Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere - March '25

Poster: A snowHead
After going to Val Thorens for the last two seasons for a family ski trip (6 of us, 4 children from 13-4), we've decided to go to La Rosiere this season for a much smaller, quieter (going outside of the half term - naughty us) family trip. We also now going to two other families (one family of 4 with children aged 6 and 8 and another family of 4 with children aged 4 and a baby) so have booked a large 20 person apartment in the Residence Le Roc Noir, which looks to be a ski in/ski out location.

So just looking for some advice to those that know the area or have been to La Rosiere, on things to do with the children away from the slopes, restaurant recommendation, ski runs not to be missed, etc, etc

Also potentially looking at hiring a private instructor for 4 of the children (ages 4,4,6 & 8 ) so if anyone knows of anyone suitable?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bump
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bump 2
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best thing about La Rosiere is you use it to access La Thuile , the best skiing is on the Italian side of the border as well as the food and the coffee and is much better value but after seeing the ages of most of your team I doubt you’ll get the chance .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Assuming that you don’t rate La Rosiere highly if getting out of it is the best thing!?

How quick is it to get over to La Thuile and back then?

Would hope we’d have a 3 hours period when the little ones will be in ski school.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
3 hours would be a rush over, grab a coffee and get back. (If you ski like me lol)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Roscoe, it’s going to be perfect for your trip , lots of blues and roads for the kids, if a little samey , some of the reds are ok and the newer advanced area in Mont Valaisan is good , challenging and less crowded . The sun first thing is a big plus for the children and lasts all day bur the lower south facing runs can get slushy in the afternoon and obviously icy in the morning but soften up quickly. My big problem is that to get the new advanced area, needed , the playoff was quite a lot of new residences and a big club med which has resulted in the easier and intermediate areas being more overcrowded than it ever used to be however you are used to Val T so you won’t notice too much . The other problem is when the bad weather comes in it can get very windy but it does gets loads of snow .
With regards to your question there are great runs off the 3 chairs just over the Italian border after the double drag , you’ll be able to do laps off these and be back in 3 hours , the other great runs are the two long reds either side of ski area from the top of La Thuile all the way to the village , no 6 and no 3 the ladies downhill into La Thuile is very steep and icy but you won’t have time for these it’s an hour back from the LaThuile gondola !
I ski the area about three of four times a season but I must admit I use it to get to La Thuile .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I must add plenty on here love La Ros so don’t take too much notice of me
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your response. It all helps
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roc Noire is great. Best bakery is the one next to a carrefour minimarmet.
There is a nice walking path, sledging, some kids attractions on the path.
Resto - pick what you like Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rob Mackley wrote:
The best thing about La Rosiere is you use it to access La Thuile , the best skiing is on the Italian side of the border as well as the food and the coffee and is much better value but after seeing the ages of most of your team I doubt you’ll get the chance .

Totally agree. For me La Ros is one south facing slope with naff all going on in the village. The drag out to La Thuile is the best thing about La Ros. Madeye-Smiley

OP, after VT, LaR could leave you somewhat underwhelmed, fine for the younger kids though.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 2-10-24 21:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like we’ve picked a winner!, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roscoe wrote:
Sounds like we’ve picked a winner!, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing You set the bar high with the 3V. LaR may struggle by comparison.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have been to plenty of other resorts so appreciate the difference in the smaller resorts compared to the big/mega resorts.

I’m sure we’ll be fine. As long as there in snow, skiing, cold beer, good food and no work for a week, it will be perfect.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It'll be fine. Don't forget the sunscreen.
latest report
Hi Roscoe. We went there in February with a group of 5 families - kids aged between 5 and 16. In short its a good resort for family focused skiing and you will love it. Even better there are no lift queues.

Regarding the skiing there are lots of good wide blues and reds so good for the kids, good skiing for better standard skiers off mont valaisan and if you have some adults keen to do something a bit more challenging grab a guide as there are quite a few good routes off the back of the main valley down in to the pass between France and Italy but don't just follow tracks. There is also a good bowl off of Mt Valaisan which doesnt get tracked too fast.

Italy is a day trip - requires a short red to get down to the drags but its really a blue with a short steep section so a resonable skier can do it. As others have said you can stay in the area between the two (some nice lunch spots there) or head in to Italy. I would do it as a full day trip and maybe pack a snood as it can get windy and chilly on the way back.

Plenty of restaurants but only really one bar on the Roc Noir side. That was fine for us with kids but I can see why some would find it too quiet. It is worth booking Antigel on a Thursday as its the only day they have a DJ and its a great atmosphere but family friendly too so good fun with great views over the valley and a short blue back to the resort.

The walk to the other side (Les Eucherts) is short and pleasant through the trees and there is a resort bus - just be warned it doesnt run Sunday evenings so if you head over check the timetables if you dont want to walk. Flocon is a good restaurant for families in Eucherts, will book big groups and has a bowling alley too! 3 bears crepe shop just below it is good for lunch.

There is the xtreme luge (which isnt extreme) that you can take kids on day or evening (lit up through trees in evening) and the ski schools do various activities like sledging on the slopes on the Eucherts side. There is also the iglu bar that side for something different.

Easy to ski back to Roc Noir and its basically ski in / short walk out. There isn't anything in terms of lunch spots by it though other than full restaurants so easy for a baguette in the apartment but its not like the bigger resorts with lots of lunch spots on the slopes by main lifts.

Much as I prefer bigger more challenging resorts myself (and a few of the other adults) we are going back there again in Feb as it was ideal for the kids. The slope layout is also very simple so would be quite hard to properly get lost!

Have fun
ski holidays
Sidey48 wrote:
Hi Roscoe. We went there in February with a group of 5 families - kids aged between 5 and 16. In short its a good resort for family focused skiing and you will love it. Even better there are no lift queues.

Regarding the skiing there are lots of good wide blues and reds so good for the kids, good skiing for better standard skiers off mont valaisan and if you have some adults keen to do something a bit more challenging grab a guide as there are quite a few good routes off the back of the main valley down in to the pass between France and Italy but don't just follow tracks. There is also a good bowl off of Mt Valaisan which doesnt get tracked too fast.

Italy is a day trip - requires a short red to get down to the drags but its really a blue with a short steep section so a resonable skier can do it. As others have said you can stay in the area between the two (some nice lunch spots there) or head in to Italy. I would do it as a full day trip and maybe pack a snood as it can get windy and chilly on the way back.

Plenty of restaurants but only really one bar on the Roc Noir side. That was fine for us with kids but I can see why some would find it too quiet. It is worth booking Antigel on a Thursday as its the only day they have a DJ and its a great atmosphere but family friendly too so good fun with great views over the valley and a short blue back to the resort.

The walk to the other side (Les Eucherts) is short and pleasant through the trees and there is a resort bus - just be warned it doesnt run Sunday evenings so if you head over check the timetables if you dont want to walk. Flocon is a good restaurant for families in Eucherts, will book big groups and has a bowling alley too! 3 bears crepe shop just below it is good for lunch.

There is the xtreme luge (which isnt extreme) that you can take kids on day or evening (lit up through trees in evening) and the ski schools do various activities like sledging on the slopes on the Eucherts side. There is also the iglu bar that side for something different.

Easy to ski back to Roc Noir and its basically ski in / short walk out. There isn't anything in terms of lunch spots by it though other than full restaurants so easy for a baguette in the apartment but its not like the bigger resorts with lots of lunch spots on the slopes by main lifts.

Much as I prefer bigger more challenging resorts myself (and a few of the other adults) we are going back there again in Feb as it was ideal for the kids. The slope layout is also very simple so would be quite hard to properly get lost!

Have fun

Thanks for the response. Good tip regarding Antigel as that sounds right up our street!
snow report
Consider booking restaurant Lo Tata in La Thuile if you do a day over the Italian side. We made the mistake of just turning up because it was an off peak weekday lunch thinking it would be quiet but they were fully booked. It gets excellent reviews.
snow report
Rob Mackley wrote:

+1 Laughing Laughing

I spent a week in La Ros and went over to La Thuile most days!

The food is better, the slopes are more varied and interesting. Doesn't seem as busy either

But I'm sure the kids will like La Rosiere, a lot of the acommodation is close to slopes and some nice progressor blues.
latest report
Hi there. I live in La Thuile for 6 months of the year (fbrexit) and I posted some of this on another thread.
I love La Thuile and I definitely prefer LTH to La Rosiere. But I do enjoy LR and there are some good restaurants on the slopes (but they are expensive).
The drag lift between LR and LTH is ok - I would guess easier for skiers than boards (I board) but not too difficult. You only have to do one half of the drag lift when coming to LTH as slope 7 (and eventually slope 26).

I love the slopes in LTH and the off-piste is amazing.

A quick summary of LTH:
- Planibel is next to the gondola and lifts. But is a pretty dated. I’m not massively keen on this whole area really.
- High end accommodation include Chalet Eden (closest to slopes) and Montana Lodge
- Mid-range accommodation include Hotel Boston D’Or (closest to slopes) and Chalet Alpina
- Budget accommodation include some of the rooms in Planibel and Camping Rutor (has self-contained pods as well as caravans)

- Snow pass - there are lots of options such as day pass, consecutive days, 5 days in 7 week etc. so you can choose the best for you. Your best bet is to buy your pass online. The only queue in La Thuile is at the ticket office. You can purchase tickets on EspaceSanBernard app or lathuile.it

- Snow pass includes La Rosiere as well. You can board to La Rosiere.
- Avoid getting to the lifts at 10am. It is the time the ski schools go out and can get busy. Unless your kids are in ski school obviously.

All in my opinion:
- Best gelato and hot chocolate: Chocolat Colomb
- Best coffee: Angela’s Bar
- Best on-slope lunch: Il Punto Gi and Offshore bar
- Best on-slope beer and burger: Le Petite Skier
- Best dinner: Lo Tata and Maison Blanche
- Best Apre-bar: La Thuile is not a party place. There is amazing food but very limited drinking nightlife. If that is what you are after, La Thuile is not the place for you. But for a late-ish night drink and dance - La Buvette.

Closest airport: Turin then Malpensa. You can fly in to Geneva but the Mont Blanc tunnel adds costs and there can be a lot of traffic. We drive most often. From London, it is about 11 hours door-to-door.

Enjoy SH!
snow report
Roscoe wrote:

Good tip regarding Antigel as that sounds right up our street!

Unless something has changed, the most disappointing aspect of LaR for me was the total lack of anything going on at apres time or in the evenings. La Comptoir was about the best of it and we ended up playing pool there. Pool at apres time?? Confused
snow report
We went there 4 times in groups with kids.
We all loved it. A lovely vibe to the place.
Bizarrely ESF were fabulous there
snow conditions
Went to La Rossiere last January. Stayed in the big Club Med. Stormy for most of the week. Got over to La Thuile once. Mount Valaisan did not open at all during the week. Got very bored. The pistes on the La Rossiere side are very samey. It will be fine for kids. I won’t be going again.
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, I'd second that - best experience we had with ESF group lessons when the kids were young was definitely in La Ros. Although I wouldn't necessarily choose to go there now with adult children, I'd heartily recommend it for nippers and beginners. I think there's an ice rink in Les Eucherts for evening actvity as well.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the responses! It seems it will be great for the little ones, which, lets be honest, makes for good foundations for the adults to have an enjoyable time too! I'm sure the apres will be fine, as we wont be going too crazy with all the kids in tow.
snow conditions
For the evenings...

There was an ice rink there, watched a game of Ice Hockey locals versus team from Meribel! Laughing

Also, one evening they had one of those ski shows where the instructors do some synchronised skiing and jumps and there were some fireworks at the end. Very Happy

Not as memerable as the show I saw in Zell am See which had a lasers and smoke sound and light show. Cool
snow conditions
@Roscoe, if you get fresh snow, low down, getbqstboift up and ski down Fontaine Froide to The very lowest lift, extrem left of the piste map. A sensational run in fresh snow, and has trees if the viz is poor.
latest report
luigi wrote:
F

Not as memerable as the show I saw in Zell am See which had a lasers and smoke sound and light show. Cool

Back to Selva... rolling eyes Laughing Have you ever caught one of their ski shows? Under Ciampinoi Gondola, pretty spectacular with free Gluhwein. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski resorts are like Marmite.
Personally I like La Roz - took my kids there and have gone with them as a wider family when grown up.
It used to have a great ski show with free hot choccy and vin chaud.
Their ESF is one of the better ones if you are schooling the kids.
Snow is normally good and plentiful despite many south facing slopes.
The link to La Thuile is long drags - but the skiing over there adds another dimension. It'll be cutting it tight if you are in the 3 hour ski school parental window however.
Black 3 and 5 down to LT village - steep and wide and lovely in good snow - a real hairy challenge if icy.
Eucherts has the ice hockey and bowling alley - a nice walk or navette ride.

It is a very nice family resort
ski holidays
When we were there, long ago, there was an evening display with the young ski instructors and some guys from the ski club going round a drag lift and stripping off a garment each time. They ended up in little briefs and ski boots. That probably doesn't take place any more. And the drag lift (a knacker cracker) has probably gone.
ski holidays
Origen wrote:
They ended up in little briefs and ski boots. That probably doesn't take place any more. And the drag lift (a knacker cracker) has probably gone.

Never nice but in just your under crackers Skullie
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy