Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap Heads.

Poster: A snowHead
Let's not confuse our budgets and our choices because of them, in favour of what actually makes sense. This site is rife with cheap assed confirmation bias that helps no one other than to serve your choices. Take some time, have some respect for the people asking questions that are looking for genuine replies that are not tied to your inability to value a product other than for how cheaply you have bought it. Put your hand up, be proud and say "I"m a cheap cnut." No one cares, we can just pass over your nonsense reasons then.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^ more like dick-head if you are upset by this thread:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5341065#5341065
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually I find snowheads in general can be a bit snobby when it comes to brands and equipment.

I don't see the point in spending a lot of money on completely overspecced equipment, when most are doing 1 week per year and can find perfectly adequate "cheap" equipment. Some of the decathlon stuff has similar specs to the big name stuff at 50% of the price.

I've put some of my cheap decathlon stuff through way more than most will ever do and for the most part it didn't miss a beat.

Makes me laugh seeing all the rich old euro hikers in their brand new north face gear and leki carbon poles. Wasted on them, they are still super slow. Meanwhile my £10 aluminium poles are around 5 years old, been up to 7000m, set an fkt trail run, and multiple seasons splitboarding 50+ days.

All the ski bums are in old gear. We can't afford to take the whole winter off work and ski everyday and buy fancy new stuff wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Holy crap. Ski boot vendor kicks off like a toddler on people who have the £40 product and the £150 custom product but would like a £10ish decent version for each pair of trainers or shoes they want to wear. So punters who don't want to lay out over £300 on a footbed quiver are cheap now. Mmmkay.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Holy crap. Ski boot vendor kicks off like a toddler on people who have the £40 product and the £150 custom product but would like a £10ish decent version for each pair of trainers or shoes they want to wear. So punters who don't want to lay out over £300 on a footbed quiver are cheap now. Mmmkay.

^ Laughing

Wait until I start my topic on personal experience of custom footbeds....

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 4-10-24 7:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Seems to be a recurring theme here.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boarder2020, Decathlon is pretty amazing isn’t it? I have a lot of their kit.

Bro in law’s shop rents Decathlon clothing to groups going up the Mont Blanc.

Can’t be anything wrong with it can there?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hee hee - eg. why pay a fortune for an expensive boot fitter when anyone with a bit of common sense, Google and a few DIY tools can do it themselves Toofy Grin
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5089299&highlight=hoji#5089299
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A decent flannel shirt and cheap kinco gloves covers about 80% of outerwear needs, but then I have mates who dumpster dive the lost property box and think I'm a snob for actually spending money on a shirt. It's all relative.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@boarder2020, Decathlon is pretty amazing isn’t it? I have a lot of their kit.

I have a combination of premium gear and Decathlon, most of my Decathlon gear is midlayers etc but I havent found any problems with any of their insulated gilets etc either over the years.

There are certain items that I wont compromise on, walking boots being one - I find that Salomon boots fit me like a glove and are consistently good for my purposes.

I use cycling merino base layers whatever sport I do, but oddly the ones I dislike the feel of the most are my expensive Icebreaker ones !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GreenDay wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Decathlon is pretty amazing isn’t it? I have a lot of their kit.

I have a combination of premium gear and Decathlon, most of my Decathlon gear is midlayers etc but I havent found any problems with any of their insulated gilets etc either over the years.

There are certain items that I wont compromise on, walking boots being one - I find that Salomon boots fit me like a glove and are consistently good for my purposes.

The only three areas where I find price and performance correlate are ski boots, sleeping bags and tents.

Nearly all the rest of my gear is Decathlon or Alpkit, and some of it has done multi-month expeditions of thousands of miles.

I've never found a pair of walking boots as good as a cheap pair of Asics trainers for me.

Then again, my son (who outskis me up and downhill) has never needed anything more than cheap off the shelf ski boots.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boarder2020 wrote:
... when most are doing 1 week per year and can find perfectly adequate "cheap" equipment.... wink
Joe Wash's Masserati did one eighty five. It's almost never about adequacy.

Brands like Burton cover all the bases: they have stuff prices from around £200 full retail all the way up to £800 for a coat, for example in 2024/5.

border2020 wrote:
Makes me laugh seeing all the rich old euro hikers in their brand new north face gear and leki carbon poles. Wasted on them, they are still super slow. ....
Those old rich folk are telling the world that they're rich, not that they're more adequately attired. Speed? Is it a race?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@CH2O, you are a great loss to the international diplomatic service.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB, Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If people want to buy top of the range gear or budget gear stuff that's their buisness, I certainly wouldn't laugh.
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:

I think @CH20 must be related to @stanton & @whitegold snowHead
ski holidays
Well he also got his knickers in a twist about a DPS recommendation so he seems to be upset with life generally at the moment Puzzled
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=170409&highlight=
ski holidays
@CH2O, I don't know whether sHs matters to you in terms of your market (I assume you get a lot of UK skiers through Cham because of the obvious). But as you've started posting here regularly again presumably it has some knock on effect in profiling your business. We might know that you're an opinionated, assertive person in the field but shaming people for whom skiing may not be their entire life and budget is not the way to sway the edge cases, the people who would benefit from your services but are fearful of an open tab and an overly aggressive fit. Maybe that's fine and you say if people aren't prepared to subscribe to the SOLE cult with a open credit card you don't want their business.

Everyone is a consumer. Everyone has been upsold on stuff they don't really need or just isn't appropriate for them or is flim flam. Those of us that know know that ski boots are not an area to try to save a buck but until you've reached a nirvana (which in my experience changes as your feet change and liners pack out) you don't know. When I came back to skiing some basic Salomon performa boots which I largely self fitted (yes I did go back to the store and downsize after walking around inside over a few nights) did me fine for the first 2-3 years.
latest report
Quote:

Those old rich folk are telling the world that they're rich, not that they're more adequately attired. Speed? Is it a race?

Well watching them suffer on an easy hike while wearing £1000s worth of gear. They'd be better of spending some on a training plan or gym membership Laughing

Quote:

Brands like Burton cover all the bases: they have stuff prices from around £200 full retail all the way up to £800 for a coat, for example in 2024/5.

Even £200 is expensive, you can get perfectly adequate stuff for a lot less. I don't blame Burton though, why not profit off a brand you have built up. People are willing to pay a premium for it, same as north face, which seems to be the trendy brand now as much for the fashionistas to parade around town as those actually doing something "outdoorsy".

Quote:

The only three areas where I find price and performance correlate are ski boots, sleeping bags and tents.

Alpkit do some pretty nice "cheaper" sleeping bags. Regarding tents my friends running a hiking company in kyrgyzstan bought cheap naturhike tents that have been completely fine. I've got an alpkit bivvy bag and soloist tent which have both been excellent and are at the cheaper end of things (although not super budget). Saw a very nice ultralight trekking pole tent this summer, which they'd paid €150 for on some straight from china website.

I think that's the future to be honest - Chinese companies ripping off western designs, producing them in the same factory and selling them at half the price. Already seems to be happening in the cycling world.
snow report
For the money those naturehike tents are decent - the one that’s a knock off of the msr hubba is a bargain.

I get really good outerwear for free or heavily subsidised through work, still prefer a flannel shirt and kincos, but no judgement on those who enjoy throwing the money at their gear. It’s all part of the fun.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:

I think that's the future to be honest - Chinese companies ripping off western designs, producing them in the same factory and selling them at half the price. Already seems to be happening in the cycling world.

Pretty much this. Direct from china websites are (for right or wrong) rapidly changing the market place. Much of the kit is clearly made in the same factory.
ski holidays
Not just china and Temu/Shein/Aliexpress etc. Amazon do a good line themselves in knocking off decent selling products and selling an Amazon basics version. I remembered reading this article

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/3/22311574/peak-design-video-amazon-copy-everyday-sling-bag
snow report
I got a packraft direct from ali express last year. 100% knock off of an alpacka (mate has one and you can’t tell the difference) - cost me $900 instead of $3500. Even if there’s a difference in quality and longevity, which I don’t think there is, that’s a significant enough saving to cover 3 replacements.
latest report
@CH2O fitted my boots about 17 years ago. They are old now but still fit like a snug, comfy glove.
Truly amazing value.
I could have bought cheaper, but chose very wisely, not to.
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, likewise I've had a couple of pairs from him. As has my wife, and a few other friends.

I'm sure you can try and do things on the cheap (and I've tried myself - sometimes its worked, sometimes not) but it's an area where I've found it's worth paying for skill.

It appears the other way to get things cheap is to rely on IP theft. Disappointing to see so many people advocating that.
ski holidays
Not just china and Temu/Shein/Aliexpress etc. Amazon do a good line themselves in knocking off decent selling products and selling an Amazon basics version. I remembered reading this article

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/3/22311574/peak-design-video-amazon-copy-everyday-sling-bag

Likewise the middle of Lidl. Do I need an angle grinder? No. Do I get an angle grinder because it’s £25 from the middle aisle? Yeah, go on then.

There’s lots of football supporters kicking off about paying £75+ for a kids replica shirt. Yet you can get a pretty much identical one in a couple of weeks for about £15 from China. Lots of websites have done side by side comparisons and struggle to tell the difference.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
Laughing
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
Take some time, have some respect for the people asking questions

The irony is strong in this one Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap wrote:

^ Laughing

Wait until I start my topic on personal experience of custom footbeds....

We know you are a pauper as you only earn 100k...
ski holidays
[quote="boarder2020"]
Quote:

Well yea they might be cheaper but the quality or at least quality control just isn't as good. Think Line is produced in China and there seems to be a lot of reports about durability issue (mainly relating to top sheet delaminating).
snow conditions
@BobinCH, chop chop sinbad. New thread? Happy to debate. Xx
snow conditions
Sometimes gear is great but if something 10% of the price fulfills 90% of the requirements then it is fine. On other occasions something at 70% of the price is nowhere near. So sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes it doesn’t really matter.

Eg I love my Sidas moulded liners. Worth £220
At the Ski School I help with there is a famous brand of jacket from a famous ski shop and it is universally hated (costs retail about £220). We wear it in lessons and can’t wait to swap to our own jackets. Mine is a Patagonia costing about £50 more and my other is a Phenix (bought from TKMaxx) for £120 and both are miles ahead.

I got some fleeces from Costco recently for £20 and they are great for the cold Scottish climate. Better than my £100 TNF Fleece. Maybe not better but not £80 less.

However, if someone lines a brand and wants nice gear then that is fine by me. Some people like lovely fast cars but only drive them slowly. Not a problem.
snow conditions
I've been mis-sold on this thread title.
My wife is hoping for some new Head Pure Joy skis this year and I thought this thread would help me buy them!
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:
@BobinCH, chop chop sinbad. New thread? Happy to debate. Xx

Lovely! What scientific discoveries have you got to share with us today?
latest report
rungsp wrote:
My wife is hoping for some new Head Pure Joy skis this year and I thought this thread would help me buy them!

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/head/e-pure-joy-joy-9-gw.html

Happy to be of service Very Happy

Whispering if you are a « cheap cnut » you may also want to look at last years version shhhh
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/head/pure-joy-joy-9-gw-slr.html
latest report
rungsp wrote:
My wife is hoping for some new Head Pure Joy this year

I believe Tinder is the appropriate product.
snow conditions
Just taken Mrs KF's Pure Joy's in to have the rust chiselled off the edges. They have brown bases (NICE!) and cost £120 new in 2019! She is very happy with them.

I am such a cheap cnut that I have bought two pairs of 'refurbished' Line skis from Snow Inn which will, no doubt, have @CH2O burst a blood vessel! Hopefully I'll get a couple of weeks use out of them before they delaminate! Cheap Chinese cack....

Time to resurrect Snowheads Top Tips?! Don't waste money on expensive ski boots, simply glue a pair of wellies to your skis and add a couple of clothes pegs for buckles. Just claim they are 'Park Boots' as nobody knows what they are anyway!
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:

Makes me laugh seeing all the rich old euro hikers in their brand new north face gear and leki carbon poles. Wasted on them, they are still super slow. Meanwhile my £10 aluminium poles are around 5 years old, been up to 7000m, set an fkt trail run, and multiple seasons splitboarding 50+ days.

If older folk who are less fit want to spend some of their money on lighter gear to make their trek more comfortable seems like a reasonable decision to me.

As an older bug whose body has seen better days I'm just back from a cycling trip on hired bikes in Portugal, The distances were not large but with a few steep hills it would undoubtedly have been a bit easier for us all on lighter bikes than the rather heavy hybrids on offer.
latest report
@Klamm Franzer, my first skiing experience, aged 4, was in welly boots. My feet bled.
snow report
Quote:

If older folk who are less fit want to spend some of their money on lighter gear to make their trek more comfortable seems like a reasonable decision to me.

Young people in their brand new hilleberg tent for there one night of fair weather camping per year looks equally stupid. It's the whole "all the gear, no idea" regardless of age.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy