Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How good/bad are buses around Chamonix during French school hols?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm new around here so not sure how to check if this question has been asked already, but I'm looking to ski Chamonix March 3-7 which I see is the French zone C (including Paris) school holidays. (Can't go any other time.) I've read comments that buses in Chamonix valley are fine and others saying they are a nightmare. I've also seen comments that buses run basically every half hour, which doesn't seem very frequent, so missing a bus because it's full could mean waiting up to an hour to get anywhere, plus the travel time. How good/bad are buses during French school hols? Is the train a viable alternative?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went 21st December to chamonix last year. Absolutely no issues with the buses at all. Very useful way to get around. I never had an issue with the bus being full once. Though tbf some of the ski areas weren’t open.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are you sure you have your weeks correct,
This has it as zone A.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=167136
First week of march is late for holidays
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sustainadelic, last season was a bit funny, change of management, etc. We rarely use the buses.

A possibly better option, depending where you are staying is the train?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, correct about Zone A. Still French school hols though.

I was thinking of staying at Rockypop in Les Houches which is next to a bus stop but about a km to Taconnaz station. If I'm relying on trains maybe I need to find somewhere else. I wanted somewhere with social area where I can chat to people as I'll probably be on my own. Also still seems a bit of a schlep from station to lift in ski gear to Les Houches and Brevant, though others look doable.

Still want to know what level of nightmare we're talking with buses and French school hols.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sustainadelic, maybe look at Folie Douce? In town, in good snow ski in ski out?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sustainadelic, welcome to SH's?

It's a long while since I went to Chamonix. I did a week and a long weekend - both times staying in Argentierre.

For me the only reason to go to Chamonix is for the off piste or because you've never been and just fancy it. As you are solo I assume the latter?

My recollection of the buses or the fact that Cham is a bunch of unlinked ski areas was that they are a pain and best avoided. I've been to resorts in Austria where I've had to get busses, I am not completely immune to the idea - though for 90% of my skiing and certainly since having kids is in ski in ski out French resorts.

I have (like you probably) read the busses were a bit rubbish last year (as alluded to by uann above) but that only exasperates the problem to me. And even at not quite peak season I would be looking elsewhere.

Why did you choose Cham, what are your alternatives?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Why did you choose Cham, what are your alternatives?

Simple answer, I just want spectacular mountain scenery (but skiing on-piste). Love the Dolomites, but I'll be coming from Lyon so France makes more sense. An option is to stay on the train to Zermatt or Wengen/Grindelwald, but went to both last year so fancied somewhere new. Also maybe the Vallee Blanche. Also thinking of a couple of days at the end in St Gervais/St Nicholas, where it's all connected. Any French resorts that compare to Chamonix for mountain grandeur? (Maybe I should start a different thread on that.)

So... is it more practical to use the train for Vallorcine, Argentiere, Les Houches, Flegere?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sustainadelic, I use the buses all winter in Chamonix and they are fine. Not like a ski in/ski out resort, but perfectly adequate. If you know that you don’t like busses then look elsewhere.

On the route up and down the valley they are every 10 minutes at peak time and every 15 at other times.

Longest journey from Chamonix (to Le Tour) 25 minutes.

Les Houches is a bit off the grid and you really need advice from someone who stays or lives there. It feels as though all the transport links are designed to make life as difficult as possible to/from from Les Houches.

Trains are only every hour and not quick. Unlikely to be of use to you unless returning from Vallorcene. Which is very unlikely unless you get off piste or touring.

The views are good. Whether the skiing is up your street or not is clearly another matter entirely. But that wasn’t your question.

Good luck.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sustainadelic, oh, and St Gervais is a jolly place too for a visit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe, it's just me but I love the mountain scenery where ever I go. I know the Dolomites are a bit special and perhaps a few others.

I wouldn't say Chamonix fits into the category but it's not something I've thought about a lot - see my first statement Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't mind buses at all. My question was just whether I will be able to get on them, given the French school hols. Don't mind being squashed in, not so keen on wasting an hour in a bus queue every morning.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sustainadelic wrote:
Also thinking of a couple of days at the end in St Gervais/St Nicholas, where it's all connected. Any French resorts that compare to Chamonix for mountain grandeur? (Maybe I should start a different thread on that.)

I was going to say, you get a very nice view of Mont Blanc from Megeve.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As @Jonny996 says, if Mont Blanc is what you want in mountain grandeur then St Gervais/Megeve/Combloux give it pretty well too. As does Les Contamines from a different aspect - or Courmayeur where it really looms over the ski area. In all cases, on a clear day.

Chamonix does have all the Aiguilles which match what we thought a mountain looked like when children, and those are not really seen from the St Gervais side (basically just Aiguille du Midi in the distance). Instead you can enjoy the Dome de Gouter (with the refuge perched on the skyline) and the Dome de Miage.

The St Gervais view of Mont Blanc had its moment in a recent episode of "Emily in Paris". https://www.inthesnow.com/emily-in-paris-in-megeve/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy