Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A week in Lech or Corvara

Poster: A snowHead
Hi! My husband and I initially planned a two-week ski holiday, spending one week in Lech and one week in Corvara in late January. However, due to work commitments, we can only make it to one of these locations for one week. We’ve never been to either resort and haven’t skied in years, so we’re looking for some blue pistes to refresh our skills. We’re not into après-ski; our main priorities are stunning views, easy access, piste variety, and, of course, quality snow. The Dolomites’ scenery looks amazing, and Sella Ronda is definitely a bucket list item. However, there’s something about Lech that gives off that quintessential European Alps vibe and seems like it won’t disappoint.

I’ve seen many posts comparing these resorts to others, but not specifically to each other, which makes it a tough decision since we haven't experienced either. So, I’d love to hear your thoughts— which one should we choose?

Thank you!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SMB203, hi and welcome snowHead

The Dolomites sounds ideal for your requirements, and if you are in any way price sensitive, I would definitely pick Corvara. The cost saving may be significant.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you! Price is not a factor thankfully and we currently have accommodation booked in both so trying to decide which one to cancel Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SMB203,
I've been to both and really like them both.
I don't think you will be disappointed with either.

Lech is more likely to give you fresh snow and the village is probably a bit more villageier.

However Corvara probably wins out on quantity and quality of blue runs and edges it on scenery, you are more likely to be skiing on snow from snow guns, but the quality of that snow is usually excellent.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SMB203, The scenery in the Dolomites is unique & beautiful, the food and general atmosphere is great too. However Lech is a special place, somewhere that can be genuinely called a mountain hideaway. I suspect you are flying across the Atlantic so understand wanting to make sure you choose the best place. Impossible choice but I think Lech wins.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The scenery in the Dolomites is, simply, stunning. There's a reason it's a World Heritage area! But, if you want the total package of great skiing, great scenery, totally snow-sure, a quintessentially European alpine winter resort that is of the very highest quality, Lech is the place to go. I've been skiing for over 50 years in France, Austria, Italy and the USA. Lech is my favourite place. By quite a long way.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Decisions, decisions………
We have been to both- Lech, many times & a couple to Corvara. Pretty much agree with Munich Irish on points on the two so no need to elaborate further.
For your first time, Lech does offer a unique Alpine experience so I would say go here.
Corvara for your next visit is the outrageous cherry on the cake Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It may come down to eating

Austria is very meat-centric

If that works for you, then Lech it is
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Both are fab. Given your ability level, I would give the nod to the Dolomites, where the weather (visibility) is more likely to be fair.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed in Corvara in February. By lunchtime the two main home runs were churned up, very long, hard work. So we booked for neighbouring Colfosco this coming January. You’d love the blues.

I think Lech’s lovely.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aaagh, such a shame you can't do both! Sad

I've skied both a few times, definitely two of the nicest resorts in the Alps and wouldn't hesitate to return to either.

@munich_irish has it summed up with Lech as the rational choice, but it is full of well-heeled Germans and just a bit dour.

So if scenery, food, long lunches on sunny terraces and a more relaxed Dolce Vita atmosphere appeals, I'd say Corvara.

The terrain is probably more flattering in the Dolomites, esp. around Corvara. There's statistically less natural snow in the Dolomites, but that was hard work in Lech at times. The groomed every night to perfection artificial/natural mix in the Dolomites will probably be easier if you haven't skied for a while.

Whichever you choose, you'll have to come back and do the other one next year!! snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have been coming to Lech for more than 20 years and had Corvara in mind as an alternative some years ago. We went in summer to check the village, and were rather disappointed exactly about the village. No core to speak of, rather spread out, little atmosphere. Scenery is great of course, but so is Lech.
In fact the geology around Lech-Warth-Zürs has a bit of a "Dolomite-feeling" here and there. And the views from Kriegerhorn along the Zuger Valley has a strong 'Canadian Rockies" feel.
The Lech food-scene is great too by the way. Stay tuned for the return (after many years of absence) of the Michelin-guide to Austria, to be released this coming January. Lech has quite some candidates for one, or more stars

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 17-10-24 15:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As you've used the phrase "quintessential European Alps vibe" Lech will probably be perfect for you. Don't forget your his n hers white jeans and furs (and ideally your bugatti blue Aston Martin).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Compared to other big names in the Alps, Lech is more about understated luxury. And the vast majority of cars is in the underground garage, and stays there the full week.
And I suspect there are actually more Italian furry ladies in Corvara.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you to everyone who took the time to share their opinions on Lech vs. Corvara! Smile After reading your posts (+ some on reddit) and doing a bit more research, we’ve decided to go to Lech this year and try Corvara in the future. Thank you!
snow conditions
@SMB203, That's a good shout, experience Lech, don't let your wife forget to bring her favourite fur coat. If not you'll have to buy her one. Very Happy
You'll probably make your way to St Anton, make sure you call in at the "Hospice" in St Christophe on the way back for lunch or cake.
Its not just the food ... a trip to the toilet is epic.
If its sunny day, the Rote Wand above Zug is a great balcony for a beer in the sunshine.
Its a long time I've been there, but I feel you will like it.

Save the Dolimites for another year, its fabulous skiing there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy