Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ikon Pass for Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
I am planning a 30days skiing drip in Jan with my 10year old kid in Alps. I will be renting a car and would like stay at 20-40mims of travelling distance for each resort.

Please Suggest - if buying Ikon or Epic pass makes sense. I will be accompanying my kid all the time - so most probably we will be doing Blues and Reds.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What resorts are you wanting to hit? Are they included on either pass? You don't get many days at most European resorts with either of those passes.

Generally speaking, something like a Tirol Pass or the Salzburg Super Pass would get you a lot more resorts to choose from for not much more money.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have never done skiing in Europe. Just checked Tirol Pass is of similar cost to that of Ikon Pass.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stay in one resort, linked to one big area, and purchase a season ticket.

Examples include Sauze d'Oulx at the cheap end, or Courchevel 1850 at the high end.

Better to spend 2hrs a day skiing or drinking than driving.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I compared the prices of several ski passes for one adult and one child and found that they are quite similar. The IKON Pass is priced at $1,645, the Tirol Snow Card costs $1,562, the Dolomiti Superski pass is $1,575, and the SuperSki Premium pass is $1,462. Despite slight differences, all of these options are within a close range in terms of cost.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What $ are you counting in and will you also be in N America or Australia for part of their season? I don't think I'd go Ikon for a winter in Europe alone. Epic maybe if you wanted to base yourself around Andermatt and Crans Montana with possibly a week in 3V or the Skirama Dolimiti.

Tirol or Salzburger or the newly available to non residents Innsbruck Freizeitticket might be the way to go more generally for max variety with more affordable valley lodgings.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about the Magic Pass for Swiss resorts?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ankitind,
What languages do you speak? May affect where you would be looking to go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When adding up the costs of individual 7-day passes for 3 Valles ($800), Dolomites ($600), Cervina-Zermatt ($740), and Kitzbühel ($500), the total comes to $2,640. In comparison, the IKON Pass costs $1,645 for an entire season.

That means if I were to buy individual passes for all four resorts, I’d end up spending $995 more than if I had just purchased the IKON Pass. So, while I’m still thinking about it, the IKON Pass definitely seems like the smarter financial choice if I plan to visit multiple resorts or ski frequently throughout the season.
This is for 1 Adult and 1 Child
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
What $ are you counting in and will you also be in N America or Australia for part of their season? I don't think I'd go Ikon for a winter in Europe alone. Epic maybe if you wanted to base yourself around Andermatt and Crans Montana with possibly a week in 3V or the Skirama Dolimiti.

Tirol or Salzburger or the newly available to non residents Innsbruck Freizeitticket might be the way to go more generally for max variety with more affordable valley lodgings.

As I see it, the Epic & Ikon would only make sense for Europe if you were going to use them elsewhere the rest of the season as the restrictions on use and scattered location of their European partner resorts make its use impractical for a 30 day trip.

One of the regional season passes or a season pass for a large ski area make more sense as you wouldn't have to spend so much time and expense moving about.

@ankitind, which airport will you be arriving at? That might suggest which area might make most sense for your trip.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ankitind wrote:
When adding up the costs of individual 7-day passes for 3 Valles ($800), Dolomites ($600), Cervina-Zermatt ($740), and Kitzbühel ($500), the total comes to $2,640. In comparison, the IKON Pass costs $1,645 for an entire season.

That means if I were to buy individual passes for all four resorts, I’d end up spending $995 more than if I had just purchased the IKON Pass. So, while I’m still thinking about it, the IKON Pass definitely seems like the smarter financial choice if I plan to visit multiple resorts or ski frequently throughout the season.
This is for 1 Adult and 1 Child

Not sure if you realise there are long driving distances involved there in potentially severe winter conditions...but if you want to 'do the Alps' in a month, go ahead! Shocked

You will need a car equipped with snow tyres for Austria and Switzerland. Rental cars in Italy & France don't always have these.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have Jeep Renegade with snow chains. I have good experience driving in high mountains in Himalayas but not in snow.

I was thinking of itinerary
Milan Airport to Val Gardena
Val Gardena to Kutzbel
Kutzbel to St Moritz
St Moritz to Zermatt
Zermatt to Chamonix
Chamonix to Milan AirPort

6-7 days of skiing in each resort

I am also looking at season passes for Tyrol.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ankitind wrote:
I have Jeep Renegade with snow chains. I have good experience driving in high mountains in Himalayas but not in snow.

I was thinking of itinerary
Milan Airport to Val Gardena
Val Gardena to Kutzbel
Kutzbel to St Moritz
St Moritz to Zermatt
Zermatt to Chamonix
Chamonix to Milan AirPort

6-7 days of skiing in each resort

I am also looking at season passes for Tyrol.

The snow chains are legal for Italy, but not for Austria (& possibly Switzerland), they insist on winter tyres, you would be in a lot of trouble if you got checked by Police, got stuck on the road or were involved in an accident, you would be uninsured, which is a big problem in Europe. You can sometimes guarantee winter tyres with some companies in Italy for extra cost. You might want to check if the hire company allow you to cross-border too. A lot of the route is low lying, so hopefully not too much snow, but you never know and it's likely the Jeep Renegade (or similar) will be a 2WD model anyway, offering little advantage over a normal car.

Your itinerary would be about 1,600km of driving, a lot of road/tunnel tolls & other complications like Zermatt is a car-free resort, so you would have to pay to park your car in a garage for a week and take the train in. I'm pretty sure getting from St Moritz to Zermatt in winter involves putting your car on a train in a tunnel as the high passes are closed. Those resorts are some of the most expensive to stay in the Alps. Plus you would be driving past lots of other amazing resorts along the way.

Are you taking your own ski equipment? Otherwise it will mean swapping hire equipment each time you move.

It would make more sense to choose a region with lots of resorts close together that is more readily accessible from your arrival airport.

But I guess you want a big road trip and bragging rights that you have skied some big names in 4 different countries in the Alps...it will look good on your Instagram.... Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What you say makes sense. I am now looking at season passes in Austria and spend time there. Will also check for 4x4 car with winter tires.

I will be buying skis from decathlon or similar near Milan airport.

I wanted to do 3 Vallées but it’s very expensive for 30 days or season pass.

Any recos for season card in Austria that get access to few good resorts.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dolomiti Superski might be your best option ... 12 resorts, enough to keep you busy for a month.

Season ski pass if bought before 12/24/2024 (24/12/2024) is €945 adult/€630 junior and allows you 5 days in Madonna Di Campiglio.

Jeep Renegade with chains is OK, easy drive from Malpensa.

Finding accommodation this late for 30 days could be a challenge, prices are bit lower in Italy and if you want to take a break from skiing (I doubt you would ski every day but hey - why not ...) you can easily do a side trip to Verona or Venice.

Suggestion: if buying skis and have accommodation locked in you can buy them online and shipped to your accommodation, would save you some $$$/€€€ ... don't forget to get VAT (tax) back when leaving EU, that would save you additional 15%-20%

www.snowleader.com
snow conditions
Junior season ski pass with the purchase of adult ski pass at the same time is actually only €325 ...
snow conditions
Dolomites looks beautiful in pics and videos. But in maps - all resorts look really far to each other. Any suggestions for itineraries.

Also how is Ischigal combined with Kitzhbul using Snowcard Tirol. The price is around $1500 or so.

I also check Tignes is around $1900 for season pass.

Any recos, please
snow report
@ankitind, are you coming from America? As I understand it, the Epic/Ikon passes are really aimed at North American skiers and the Euro resorts signed up are a very odd mix.

Not at all a good itinerary for European skiing.

Unless you want to do the old 18th century thing of "doing" Europe in a month rolling eyes

European skiing, in many/most cases is nothing at all like NA skiing. IMV you'd be far better off buying any of:

- Mont Blanc Unlimited (cheap week next week)
- Grand Massif, not so much skiing but really cheap
- Magic Pass (Valais)
- Portes du Soleil

etc., those are just the ones I'm familiar with.

Also, rental cars, there's no guarantee you'll be getting a Jeep, let alone a Renegade ...
snow report
I don't have much to add to the discussions about best area, but wanted to echo pp that you are not guaranteed to get the exact car you booked. I don't know how US airport rentals work but European ones will just guarantee you a certain size/class of car. I don't think I've ever been given the make/model that I expected when I booked.
snow report
@ankitind,
For specifics about skiing in an area or accessibility of resorts on a pass you'd get more response by starting a new thread with the area and/or pass in the thread name.
And when in January are you looking to start your 30 days. This could effect where to go due to local holidays, especially schools.
snow conditions
I am coming from Asia.

i am finally settling on getting Snow Card Tirol and spending time on resorts like Ishgl, KitzSki, Zillertal, Ladis etc.

I will picking the car from Milan airport - drive for 30 days and return it back starting last week of Dec. If I take 4x4 with winter type the rental shoots up from 1200Euros to 2800Euros
snow report
Take the train to Innsbruck and pick a car up there?
snow report
Innsbruck is extremely expensive - its better to take a 4*4 car with snow ties in Malpensa.
Is driving to Val Thornes from Malpensa also unsafe in summer tires with winter chains?
snow report
The other thing is that all those resorts are accessible by public transport. If you are planning on staying in one place for a week at a time and skiing the local area, your car may not actually get much use, and it will be much cheaper to use the bus or train a few times to move between resorts.
snow report
I have messaged Galdieri Rental company - from whom I renting the car, if they provide winter tyres in addition to paid snow chain upgrades. Waiting for their reply.
snow conditions
ankitind wrote:
Is driving to Val Thornes from Malpensa also unsafe in summer tires with winter chains?

I believe you are also required to have winter tyres in France.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, yes, in that bit of France.
ski holidays
Having bad experience with Galdieri Rent via DiscoverCars. On their voucher they have written
---
Additional
information
By law, winter tires are mandatory on all roads from 15.10 to 15.04 in the following regions: Aoasta-Valley.
By law, winter tires are mandatory on all roads from 15.11 to 15.04 in the following regions: South Tyrol.
Snow chains are recommended in icy/snowy conditions, especially when traveling in mountainous areas.

---

And when i am asking to upgrade summer tires to winter tires (paid upgrade) - they say they can't. And if i drive in any of regions - my insurance will also be invalidated.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ankitind, Then you need to cancel and rent from another provider.
snow conditions
@ankitind, I think your Ikon Pass idea is a good one. With 30 days you get 6 days in 5 of the best ski areas in the world. And you get to ski France, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. That would make an incredible trip!
ski holidays
@BobinCH, with 6 days driving?
snow report
I think you're now getting on the right track with buying a regional pass and moving around less.

Buy a Tirol Pass for 950€. Fly into Zurich, where you are guaranteed winter tires. Stay in Landeck for the 30 days. Ski a bunch of places on your pass that are all short drives from there. Do about 5 days of skiing in Arlberg, costing you another 350€.

For a total of 1300€, you'll have had the ski vacation of your life.
ski holidays
I'd seriously suggest you have a think about what sort of skiing you want to do and what your 10 yr old and you can manage. If you are improvers on the piste skiing reds, blues and easy blacks, I'd go to the Dolomites. Much closer to Milan and a much easier drive. Better scenery, better weather, better cheaper food, and seriously endless amounts of runs. I'm a bit confused by your thinking the resorts there are far apart. I've only skied in Alta Badia (twice) but I'd happily go back again, there's loads more on the connected Sella Ronda resorts that I haven't managed to get to in 12 days. Then there's a 10 min minbus to 5 Torri and another ski area, including a long gondola to Cortina (2 big more areas). There's Alp de Siusi across Ortesei and a couple of areas in Val di Fassa that involve an escalator or 2 gondolas in a row. Then there's Kronplatz (25 min bus from Alta Badia) and Civetta (20 min bus from 5 Torri area between Armentarola and Cortina) and another 3-4 areas within a 30 min drive. 3 Zinnen is a little further but I'm pretty sure you'd not get everywhere in a month. If you want ski routes, steep blacks and moguls, head elsewhere but the best scenery is all 3-4 hrs drive and it makes no sense to blast past it to go to Austria. Which Milan airport are you flying into? I'd be (a bit) surprised if you can't find anyone hiring out a car with winters from Malpensa (the biggest).
latest report
ankitind wrote:

By law, winter tires are mandatory on all roads from 15.10 to 15.04 in the following regions: Aoasta-Valley.
By law, winter tires are mandatory on all roads from 15.11 to 15.04 in the following regions: South Tyrol.

Not sure that is correct. Puzzled

I'm still seeing that carrying snow chains (and using them when conditions dictate) is sufficient in winter in all regions of Italy, as has been the case for a number of years. Of course, you would be safer with winter tyres fitted.

https://www.autobrennero.it/it/in-viaggio/info-viaggio/obbligo-pneumatici-invernali/

https://www.alvolante.it/da_sapere/legge-e-burocrazia/cambio-gomme-invernali-quando-farlo-a-cosa-serve-costi-e-sanzioni-380122

I had a look and can't find anything that says any different this year for those two regions.

I have driven on numerous occasions in Italy in winter with summer tyres and chains in the boot. I have never needed to mount the chains.

Just don't go trying to cross high passes in a snowstorm! (they will close the road anyway)

Once I was given a car with winter tyres (I hadn't paid extra) and there was a heavy snowfall right down to the valley one night, so I was glad of them in the morning.

Can you cancel that reservation and rebook one with winter tyres?

If not, you will have to stay in Italy with the chains in the boot.

In Austria, you must have winter tyres fitted in winter. The snowfalls can be heavy there and the temps are generally colder. Rental cars in Austria are fitted with them as standard, probably one reason they are more expensive. Shocked

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 10-10-24 17:30; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Chronic_Beginner wrote:
I don't have much to add to the discussions about best area, but wanted to echo pp that you are not guaranteed to get the exact car you booked. I don't know how US airport rentals work but European ones will just guarantee you a certain size/class of car. I don't think I've ever been given the make/model that I expected when I booked.

Yes, it always says 'or similar'!

I once booked a Toyota Rav4 from Milan Linate for a very nice price. Of course they had run out of them, were offering a Renault Captur which wasn't big enough and ended up with a Ford Transit minibus! Laughing Laughing
snow report
I got winter tires using Noleggiare car rental. They are charging around 200Euros for 28 days rental period. Now Finally I have a car (Mitsubishi ASX Automatic) with snowchains and winter tires. I had to call multiple rental companies - all refused except Noleggiare. I have to write to them 15 days prior to arrange for snowtires.

@bobinCH I gave up idea of Ikon Pass. As travelling between Kitzbuhel - Zermatt and St.Moritz was too cumbersome.

Many forum members suggested to have base in Cervina instead of Zermatt - if you are driving.

@what...snow - We are improvers - can do reds and blues and not black. I love Dolomites scenery, but for some reason - 3 vallees, I can't take our from my mind. Exploring multiple resorts, traversing ridges - somehow, its looking very attractive to me. But the season pass is super expensive. Though I am saving money on nearby accomodations in 3 vallees. While on the other hand, Ski Dolomites pass is dead cheap compare to 3 Vallees, the accommodations have shot up.

@TOLOCOMAN - I am also overly inclined for Triol Ski Pass, and would love to do Ischgl, Kitzbuhl etc.

Lastly, I love the 1 month pass provided by Cervina-Zermatt. More resorts should provide these kinds of passes - smaller than season pass and bigger than weekly passes.

But everyone on this thread - I love you guys. You guys are so so helpful.
snow conditions
ankitind wrote:
I got winter tires using Noleggiare car rental. They are charging around 200Euros for 28 days rental period. Now Finally I have a car (Mitsubishi ASX Automatic) with snowchains and winter tires. I had to call multiple rental companies - all refused except Noleggiare. I have to write to them 15 days prior to arrange for snowtires.

@bobinCH I gave up idea of Ikon Pass. As travelling between Kitzbuhel - Zermatt and St.Moritz was too cumbersome.

Many forum members suggested to have base in Cervina instead of Zermatt - if you are driving.

@what...snow - We are improvers - can do reds and blues and not black. I love Dolomites scenery, but for some reason - 3 vallees, I can't take our from my mind. Exploring multiple resorts, traversing ridges - somehow, its looking very attractive to me. But the season pass is super expensive. Though I am saving money on nearby accomodations in 3 vallees. While on the other hand, Ski Dolomites pass is dead cheap compare to 3 Vallees, the accommodations have shot up.

@TOLOCOMAN - I am also overly inclined for Triol Ski Pass, and would love to do Ischgl, Kitzbuhl etc.

Lastly, I love the 1 month pass provided by Cervina-Zermatt. More resorts should provide these kinds of passes - smaller than season pass and bigger than weekly passes.

But everyone on this thread - I love you guys. You guys are so so helpful.

I was going to suggest searching here for better prices on car hire...

https://www.skyscanner.net/carhire/results/95565070/95565070/2024-12-28T13:00/2025-01-25T12:00/30

But I see you have one...well a reservation for one. Automatic AND winter tyres in Milan...and you need to write to them 15 days ahead?? Sounds like they're not too sure they will actually have what you need! Puzzled

Exploring multiple resorts and traversing ridges...that is the Dolomites too! 3V is nice, but overrated IMHO. You can stay in Val di Fassa (Pozza, Vigo, Moena, etc) and commute up to the Sella Ronda, it's a lot cheaper than Val Gardena and lots of worthwhile smaller resorts to visit if you have a car (Catinaccio, Passo San Pellegrino, Latemar, Carezza, Alpe Cermis). Then maybe relocate to somewhere near Brunico and you can ski Kronplatz, Drei Zinnen, Gitchsberg, etc along the Pustertal Valley. Would be good to ski Cortina, they have the Womens WC Racing in mid-January there. San Vito di Cadore is a cheaper place to stay.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Landingpages/Map

Yes, Cervinia would be easier with a car than Zermatt, esp from Milan! snowHead I don't think you would want a whole month there though!
snow report
@luigi - I spoke with the agent (Noleggiare) for 15 minutes. She kind of guaranteed me that, after paying 220Euros - I will get the winter tires. Now all i can do is keep my fingers crossed.
I might do all there 3V, Cervina and Dolomites. Spend last leg in Dolomites.
The good thing is Cervina and Dolomites offer 50% discount for 10 year old, while 3V only offer 20% or so. My kid for some reason is super-excited about 3V. I might remove Cervina.
ski holidays
ankitind wrote:
@luigi - I spoke with the agent (Noleggiare) for 15 minutes. She kind of guaranteed me that, after paying 220Euros - I will get the winter tires. Now all i can do is keep my fingers crossed.
I might do all there 3V, Cervina and Dolomites. Spend last leg in Dolomites.
The good thing is Cervina and Dolomites offer 50% discount for 10 year old, while 3V only offer 20% or so. My kid for some reason is super-excited about 3V. I might remove Cervina.

Fingers crossed here too! wink

I've skied all 3 of those places, they are all fantastic, iconic places with some outstanding skiing & scenery, so you will have a great time. Cool

It will be a lot of long distance driving, but I guess if you're travelling all the way from Asia, it won't seem so far! snowHead
latest report
ankitind wrote:

Ditch Kitz and do 7 days in the other 4 with a couple of rest days / driving days
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy