Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice Needed: 2024/25 Ski Itinerary with My Son – 3 Vallees, Dolomites, Cervinia, or St. Moritz?

Poster: A snowHead
I’m looking for suggestions or improvements for my upcoming 2024/25 ski trip with my 10-year-old son. He’s really excited about skiing in the 3 Vallees (3V). We’ll be renting a decent SUV with snow tires from Milan Airport and plan to make a circular trip, starting and ending at MXP (Milan Airport), covering four ski resorts.

My Question:

Should we focus on just the 3 Vallees and the Dolomites, skipping Cervinia and St. Moritz? Alternatively, we could remove either Cervinia or St. Moritz and extend our stay at the Dolomites to 13 days. We’re considering getting a season pass for the Dolomites, which could save us around 400 Euros.

Key Considerations:

• Driving Schedule: We plan to drive on Sundays to avoid the busy weekend crowds.
• IKON Pass Option: Initially, I considered getting the IKON pass, which would save us about 900 Euros. However, it doesn’t cover 3V, and we’d need to stay in Zermatt and buy top-ups for Cervinia. I’ve heard that while Zermatt offers incredible views and vibes, the skiing itself might be a bit advanced, especially for us.

Skill Level:

Both my son and I are progressive beginners. We’ve skied in Georgia, Kazakhstan, Turkey, and India over the past four years, and this time we’re looking to challenge ourselves in the Alps.

DateDayEventDistance
28 Dec 2024Overnight Flight
29 Dec 2024SunFlight landed, Drive300 km
30 Dec 2024Mon3 Vallees
31 Dec 2024Tue3 Vallees
1 Jan 2025Wed3 Vallees
2 Jan 2025Thu3 Vallees
3 Jan 2025Fri3 Vallees
4 Jan 2025Sat3 Vallees
5 Jan 2025SunDrive200 km
6 Jan 2025MonCervinia
7 Jan 2025TueCervinia
8 Jan 2025WedCervinia
9 Jan 2025ThuCervinia
10 Jan 2025FriCervinia
11 Jan 2025SatCervinia
12 Jan 2025SunDrive500 km
13 Jan 2025MonDolomites
14 Jan 2025TueDolomites
15 Jan 2025WedDolomites
16 Jan 2025ThuDolomites
17 Jan 2025FriDolomites
18 Jan 2025SatDolomites
19 Jan 2025SunDrive200 km
20 Jan 2025MonSt Moritz
21 Jan 2025TueSt Moritz
22 Jan 2025WedSt Moritz
23 Jan 2025ThuSt Moritz
24 Jan 2025FriSt Moritz
25 Jan 2025SatSt Moritz
26 Jan 2025SunDrive, Flight departed200 km
27 Jan 2025Overnight Flight

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insights you can offer. We really appreciate your help in making this a great trip!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My advice would be to not start a new thread for every single question you have about your trip...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tolocoman - apologies. I thought, this could be helpful for others as well who are planning similar trips and especially if it's their first time in Alps like me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd probably do 3 Valleys, Jungfrau, Arlberg (Lech/Zurs, St Anton etc.) then Dolomites to finish. 4 weeks, 4 countries, 4 huge areas, 4 very different experiences. Nice spreadsheet though!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Klamm - I have been to Jungfrau region in summer. It was extremely beautiful. But than I heard the slopes are not well connected and geared toward experienced skiers. Plus the parking is pain.

I wanted to do St Anton - than somebody told me, it’s geared towards apres skis and more reds and blacks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ankitind, personally I think you're better doing 1 or 2 spots and leaving it at that. You'll get to truly explore the areas then.

3V's to Dolomites is a pretty long distance. You're virtually going from 1 side of the alps to the other, so logistically it doesn't make sense, but if you're really keen to see the two areas, then by all means go for it, it's your holiday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@seskier I love driving and it also a means to take breaks from skiing and giving ol legs some rest in between.

I can take some city tour of Verona, Milan etc in between 3V and Dolomites.

Do you suggest spending 3 weeks in Dolomites? Won’t it get repetitive. Pardon if it’s a silly question.

If I do that - I can spend 1 week in 3V( snow sure resorts in last week of Dec) and rest in Dolomites taking their season pass. Will save around 500Euros or so
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ankitind, one thing to point out is that the New Year period is the busiest part of the season, do you have accommodation booked for that part? Other than that I think your concept here is a good one. Not sure whether Cervinia and St Moritz are the best choices. Why Cervinia over Zermatt? (Cervinia is cheaper and you can ski Zermatt assuming link open but Zermatt more impressive, though perhaps Zermatt is a bit dark in mid winter). St Moritz is an odd place, the skiing is not the best and it really is set up for very rich folk to play with their horses. You might be better off with a place in Austria, you mentioned Kitzbühel in the other thread, not a bad choice, Zillertal good too, Saalbach, Ischgl, Arlberg all make sense.

Given what you have said about your skiing level I think you will find this sort of itinerary a physical challenge you might want to include a bit more down time. Don't underestimate the effort involved in driving in the winter, mid winter weather can add considerably to your driving time. Sundays can be very busy on the roads, the 5th is going home day for a lot of people though the other Sundays should be quieter. Flying into Milan (after an overnight flight?) and then driving to 3V is a lot to try to do, are you planning to park the car at (or stay in) Orelle for the week or drive all the way round to say Courchevel or Meribel? Personally might be tempted to stay in Milan for some sight seeing before driving on.

Have you thought about ski school especially for your son?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ankitind, if you're fine with driving then no worries!

The Dolomites season pass includes 1200km of runs. If you can ski all of that in 3 weeks and get bored, then i'll be very impressed Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish when I will land in Milan - I was thinking to drive nearby Italy border that days. As the flight will land in afternoon.

And than will drive early morning to Moutiers and do ski for the day. We will be based very near to Moutiers in an apartment and will park around Merible and take lifts to go the various pistes.

I am assuming most of the drivings between resorts will be on highways like E70, A4 in Italy, S16 in Austria etc. But will try to limit by driving at 200-300km in day.

There is only one day when we will be driving 450km plus, but I might take off St Moritz completely and spend two weeks in Dolomites instead as suggest by @swskier
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ankitind, St Moritz? Why? The skiing is not anything special and it's far from anything interesting?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ankitind, I'd say 3V and the Dolomites are both good choices. I would expect you to be able to find better options than Cervinia and St Moritz. Fro your plan you are looking for two resorts between the Dolomites and v3.

I'd expect you'd get the most out of 3V at the end of the trip so you can ski more of the challenging runs.

So skiing level wise the Dolomites might be a better starting point? With the perfectly groomed pistes.

With that in mind you could start at the Dolomites then take the Alberg pass west through Austria and stop at an Austrian resort (Possibly Ischgl or St Anton). After that you could head to the Rhone valley through the Valais region of Switzerland and go to a Swiss resort (Zermatt or possible Saas Fee). The final leg would be to 3V via Geneva.

You'd end up with something like
Dolomites>St Anton>Zermatt>3V

No idea if this would fit with flights but it seems quite a good mix and order of resorts.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Henwc Since we were starting the trip on 30th Dec - I was choosing 3V for snow reliability.
I have heard last year in first week of Jan, Dolomites had really bad season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under_a_new_name we can switch to Mentoroso/St.Anton/Ischl or extend another week at Dolomites. What do you suggest?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ankitind, I'd suggest Monterosa would be a better option...
snow report
@ankitind, Other people on here will know better than me but I understand that the Dolomites has world class snow making and piste grooming so the pistes should be fine from 30 December. Happy to be corrected on this.

The off piste may be non existent if snow is bad but from your ski level it doesn't look like you'll be interested in off piste?
snow conditions
TOLOCOMAN wrote:
My advice would be to not start a new thread for every single question you have about your trip...

It's a completely different topic and would not get the attention needed in a thread about snow chains rolling eyes
ski holidays
Lots of Driving , personality I’d just stay in Italy . Cervina in January could be very bleak even worse if it’s a bad weather week , no trees and prone to wind . Id only go there in March or April .
ski holidays
Rob Mackley wrote:
Lots of Driving , personality I’d just stay in Italy . Cervina in January could be very bleak even worse if it’s a bad weather week , no trees and prone to wind . Id only go there in March or April .

I would agree with Rob here -- Cervinia is bitterly cold at the time of year (I only ever go there in March!) and lift closure is common due to winds..
snow report
@albob - Cervina is out, it seems. I will do 3V for 6 days spend next 2 weeks in Dolomites and than last week maybe in Austria (Arlberg) or Junfrau
snow conditions
Given the long distances, I really don't think you need to cram in so many resorts. Dolomites and 3V each have easily two weeks of skiing without getting repetitive, and with each (but especially Dollies) you could think of swapping base midway to maximise access. Like @Henwc I would suggest Dolomites first.

You could always break up the very long drive between those areas by stopping for a day's skiing in a smaller resort en route, but given how much skiing you will already be doing you might appreciate a city break instead.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 11-10-24 12:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@ankitind, stay in Zermatt, not Cervinia. It’s wonderful. I live in the Alps and it’s the only place I pay to visit. You will not regret it.

3V’s has great piste skiing but with Chamonix, St Moritz, Dolomites and Zermatt you’ve already got more great skiing than you can imagine and can ditch it this time to make the most out of that Ikon pass.

Sightseeing stops in Venice, Verona, Bellagio, Stresa etc are worth looking at, especially if the weather is good.
snow report
My comment is more about Days 1&2. You've got an overnight flight from Asia landing in Milan, presumably in the morning of Sunday? And then driving 300km to 3 Valleys?

Whilst that may be do-able in summer and good weather, google maps recons it's 4h20 from Malpensa to Meribel. Allowing an hour or two to collect baggage at Malpensa, and collecting the rental car, that's easily going to be 6+ hours in winter. And the difficult bit is always the last 50km from Albertville to resort. If the weather is bad that last 50km can take hours and hours. Depending on your arrival time at Malpensa, it could be dark before you get to the 'difficult' bit - it's dark by 16:30 in mid winter.

If you're flying business class, and can get some sleep on the plane, then Ok. If you're down the back of the plane in scum class, then I'd be concerned about jetlag getting the better of me, and consider taking in a day or two at a resort much closer to Milan - perhaps Pila, Sestriere, or Gressoney/Champoluc/Alagna. Or even Cervinia since that was on your original list. All of these are more like 2h30 from Malpensa.

Or just have a 'city' day in Turin, Milan or Verona, decent nights sleep, and then set off to resort #1 on Monday morning.
ski holidays
@judwin - exactly that's the plan. After landing in Milan, take a night sleep in mid way and directly reach the resort next day, only keeping 70-100km to cover in the morning next day and do checkin in Meribel after completing the first day of skiing.
latest report
backing up @Judwin comments - Can you not fly into Geneva? Milan is probably one of the worst choices to fly into to get to the 3V especially if the weather is bad. Also make sure you add a winter additive to the diesel if a diesel car from Milan....and then top up with winter diesel en route.
snow report
how bad is the road from Milan to 3V? I thought its a main highway - and they clean it often.
ski holidays
Most accommodation will be Saturday to Saturday, especially over New Year.
snow report
ankitind wrote:
@albob - Cervina is out, it seems. I will do 3V for 6 days spend next 2 weeks in Dolomites and than last week maybe in Austria (Arlberg) or Junfrau

Personally i'd say don't waste your time driving to Austria (as great as Austria is) if you really want some change, just move to a different area of the Dolomites. It will save you time and money as you can buy a 3 week pass for Dolomiti super ski and it'll be less than a 2 week pass plus 1 other in Austria.

For your standard you've described yourself, the Dolomites really are perfect for what you need.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ankitind wrote:
how bad is the road from Milan to 3V? I thought its a main highway - and they clean it often.

It's the last 50km that might be interesting, or if it is snowing low down the main routes could also be slower than expected....
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
TOLOCOMAN wrote:

It's a completely different topic and would not get the attention needed in a thread about snow chains rolling eyes

But it's basically the exact same question that they asked in the Ikon Pass for the Alps thread they created... They got a lot of good advice in there. Mostly telling them to get a different regional pass and not try to travel as much. So apparently when they didn't like that advice, they felt the need to start another one. Plus the snow chains one. And chains had also already been discussed in the Ikon in the Alps one...
snow report
After considering all the suggestions and factoring in our skill level and my son’s wish to ski in 3 Vallees, I’ve finalized our ski trip itinerary. We’ll be starting at Serre Chevalier, which I found to be great for beginners and conveniently located near Milan.

After 2 days of rest, we’ll head to 3 Vallees for some skiing before making the long drive to the Dolomites, where we’ll spend 10 days skiing, with a rest day in between.

Unfortunately, we decided to skip Zermatt/Cervinia. The resorts were a bit too pricey, and it would’ve increased our travel time. Plus, staying near Visp or Sion and having to take the train from Täsch every day felt like too much hassle. As many of you pointed out, Cervinia can be quite exposed during the second week of winter, so we’ll leave it for next time.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

snow report
Sounds a workable plan.

My only thought is for your day labelled "explore Courchevel, Val Thorens". Courchevel is not a sensible place to visit by car from Les Menuires, and you will have probably already seen the ski front there on your ski days. Val Thorens is the village higher up the same valley than Les Menuires, you will have visited it on skis many times by then. I would start your trip to the Dolomites, and find a suitable overnight (maybe Verona).

But I am biased, I avoid any plan for myself that involves 700 km drive in a day.
snow report
@ankitind, keep your rest days flexible if you can. You’re travelling in mid-winter and will get some bad weather days. Best use those as your rest days. Not sure you want to be resting if you’ve just had a 5 day storm and your rest days are on bluebird powder days!
ski holidays
I too think the fundamental plan looks good but would question the rest days.
Briancon is a pleasant place to visit and well worth anyone's time though you don't really need a full day in January to explore it.

13th may be unlucky for some but I am not sure you absolutely need to invite such luck.
I'm sure somewhere there is a masochist who could spend many hours contemplating the contrasting pleasures of having their eyes poked out with a red hot wire and being forced to spend non skiing time split between Courchevel and Val Thorens, most other would consider that there are many North Italian towns and Cities between the 3V and the Dolomites that are considerably more worthy of rest time than an expensive concrete eyesore.
latest report
@TOLOCOMAN, ah. Ok, I didn't read the IKON thread
snow report
@j_b and @T_Bar – I agree with both of you. The exploration days in Briançon and Courchevel may not make much sense since we’ll likely be having lunch there while skiing. I’ve kept those days as buffers in case we need flexibility due to bad weather.

For the 3 Vallees, there’s an extension option for €45 (adult) and €35 (child), but I couldn’t find a similar option for Serre Chevalier. If we encounter stormy weather, these buffer days could come in handy. I really wish they offered something like a “6 out of 7 days” pass. The Dolomites, for instance, offer a “10 out of 14 days” pass, but since we’ll be there for exactly 10 days, a straight 10-day pass makes more sense for us.

@BobinCH Unfortunately, we won’t have much flexibility after December 10th, as that’s when the free cancellation period for all our hotels ends. Here’s hoping the weather gods don’t send a 5-day storm—otherwise, my son and I might end up spending our days playing board games!

@j_b – Yes, I know 700 km in a day is a bit intense, but I’ve tried to keep all snow driving in the first half of the day. I’ve also (strategically, if I may say so!) planned it so that after 3 p.m., we’ll be at lower altitudes, making the drive a bit easier.
snow report
@ankitind,
The old bit of Briancon which is the really pleasant bit to visit is actually a bit away from the slopes and not really easy to visit with skis and boots but it is worth seeing.
Courchevel rather less so though it's dead easy to visit from the slopes.
latest report
T Bar wrote:
The old bit of Briancon which is the really pleasant bit to visit is actually a bit away from the slopes and not really easy to visit with skis and boots ....

To put it mildly! It would be a dreadful drag in ski boots to walk there. Probably a kilometre from the lift, maybe more.

But old town Briancon is definitely worth visiting, particular for visitors who haven't encountered the traditional hilltop walled towns of old Europe. It would be a good destination for an evening stroll and a meal when you are based in Serre Chevalier (you will need to decide which of the several centres to make your base). On the other hand I can think of no reason to visit Courchevel other than to access the ski lifts.
ski holidays
My comments on the (latest wink ) plan...

1. Arrive Milan, drive to Susa, do you have time to sort the skis??

2. Drive from Susa to Serre Chevalier, I assume this is by the 1800m Montgenevre Pass. I hope it's not snowing hard! snowHead

3. Serre Chevalier...nice spot, but will be busy over New Year (as will most places). Blues in France can be tricky for beginners, greens are easier.

4. Briancon...nice historic town, but it's just one street really, not sure you want a whole day there. One late afternoon/evening maybe??

5. Les Menuires...it's cheap for a reason, it's ugly and stuck at one end of the 3V. Serious terrain in 3V, the runs off the high ridges that divide the valleys are mostly red. Let's hope your son makes good progress in Serre Chev! Shocked

6. Nothing much to see at Courchevel or VT that you can't see as you ski around. Both are modern resorts with very little interest. The best bit of the 3V is the vastness of the interlinked ski area, not the resorts.

7. So you might want to split the 700km drive across to the Dolomites?

8. Cesiomaggiore??? Not a good place to be based for skiing, miles from any resort. Cortina is 1h40 away in good conditions. You'll soon get tired of those commutes. I gave you a few cheaper places to look on the other thread.

9. Badia...great spot! But only 4 days?? Sad

This YouTuber has a hotel in Badia, some great ski content on his channel of all the routes you can do in the area...great day last year 31st December with his two young sons in some epic snow...can't guarantee the same this year though...

http://youtube.com/v/zMlDYWLrrpE

10. Sirmione by Lake Garda is a nice spot. Would be worth leaving the autostrada at Rovereto Sud and crossing over to Torbole and driving the entire eastern side of the lake if it's a nice day, stopping at Malcesine for an ice cream!! Cool

11. I'll leave it there for now! snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 11-10-24 20:03; edited 4 times in total
latest report
@T_Bar @J_B – I’ll be staying just across from the Ratier Gondola, near Saint Chaffrey. If we get the chance, we might visit Briançon, the birthplace of Alpine skiing, but we’ll likely ski on Day 7 as well.

That said, we do plan to explore Briançon—perhaps drive in, park somewhere, and have dinner there on a few evenings.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy