten range. There are places to stay on mountain up at Carezza like https://maps.app.goo.gl/pK6DjAfDvSj8birP9 and there's the nice QC Terme spa on the edge of Pozza, but not sure how you would fit that in! wink

https://www.fassa.com/it/come-arrivare/autobus-altoadigemobilita

2. Cortina: Corvara-Armentarola-taxibus to Falzarego-Cinque Torri-Cortina Skyline-Tofana-bus across town to Faloria cablecar-Rio Gere-Cristallo. I think the Rifugio Son Forca has rooms...beautiful spot! Return would be same route in reverse, knocking off bits of Cortina you missed the previous day and then Hidden valley run back to Armentarola and Alta Badia

https://rifugiosonforca.it/

3. Drei Zinnen: Ski to Badia-bus to Piculin-ski over Kronplatz to Perca-train to Vierschach-ski through 3 Zinnen (with bus connection) to Padola- stay the night at a hotel in the village- Return is same in reverse

4. Civetta(Alleghe): as you say, you could follow the WW1 route either way (via Armentarola/Cinque Torri or Arabba/Malga Ciapela), when you hit Civetta, you can head across and explore the Zoldo side. Rifugio S'un Paradis is a beautiful chalet that may have rooms https://maps.app.goo.gl/1MeQDWoJGnA8DngG8. If not, this one at Palafavera https://maps.app.goo.gl/aDmvafPtbHKjr76c7
Return would be reverse choosing either the Marmolada descent or Hidden Valley.

I would say do whichever one you haven't visited before. I've visited all these before and Cortina is probably the one I would pick to return to. The Cristallo sector is my favourite, very quiet and stunning mountain backdrop.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks all, I know it's sacrilege to say but honestly we're not big fans of Cortina not helped because the last twice we've been the conditions were a bit rubbish Sad We'll no doubt drive over there for a full day though as it's an easy journey from Corvara.

@luigi I'd like to try 3 Zinnen but am concerned that getting buses, trains etc all lined up may be pushing it a bit and limit our ski time in the actual resort. We'll probably end up either getting stuck at Kronplatz or rushing back really early Sad have you done this?
re the hotel QC Terme, looks like and not badly priced but not sure it's the kind of place where you arrive with just a rucksack of clothes Smile we tried to get to Cristallo from Faloria when we were there but the connecting run was closed due to lack of snow, maybe try again this year.

@T Bar, yes San Pellegrino is on my list but it's not serviced well be public transport so I figure it's best to drive there, stay overnight and drive back.

Another challenge is finding somewhere that just takes one night bookings and actually has availability, looks like we've left it too late for the well know rifugios Sad although Lagazuoi has space but it's a bit close to 'home'.

It looks like I can find somewhere in Val di fassa or Civetta so those seem like good options.

Any recommendations gratefully received.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@richb67, last summer I stayed for just 2 nights in Alleghe at the centrally located hotel Alleghe. Their website seems to be down at the moment (actually I think I booked through hotels.com anyway). Edit: it was actually through booking.com.

Alternatively it may be worthwhile seeing if the nearby Garni Esperia (situated above the Bierstube in central Alleghe) has any availability.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 23-10-24 20:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richb67 wrote:

@luigi I'd like to try 3 Zinnen but am concerned that getting buses, trains etc all lined up may be pushing it a bit and limit our ski time in the actual resort. We'll probably end up either getting stuck at Kronplatz or rushing back really early Sad have you done this?

No, I was staying just south of Cortina, so I drove up to Vierschach and did the 'Giro delle Cime' tour to Padola and back in a day with lunch at Padola. That was easily doable.

https://www.dreizinnen.com/en/the-experience/in-winter/giro-delle-cime.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks @Alastair Pink, will take a look
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
richb67 wrote:

re the hotel QC Terme, looks like and not badly priced but not sure it's the kind of place where you arrive with just a rucksack of clothes Smile we tried to get to Cristallo from Faloria when we were there but the connecting run was closed due to lack of snow, maybe try again this year.

I know it would be a daytrip and not a 2 day ski safari, but you could always drive over to Cortina, park at Rio Gere https://maps.app.goo.gl/bzP4av3BHpx8WkNS8 and go up and explore the Cristallo sector, the run back down to rio Gere is a blast, my son and I repeated 10 times one morning before lunch at Rio Gere restaurant. It's a really quiet part of Cortina, probably even quieter if the run down from Faloria were closed!! snowHead

In the afternoon, you could do a short drive across to Lake Misurina to the tiny but perfectly formed Col de Varda ski area https://maps.app.goo.gl/yNacf3npBFK5ZKxt8 Just one chair up and a few variants down, but whoever laid them out knew what they were doing, some real blasts and almost deserted the afternoon we went. Impressive views around the frozen lake there too. You can walk out onto it.

Also, to maximise time at 3Zinnen, driving to Vierschach would be a good daytrip option. Long enough to complete the Giro delle Cime to Padola and back in a day. Very Happy

Massive parking area next to liftbase there https://maps.app.goo.gl/AVdjP6DnjvnKmYZA8
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy